TEMAC Indoor Funfly - Dec 26, 2017, 6pm to 10pm

Started by Michael, December 07, 2017, 03:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

It's been a few years, but we're having another indoor funfly at the Metro Golf Dome, on December 26, 2017, Tuesday evening, 6pm to 10pm.

125 Milner Ave, Scarborough, ON M1S 3R1

Light, slow and indoor type models only.

We'll determine then and there if there is a need for special time slots for 3D flying, or if that will be moved to the back of the dome, and we'll try to accommodate very light and simple helicopters and drones. Please, nothing heavy nor fast.

This event is for TEMAC members only; I will act as "contest director" and my decisions regarding model aircraft flying will be binding.

$15 per flyer. Of course, MAAC and TEMAC membership are mandatory.

Michael

Michael

It's been suggested that we invite a few non-members. If we open up the event to non-members, then we need to sanction the event through MAAC. At this point, this is a simple private event, but, if one or two (and I mean one or two) people want to invite one or two (and I mean one or two) ex-members or regular friends of TEMAC, then please let me know.
Michael

Michael

I'm going to bring this new E-Flite twin Aero Commander, among other planes.

Anybody else planning to go?

Michael

sihinch

I'm hoping too, but haven't raised the subject at home yet!!!

bweaver

I will be there.  Got a new Nieuport slow flyer to try out plus a few other micros....

Gregor77

Mmmmmm. Need to find a slow enough. Or should I say small enough plane.

Frank v B

"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on December 16, 2017, 11:13:47 AM
Reporting for Dome duty. :)

Frank

Hey @Frank v B,

Does that mean you're going to shave your head?!!!  I don't know if I can cope with such evocative visual imagery.   8)

Andy

Michael

I wanted to try something different at the Dome Fly, so I bought this older (2001) balsa ARF at A+J Hobby. It's about a 57" wingspan, and it's very light, and I have all the components to finish it. It's a Kavan Bloody Mary, and they just don't make 'em like this anymore. It came with a small geared brushed motor, which I have replaced with a brushless system, which will probably end up weighing less than the original intended motor system. I've spent a few hours on it, and I'm sure it'll be a good and very slow flyer.

Michael

Frank v B

Donation of prizes.  It is up to Michael to either auction them off or set up a raffle at the Dome Fly.  Photos below.

1) OS motor OMA 3820 1200- a 600 watt system (3-4S)  Suggested retail price $145.00
2) E-Flite 450 890 kv in a box.  Retails for $62.00
3) Three powerful servos: A set of 3 standard size but powerful BB metal gear servos Airtronics 94851 161 0z/inch (4 x a standard servo!)
4) A set of DuBro snow skis for a .25-.40 size plane 9.5" long, 2.5" wide.  Andy's lecture on snow skis and asparagus rubber bands is free! ;D
5) Prop Balancer: Top Flite Power Point Precision magnetic prop balancer.  I have one of these and they are phenomenally accurate.

photos below:

Palkina

Michael

Small or micro quads are allowed to fly.

Anything that is fast or noisy, that might jeopardize the safety of other pilots or their planes, will not be allowed.

Michael

Michael

Thanks Frank!

Considering the cost of the venue ($550), I would prefer to auction the prizes to benefit TEMAC.

An auction will only take 1 minute or so, per lot.

If you're interested in bidding, bring cash.

Starting prices will be at about 20% of retail.

Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

Fine.  Go for it.  I will bring the items to the Dome Fly..... along with cash.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on December 21, 2017, 08:31:13 PM
Donation of prizes.  It is up to Michael to either auction them off or set up a raffle at the Dome Fly.  Photos below.

1) OS motor OMA 3820 1200- a 600 watt system (3-4S)  Suggested retail price $145.00
2) E-Flite 450 890 kv in a box.  Retails for $62.00
3) Three powerful servos: A set of 3 standard size but powerful BB metal gear servos Airtronics 94851 161 0z/inch (4 x a standard servo!)
4) A set of DuBro snow skis for a .25-.40 size plane 9.5" long, 2.5" wide.  Andy's lecture on snow skis and asparagus rubber bands is free! ;D
5) Prop Balancer: Top Flite Power Point Precision magnetic prop balancer.  I have one of these and they are phenomenally accurate.

photos below:

You can tell Frank is totally conditioned to expect a response from yours truly!  He always offers the most tempting and flavourful bait!!

Here are a couple of my asparagus bungee set ups.  I prefer this to the torsion springs provided by DuBro (although I don't see the springs in Michael's photo).

Andy