Bent motor shaft is now straight!

Started by Frank v B, December 14, 2017, 10:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Had two E-Flite in-runner Series 6 motors with bent shafts.  Put in an order for some new shafts until I found out they were $37 apiece.  Yikes!!  :o :o Cancel that idea. ???

Here is how I straightened the shaft. I stuck the shaft portion into my trusty cordless electric drill so the end of the chuck was where I thought the bend started.  I then spun the drill which showed clearly which way it was bent.  The whole motor wobbled.  When I found and confirmed which way it was bent, I carefully held onto the drill and bent the motor housing in the opposite direction.  Then started the drill again and the wobble was noticeably reduced.  Did this about 5 times until the motor kept true at full drill speed.

The main tricks:
- work slowly since bending metal is never good.... but worth it at $37 a crack. :D
- do not over-bend the shaft because the metal will fatigue faster.

It was very surprising that a seemingly minor bent shaft was so accentuated when the drill was spinning the motor the first time.

Purists in the crowd may cringe and conjure up words like fatigue, stress, cracks, etc.

Realists in the crowd will try it. 8)

Note: I tried it in a drill press as well.  It is a lot easier because the motor shaft is held absolutely straight so it is easier to find which way to apply pressure to bend it back.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Andy is waiting with great anticipation for Frank's DIY shaft straightening demo YouTube video!!  8)

Frank v B

Frank v B

Andy,

Do you know how tough it is for a guy who still uses a 72 meg radio to make a video, sound convincing and upload video $hit onto Youtube?   I have just mastered posting a photo on our Forum.  My two computer savvy sons are out of the house and don't want to come back. My dear wife refuses to help me for reasons of "aiding and abetting"....... and all this work to achieve ONE solitary view on Youtube. ;)

Compromise: I will bring my drill and a motor with a bent shaft to the January meeting.  You can take the video and post it if you wish..... or dare.  If you and I view the video on Youtube that will double the views to two! ;D

Your best friend,

Frank

Andy Hoffer

You're in good company Frank. I've never posted anything to YouTube either!!!

But we can sure do some way cool video at the January meeting!

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

re:  "I've never posted anything to YouTube either!!!"

Lemme see!   Don't you fly 72 as well?  That, and age (maturity), must be the common element!! ;D
Luckily we have Oscar in our Club.  We can ask him for guidance.

Frank