Frank's Chica build

Started by Frank v B, December 19, 2017, 09:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Photo 46- found a laser cut plywood Speed 400 firewall and doubled it up with lite ply so the glue has more bite.

Photo 47- glued one firewall on top of the other and then used the Dremel with a drill bit to duplicate hold-down screw holes and vent holes.  Note: I decided to go with the Series 6 2700 kv.  The snarlier higher KV motor had different mounting hole spacing.  Yes, sanity set in... finally. ;D

Photo 48 screwed the motor to the firewall and wrapped waxed paper around the motor so errant glue doesn't grab it.  Don't ask me how I know! :)

Photo 49- dropped the whole motor assembly onto the nose and clamped it.  Let it dry with the fuse standing up vertically.  The clamp is just to make sure the fuse sides are properly squeezed together.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Where is the seed dispenser?!! 8)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy

re:  "Where is the seed dispenser?!! 8)"

You mean the balsa seed planting device. I used to plant balsa tree seeds but found it was waaayyy too slow.

I have perfected the technique of grafting balsa to ground cover (corn last year).  A high speed dive fuses the balsa to the root structure and cuts the growth time in half.  That's why I always refer to it as a "fuse".  You may consider it a noun (fuselage), I consider it a verb (to fuse...).... actually a very active verb (to fuse at high speed..). 8)

Frank

Andy Hoffer

You're right.  You don't need a seed dispenser. 

Your aircraft constitute the better way, as Refuse generators!

As always, I am in total awe!!

Andy

Frank v B

Photo 50- stab and fin/rudder.  Angled the stab tips to match the wing tips.

Photo 51- wing ready for finish sanding, filling and aileron installation

Photo 52- Taped the spinner to protect it from the sanding block when rounding off the nose.

Photo 53- The look of the whole fuse. Rough sanding completed.

Photo 54- cut the fuse top to access the wing slot.  Wing will be removable.

Frank v B

Photo 55- shows the wing bolt plate.  Will be drilled and tapped.

Photo 56- did not like the gap between the spinner and the firewall.  Inserted four pieces of 3/32" balsa around the motor vent holes and sanded it to match the nose contour.

bweaver

Quote from: Frank v B on January 04, 2018, 11:18:32 PM

Photo 56- did not like the gap between the spinner and the firewall.  Inserted four pieces of 3/32" balsa around the motor vent holes and sanded it to match the nose contour.
[/b]

Frank,

What do 'they say'?  "Measure twice and cut once."

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on January 05, 2018, 09:05:09 AM
Quote from: Frank v B on January 04, 2018, 11:18:32 PM

[/b]

Frank,

What do 'they say'?  "Measure twice and cut once."

I believe @Frank v B  opts for the speed build technique: cut now, (skip the measurements), cut some more, sand furiously, trim the rest in flight!  8)

And why get so precise about what you're going to plant anyways?!!

Andy

Frank v B

Bruce:

re: "Measure twice and cut once.".  Measure?.... what is that? 8)

Andy,

re: "cut now, (skip the measurements), cut some more, sand furiously, trim the rest in flight!  8)" 
Precisely.  Action vs perfection!  Oh, BTW, I hate perfectionists.  They only hide behind the mask of "perfection" because they can't make a damn decision and never want to, or can, finish anything. :P

If you guys had any more building experience than you have ( ;)), you will have learned that spinners come in two types.  One with a recessed back plate which would have covered the gap, and one with a flat back plate.... which was the only one of this size I could find in my collection of useless airplane parts.

... at least you read my post!  Mission accomplished.

Frank

Oh, Bruce, where were you yesterday when BJ and I showed up for the Morning Crew lunch??  Are you that afraid of us that you couldn't make it.  We don't bite.  The Morning Crew were perfectly gracious hosts. ;D

bweaver

RE - "Oh, Bruce, where were you yesterday when BJ and I showed up for the Morning Crew lunch??  Are you that afraid of us that you couldn't make it.  We don't bite.  The Morning Crew were perfectly gracious hosts."

Frank, obviously you do not read as you have repeatedly told me and others many times. However as I have said, I believe it just a matter of your comprehension.  (Yes Frank, if you notice I used the words 'repeatedly' and 'many times' in the earlier sentence for your benefit.)

Also  for you further benefit FRANK, I will repeat the reason for failing to attend the morning crew lunch on Thursday.  Katie has the flu, so I did not want to bring the bug with me to infect my friends.  (Frank the underlining is for you - to emphasize what you failed to comprehend.) If I had been less considerate and a less "perfectly gracious host", (please note I coordinate with others the morning crew lunches) I would have attended the Thursday lunch.   Further, knowing now that you finally graced our table on Thursday, I would have sat beside you and shared your cutlery

PS - Since Thursday I have only had to call Bulla a few times myself last night. I am feeling a bit better now..., thanks for asking.

Everyone please remember this is the Flu Season.  As Katie now says, "wash your hands and fist pumps only for the time being".

Andy Hoffer

Wow!  This is like watching a manure spreader in the spring!  I'll bet the airplanes will really grow well next season!  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Hey Andy,

re: "Wow!  This is like watching a manure spreader in the spring!"

Do you have any experience putting manure back onto the spreader cart?  I am a city guy.
How about putting brown genies back in a bottle?

Do you think I woke Bruce up from a very deep sleep or rescued him from the great white telephone or something like that? ;)

Bruce will be fine after some Mexican sun, a Warwing build class and a spring flying session.  For me, two out of three would suffice.

Frank

bweaver

By the way your Chica is coming along nicely.

:o Oh got to go back to the bathroom....   :-[

Frank v B

Back to building.  The final touches before the final sanding.

Photo 57- adding the tips to the solid stab and elevator.  These tips are to make sure the stab does not warp along the grain.  They are wider and longer than they are supposed to be.  Will trim them to the proper size (length and width) once they dry.  Note that the elevator has not be separated from the stab yet.  This way the whole thing can be final sanded so everything matches perfectly.  The last step is to separate the elevator from the stab, angle sand one part.  Plan to use SolarFilm hinges.

Photo 58- Installing the battery hatch magnets.  I mixed micro balloons in with the 5 minute epoxy, put wax paper between the hatch and the fuse, gooped on the micro balloons, installed the hatch with wax paper between the two magnets and turned the fuselage upside down to dry.  The stuff dried as you see it here, neatly embedding the magnet.  Put a little piece of carbon veil on the inside of each magnet to help support and strengthen it. (barely visible).  Note: I did not install the battery hatch in the bottom per the plans.  I find it is easier on the top.

Photo 59 - the wing bolts were tapped into the hold-down block and the magnets were installed on the back of the hatch which covers the top of the wing.  Added the balsa afterwards because the cut was not straight.  It filled the space between the fuse and the hatch.

Photo 60- wing tips were added and ailerons installed (hinged with CA hinges).  Hinges will not be glued in until after covering.  The photo is of the bottom of the wing.  The angled aileron gap shows.

Hey Bruce- notice the white TV remote control below the wing in photo 60 you so kindly donated to a good home a year ago. Works fine. :)

Spackling (a.k.a. filler) has been added to the open joints and gaps so it can cure overnight.

The dust devil will strike tomorrow.  Sanding, sanding and more sanding. :D

Frank v B

Final details:

Photo 61- Capping the tail piece.  Just glued a random piece of balsa across the tail end of the fuse because it is full of glue joints (fuse sides, top bottom, 4 corner balsa strips and tri-stock).

Photo 62- tail piece sanded to shape.  Note: I have not cut through the stab slot because this keeps the spacing even during the covering process.  Otherwise it squeezes the gap closed when the covering is shrunk.  It is cut through once it is covered.

Photo 63- All the pieces sanded with final details.  Note i) the slot in the fuse top for the fin/rudder.  It was cut with an Exacto knife and then accurately squared off with a slot screw driver.  Run it twice along the bottom of the slot and it will be completely square.  Magic!.  ii) The small hole cut into the bottom of the wing sheeting to extract the aileron servo wires.  I ran a bead of 5 minute epoxy around the hole to stop it from splitting along the grain  iii) The wing dowels are loose.  I ran them through a pencil sharpener to make them pointy.  The dowels are glued in place after covering.  iv) the elevator servo installed.  I glued it in place.  Note: test and center the servo before installation.  The first one did not work!  I glued the servo in place.   v) The stab has been trimmed to size.  Have not cut the elevator yet.

Photo 64- Close-up of the servo.  The green tape on the hatch is a temporary handle to open and close it.  I make a small tab with the covering to make the permanent handle.  I cut vent/cooling holes in after covering and use Wendy's spoons to make the vents.
The little piece of balsa stuck cross-wise in the fuse side above the servo is to fill an accidental groove from the sanding process. (Oops)

Ready to bring to the build class!!!!!!

Frank