Frank's Chica build

Started by Frank v B, December 19, 2017, 09:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Speaking of your photo quality again.  61 through 64 are so small now I can't even find them in order to try and enlarge them.  :P

Frank v B

Bruce:

Just re-Weavered (re-Weaverized?) the photos.  How's that?

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

They look great Frank.

It's nice to see how well you respond to positive reinforcement!!  (I like that Weaver guy.)  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Back to this build again today.  Just finished the Corsair.  Now comes the covering job on the Chica.

Problem- the wing saddle was bigger than the wing.  Remember I wanted to make the wing removable.  The plan showed a fixed wing.  For some unknown reason the root shape came out different from the plan.

Had to fill the gap between the wing and the fuselage.  Normally I would build it up and sand it to shape until the wing fit.  This time I did the reverse.
1)- put waxed paper around the wing
2)- cut 1/16" balsa cross-grain to fill the gap.  Put carpenters glue on it and slipped the balsa strip between the fuselage and the waxed paper on the wing.
3) stuck toothpicks in the gap to bring the balsa filler up tightly up to the wing's waxed paper and let it dry.
4) cut the toothpicks off, filled the gaps with a light filler, let it dry and sanded it.  The wing now sits perfectly in the saddle.

Photo 1- shows the toothpicks pushing the balsa up against the waxed paper on the wing
Photo 2- shows the filler sanded off.  Ready for the final sanding of the fuselage.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 13, 2018, 10:24:09 PM
Back to this build again today.  Just finished the Corsair.  Now comes the covering job on the Chica.

Problem- the wing saddle was bigger than the wing.  Remember I wanted to make the wing removable.  The plan showed a fixed wing.  For some unknown reason the root shape came out different from the plan.

Had to fill the gap between the wing and the fuselage.  Normally I would build it up and sand it to shape until the wing fit.  This time I did the reverse.
1)- put waxed paper around the wing
2)- cut 1/16" balsa cross-grain to fill the gap.  Put carpenters glue on it and slipped the balsa strip between the fuselage and the waxed paper on the wing.
3) stuck toothpicks in the gap to bring the balsa filler up tightly up to the wing's waxed paper and let it dry.
4) cut the toothpicks off, filled the gaps with a light filler, let it dry and sanded it.  The wing now sits perfectly in the saddle.

Photo 1- shows the toothpicks pushing the balsa up against the waxed paper on the wing
Photo 2- shows the filler sanded off.  Ready for the final sanding of the fuselage.

Frank

I will provide more in-depth photo coverage of @Frank v B's toothpicks after he does one of his flying master classes!  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Now that the plane is covered and assembled as outlined in the covering thread
http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6499.0.html
let's go back to the final details.

- connected the elevator pushrod/servo
- installed and bound the radio
- installed the ESC and battery with Velcro
- connected the ailerons via wire pushrods. 

The photos below show the steps in making a "Z" bend in piano wire.

Step 1-bend 90 degrees where you need the bend to start.  Photo 1439
step 2- Put the pliers across the 90 degree bend as in photo 1440.  Push the left end down.  See photo 1441
step 3- place the pliers on the tip as in photo 1442 and twist the point 90 degrees in line with the rest of the pushrod (counter clockwise in this photo).
Final "Z" bend photo 1443

Frank

Frank v B

Lastly, a provision for airflow over the battery and ESC.  The scoop in the battery hatch was made from a plastic spoon.

step 1- cut off the tip of a plastic spoon- outline shown in photo 1435
step 2- place the spoon tip on the hatch and mark the outline with a pen
step 3- cut a slot on an angle with an #11 blade
step 4- cut out a hole in the hatch.  I used a knife.  Can use a Dremel with a drum sander.
step 5- glue the spoon tip in place.... yep, with 5 minute epoxy.
step 6- painted the balsa edge with white paint. Photo 1438

The last photo (1437) shows the hatch on the plane.

Finished!!!!!

Stats: 
weight 28.4 oz
3 cell 2200 mah, 40 Amp ESC
300 watts
motor E-Flite Series 6 28 mm inrunner  2700 KV (34 amp max, 375 watts continuous)
5x5 APC prop.

Frank

Frank v B

Finished plane- viewed from the top

Frank

bweaver

OK, Which is it?

:P

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on February 21, 2018, 11:27:30 PM
OK, Which is it?

:P

Oooooo!  SO succinct!  8)

(But it is beautiful !!  PLEASE let me photograph it - before you fly it!)

Andy

Frank v B

Mr. Weaver, I cannot answer the question until I fly it.  I need something to blame a crash on.  If it flies fine, it is the one on the left.  If it crashes it is the Weaverized version of the plane.

Yes Andy,  I will let you photograph it before and after the first flight, however long or short it may be.

Rob D's Chica flew so he can coach me on what to do.

The Morning Crew had lunch today despite being Weaverless.  Bruce, I am concerned you may be down a pint.

Frank

bweaver

Frank, please don't worry.  I am never down a pint, even after giving a pint...   :-*

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: "I am never down a pint, even after giving a pint"

I'm not concerned about medical issues like giving a pint.  You have a resident nurse to monitor that.  I was concerned about you being a pint behind in the beer count. ;D

Frank