Tony Nijhuis Hurricane

Started by the giant, December 30, 2017, 09:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the giant

After the crash of my Spitfire a replacement warbird build was required.  I have had the Nijhuis plans for a few years and this is where it is at to this point.  It will be done in desert colors again (it is the scheme i like).  But it has been an interesting build.  There are some great build photos on Tony's web site so you can see how it has gone together. (The fuselage was not very traditional)

bweaver

sihinch

My favourite WW2 aircraft! Fabulous. Can't wait Andre. Good luck.

Gregor77

the giant

Ready for a test flight.  The Hurricane has come out at 7 lbs, 6 oz.

sihinch

Looks Magic. Good luck Andre - be sure to let us know how the maiden goes.

Andy Hoffer

Hi André,

It is absolutely gorgeous!  When do you think you might have it at TEMAC?  I would love to do portraits of you and the plane, preferably early morning or late afternoon light.

Cheers!

Andy

Frank v B

Hey Andy H.,

The guy in Andre's cockpit looks like Charlie's identical twin brother!!!

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Hey @Frank v B ,

At first glance there is a slight similarity to Charlie, but the body language is all different on André's pilot. Instead of throwing tantrums and shaking his head "NO!" all the time, André's pilot shows a very positive, straight forward attitude! 8)

@the giant has raised the bar!!

Andy

BJROB

Yes "Attitude" is everything  ::)
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

the giant

Test flight update:  The first flight on the Hurricane went very well.  Got airborne, trimmed out the plane, flew around for a couple of minutes, did a roll an or d landed.  A video will be coming soon. 
The second flight: The take off roll did not go so well.  The Hurricane nosed over and the motor burned up.  The ESC is perfectly fine.  I am sure that when it nosed over I got the throttle down, but something didn't go right. so...
If anyone has a extra motor kicking around that they would like to sell I am looking for something like an eflite 60 or some brand of 5050 500 kv motor that I could install. I want to turn a 13 or 14 inch prop and produce 900 watts.  That will make a significant inprovement in performance. I would like to up the voltage as well from 4 cell to 6. But if a 4 to 5 cell motor is available and it can handle 60 amps I would be interested in that option also.

Andy Hoffer

Hi André (@the giant),

Found a couple for sale on RCCanada that might work for you, both priced at $75.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=555946&highlight=Hacker+A50-12S
http://www.theampeer.org/ampeer/ampapr13/ampapr13.htm#A50-12S

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=565089&highlight=E-Flite+60

Looking forward to seeing your reconstituted Hurricane.  Congrats on the successful maiden.

Andy

sihinch

I might have one Andre. Free to you. I think it's a 5055. I'll check tomorrow.

the giant

Any chance it could find its way to Kingston?

the giant

ON my way to Kingston, i stopped in at Pinnacle.  I picked up an Eflite 60 previously owned by Jerry Key.  It has found a new home in the Hurricane.  It is mounted and waiting for a test flight.  It is going to be powered by a 6s pack now.  She will really sit up and take notice now.