PT 19 Build (Pilot Kit)

Started by bweaver, December 30, 2017, 12:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

All the TEMAC balsa construction posts that are going on have got my creative juices flowing.

This post will follow the steps that I must take to build this kit.

Photo 1 Clean the workbench off and find the project

Photo 2 Found the project

Photo 3 Make sure it is the right project

Photo 4 and 5 Make sure all the parts are there and identify the kit's inspection certificate so you know who to blame when you can't find a part

Photo 6 Get prepared to lay out plans on work bench surface and to protect them from messy over-glue. I use waxed paper.

Photo 7 Determine what part of the plane to build first - I'm going to start with the fuselage.  Review and consider plan instructions. (Unlike Frank, I will likely follow them.)

Photo 8 and 9  Find parts necessary to start construction of the fuselage. Gently remove parts and get ready to build.

Wish I had Michael's, Rob D, Rob P, and other club members construction abilities.  (Especially Rob D's because I would be finished by now.)  Time for a nap.

octagon

Looks good Bruce. If you want to bring the parts for the wing over I'll build it  tonight for you (no Leaf game tonight).
What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: instructions "(Unlike Frank, I will likely follow them.)",

I don't follow instructions because I am a man.  Men can neither read nor follow instructions. 
What's wrong with you Bruce. ;)

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Ah, what a nice nap. 

Rob, Thanks for the offer to build the wing for me last night but I think I will make this project all by myself.  (maybe a mistake, but...)

Started the fuselage build by putting together the fuselage side plywood formers, the plywood bulkheads and balsa wood formers and one stinger on the top of the fuselage.

I have to say the quality of this kit is just amazing.  After taking the time to protect the plans from glue, (I originally thought I would have to build the fuselage directly over the plans, like I have in the past with other kits) I realized the fuselage in this kit isn't built over the plans.  All the ply and balsa pieces are so good and match up perfectly together, that they build a straight fuselage without a warp or twist while not having to build over the plans.

Quote from: Frank v B on December 31, 2017, 10:33:33 AM
Bruce,

re: instructions "(Unlike Frank, I will likely follow them.)",

I don't follow instructions because I am a man.  Men can neither read nor follow instructions. 
What's wrong with you Bruce. ;)

Frank

Frank, I must disagree with your comment. 

Some men can and do read. Obviously you can read a little, but have trouble comprehending what you read. I have to clarify for your sake what I said. "I will likely follow them".  That doesn't mean I have to follow them. In this case I did, because I think so far I haven't made any mistakes. All the parts appear to be in the right places. (Refer to photos)

the giant

I am so glad to see that builders are alive and well.  Nice work so far on the '19.

Frank v B

Bruce:

re: "I think so far I haven't made any mistakes."

You have kids, you have crashed airplanes (two biplanes at least), and you consider me a friend.  Huge mistake(s). ;D

Frank

Wingnutz

Glad to see models being built in the usual serious, respectful, no kidding TEMAC manner.  Perhaps this thread will turn out as entertaining as the Snowballs vs Frank banter posts...the thread is definitely showing promise ;)
Nice work Bruce!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

bweaver

Thanks Bill,

So nice to hear from you.  All the best to you and your family in the New Year.  Hope to see you out with us for some flying this year.

bweaver

Now that my crankiness is gone, I have got back to building.

For the benefit of all, I am no longer going to pick on anyone...

But Frank and Andy... please note that in today's agricultural industry/scene, a manure cart is no longer the term or type of equipment used, unless used for dispensing only small quantities. (What the heck is Bruce talking about?)

I have finished the structure of the fuselages now, so as Frank would say, "The dust devil will strike tomorrow.  Sanding, sanding and more sanding."

Next construction steps will involve the tail surfaces.

Has anybody worked with this kink of cowling material?  Appears to be white plastic.  No instructions in the kit on how to glue or fuse it together.

Frank v B

Bruce,

Michael's Kobra has a white plastic turtle deck.  Visible in his Jan 5 post showing the fuselage.  Maybe he has crossed that bridge already.

Frank

bweaver

Had the Shop vac, Dremel, Dura Grit files, shaping wheel, grinder, home made sanding blocks, etc. out to take on the task of shaping the fuselage.  As you can see in the photo below I have got this part of project started. 

NOTE : To those who take on this type of task in a finished part of your home (not within an enclosed work room/shop) I would recommend you have a caring partner who can appreciate that before the project is done there is going to be a bit of debris about.  In order to reduce this problem, I have my shop vac running with the hose placed in the vicinity of where I am shaping/sanding/grinding/etc.  This practice reduces the dust considerably and also lets me continue to build in the house.

I have to go out and buy some dowel for shaping/sanding the final shape of the wing and stabilizer fairings.

Also note that the tail section is just sitting on the fuselage for photo purposes.  These pieces have to be shaped and the hinges have to be installed. The horizontal stab and elevators will also have to be covered before permanently attaching to the fuselage.

Next steps - further shaping and starting the wing construction.

bweaver

The 1st picture in this post illustrates that the wing construction is underway.

The 2nd picture in this post is for Frank's benefit.  Frank, it is 2018.  Catch up with the times.  Pins still, really? 

The 3rd picture also illustrates that there are various other techniques and aids that could be used to hold parts together while the glue cures.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on January 13, 2018, 11:00:28 AM
Had the Shop vac, Dremel, Dura Grit files, shaping wheel, grinder, home made sanding blocks, etc. out to take on the task of shaping the fuselage.  As you can see in the photo below I have got this part of project started. 

NOTE : To those who take on this type of task in a finished part of your home (not within an enclosed work room/shop) I would recommend you have a caring partner who can appreciate that before the project is done there is going to be a bit of debris about.  In order to reduce this problem, I have my shop vac running with the hose placed in the vicinity of where I am shaping/sanding/grinding/etc.  This practice reduces the dust considerably and also lets me continue to build in the house.

I have to go out and buy some dowel for shaping/sanding the final shape of the wing and stabilizer fairings.

Also note that the tail section is just sitting on the fuselage for photo purposes.  These pieces have to be shaped and the hinges have to be installed. The horizontal stab and elevators will also have to be covered before permanently attaching to the fuselage.

Next steps - further shaping and starting the wing construction.

How about enclosing your immediate work area with a 6-mil polyethylene vapour barrier curtain taped to the ceiling and weighted down to the floor.  And you could really impress Kate by exhausting your shop vac (assuming it has a good HEPA filter on the air exhaust) to the rest of the house, thereby creating a negative pressure in the work area so dust won't escape to the rest of the living area.   She would be in awe!!   8)

Handy Andy

bweaver

Andy, I will ignore that.  By the way, Kate is already in awe!!! I don't need to impress her and you don't need to go and tell her about how I can improve the cleanliness in my work-space either.

Frank, further to my comment about pins above (at least use 'manly pins'.)  :-*

The photo was added for Franks benefit.  As 'someone' has said, a picture is worth a thousand words.  (Especially for Frank)

Andy Hoffer

I think Bruce is upset because Kate took him to task for all the balsa dust in the fine table cloth in the background of the photo in his last post!   8)

Andy