PT 19 Build (Pilot Kit)

Started by bweaver, December 30, 2017, 12:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I sprayed my Phantom with Home Depot household paint. Like Rob said, just thin it lots - I used water, and then I had a fairly high spray pressure with a fine mist setting. And did a few layers. It does work and I'm my opinion, the spray finish is way more durable vs. brush on.

Happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

bweaver

Taken a few more steps... Getting closer!

sihinch

That looks beautiful Bruce. Congratulations!

Michael

Michael

Frank v B

The last photo looks like the Cox PT-19 trainer. 

All that is missing is the nasty finger-cutting, backward running, fuel starving Cox .049, the Red Goldberg control line handle and the braided lines.  Oh, yes, the two rubber bands holding the wing and the two rubber bands holding the motor mount onto the fuselage.  Memories!

Looks great Bruce.... oops, another compliment.  Sorry. :-X

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Well the PT 19 was finished and made it out to Mayden Fest. 

The last things that had to be done to it involved paint/modify the 1/8th scale pilots I purchased, so that they would no longer look like twins.  The pilot in the back is permanently installed, while the pilot in the front is removable and functions as part of my flight battery cover/hatch/pilot - whatever.

At Mayden Fest, the winds were relatively strong and primarily from the west for most of the afternoon, (significant blustery crosswind) but they dropped and started coming from the northwest, giving me time for a test flight before going home.

It flew great.  Very little trim adjustments necessary.   I am going to increase the throws on the ailerons and elevator.  Other than that she's ready to hopefully keep on flying.

A couple of pictures taken by @Andy Hoffer  can be seen on the Mayden Fest link at http://temac.ca/smf/index.php?topic=6587.msg43199#msg43199

Does this airplane make my Butt look big?

piker

Awesome project, Bruce!  The plane looks great against the grey sky. 

Congratulations on a successful first flight!

bfeist

Looks great, Bruce! I just read the whole thread start to finish. Looks like a good winter spent.

bweaver

Thanks for the compliments and comments on this post. 

When writing my post I often poke fun at a lot of things and practices and get some help from others in this area as well.  @Frank v B 's and @Andy Hoffer 's comments, suggestions, witticisms, etc, help to keep me from taking myself too seriously.   It obviously works...  The comments of encouragement are also really helpful from others.

As you can see from following this post, I am not a fast builder. I don't have to be unless I have to finish a stage of the plane so that I can clean up the shop area of the house so that it can be used for other purposes. (Usually company - With family coming, it can usually stay as it is.) Trust me, with my workshop circumstances I am very fortunate to have a loving and supportive partner who recognizes the personal value I get from my hobby.

For those of you who haven't built a model airplane, please let me put it this way - If I can do it, anyone can.  Building/repairing, modifying, frankenplaning, etc., are enjoyable parts of my hobby along with the flying and comradery I enjoy with my TEMAC freinds.  Flying something I have actually built gives me a great feeling of accomplishment.  You may want to try it. 

Thanks again.  Hope to see you at the field.

Bruce