PT 19 Build (Pilot Kit)

Started by bweaver, December 30, 2017, 12:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Bruce  re: "further to my comment about pins above (at least use 'manly pins'.)  :-*"

The only reason you use "T" pins is so you know which way is up. "T" for "Top".  You kept puncturing your fingers when you used regular pins for regular people. ;D

Andy re: "I think Bruce is upset because Kate took him to task for all the balsa dust in the fine table cloth "
Be very careful drawing Kate into any issue.  If you think she would punish Bruce getting dust on the table then you obviously don't know her.  Her punishment for Bruce causing dust is likely to be that he had to spend two extra hours down in the basement building model airplanes for his own safety.... so she could cool down and not kill him. ;).

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Whats up .....?

bweaver

Simplifying the last post. (Refer to photo.)   As one person we all know might understand, a picture is worth a thousand words.  In this case only one.  It is a noun.

What's up ..-. .-. .- -. -.- ?   ???

If you guess correctly and can make it out to next Wednesday's build class, you have won a warwing kit! The first correct answer is the winner.

sihinch

bweaver

:o
Simon, you have won.

Now here is a choice for you; one of the warwings you ordered is free if you want, or you can have another one for free.  What is your choice, knowing that if you take one of your ordered warwings, I will still offer another one up for free, based upon another quiz?

sihinch

Please offer the free one as a prize for another.

I'll keep my 2 paid for Warwings pls.

bweaver

Simon, "NO", you one fair and square. 

I will be introducing on the forum a new topic for the next Warwing Prize.   Details to come.

Frank v B

re: "for the next Warwing Prize.   Details to come."

Oh, no.  The Foam Gnome is at it again.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Frank, the "FOAM GNOME" is the nicest thing you have called me in a long time.  Now I know you care. 

Regarding the : "for the next Warwing Prize.   Details to come." Continue to watch the Forum for a new topic called "Win A Warwing Kit Quiz" The new quiz will allow every TEMAC Member to be eligible to participate during hours when most people will not be at work.

I know why Frank wants me to bring out my PT 19 Wednesday and I don't care...  In order to minimize the anticipated negative comments about my building skills or lack there of, I will only be bringing out the PT 19 fuselage to next the Wednesday build session. 

I am not willing to share the quality of my wing construction at this time. I think it will be better for TEMAC members to appreciate the wing once it is covered and attached to fuselage, and in the air, while applying Frank's 50/50 rule.

Doing things this way hopefully will encourage other members to not be afraid to build their own model aircraft.  They will find it relatively easy to construct their aircraft to a standard they can be proud of (which is what counts) and that can easily exceed mine.

I have broad shoulders.  I can take it  :'(

bweaver

Thanks Frank for the clarification on what I did wrong with my wing construction. Your Corsair build latest post at http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6459.msg42038.html#msg42038

Photo 26-  Right side (starboard) of the wing Slowly pulling everything together. None of the ribs have been glued on the main spar yet.  Started out with gluing the leading and trailing edge against the two outer ribs of each section then once the 5 minute epoxy dried, glued the rest of the ribs to the leading edge, let that dry, then the trailing edge let that dry and then do it over again on the second half.

Back to my old rule of thumb "build one half of the wings and then make exactly the same mistakes on the second half (chord, span, etc.) and it will fly fine."

I will follow your rule precisely for my next build, where a wing is constructed not directly over/on the plans.  As noted earlier, I will cover my errors with this wing and also use your other rule.

bweaver

I have to get back at my PT 19 construction project.  The club's Mayden Fest will soon be here and if I don't get going, I won't have the PT 19 ready to go... (May 5th)

The impressive construction results of Rob's @octagon  Beech 18, @Michael 's Gee Bee and Sig Cobra, Glenn's @electroflyer Mosquito and @Frank v B  's non stop construction and reconstruction of various aircraft posted on the Forum have put my winter construction activities to shame. (Although I have been out winter flying where many have not.)

Getting back to the PT 19 project - Before Kate and I traveled south for our mid-winter break, I visited Pinnacle Hobby and purchased a new Eflite 25 brushless 870 Kv motor that will provide more than enough power for the PT 19 to become airborne and do all the stuff I want it to do. 

I have continued working on the wing.  I have installed a single servo control set-up recommended in the kit for the aileron functionality. 

I have also temporarily positioned the main landing gear for the photo.  The landing gear will be permanently installed after the wing has been covered.

Next I will be converting the present motor mount arrangement into a new firewall for the brushless motor.  In my next post I will provide details of the steps taken to accomplish this modification.

bweaver

1 - Lay out plans for overlaying of brushless motor to determine its correct location and ensure prop is in the correct location for clearing the cowling.

2 - Determine the new firewall location and draw it on the plan.

3 - Identify that portion of the existing mounting elements that will remain to support the new firewall.  This will determine the existing materials that have to be cut away.

4 - Cut away as necessary.

5 - Check for correct cut and firewall alignment.

6 - Make new firewall and secure with epoxy.

OH Forgot - If you are @Frank v B  Take step 7 - This involves not doing anymore.  For that matter go to bed to allow epoxy enough time overnight for it to cure.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on March 13, 2018, 05:07:31 PM
I have to get back at my PT 19 construction project.  The club's Mayden Fest will soon be here and if I don't get going, I won't have the PT 19 ready to go... (May 5th)

The impressive construction results of Rob's @octagon  Beech 18, @Michael 's Gee Bee and Sig Cobra, Glenn's @electroflyer Mosquito and @Frank v B  's non stop construction and reconstruction of various aircraft posted on the Forum have put my winter construction activities to shame. (Although I have been out winter flying where many have not.)

Getting back to the PT 19 project - Before Kate and I traveled south for our mid-winter break, I visited Pinnacle Hobby and purchased a new Eflite 25 brushless 870 Kv motor that will provide more than enough power for the PT 19 to become airborne and do all the stuff I want it to do. 

I have continued working on the wing.  I have installed a single servo control set-up recommended in the kit for the aileron functionality. 

I have also temporarily positioned the main landing gear for the photo.  The landing gear will be permanently installed after the wing has been covered.

Next I will be converting the present motor mount arrangement into a new firewall for the brushless motor.  In my next post I will provide details of the steps taken to accomplish this modification.

Hey @bweaver ,

Has Kate noticed the missing plumbing that you cannibalized from your house?!!  8)

Andy

bweaver

RE:

Hey @bweaver ,

Has Kate noticed the missing plumbing that you cannibalized from your house?!!  8)

Andy

Hey @Andy Hoffer

As @Frank v B would say - "Andy, Andy, Andy.  You don't no Kate.  Kate appreciates all her household plumbing remaining in tact.   Kate also appreciates Bruce's organizational skills using plumbing fixtures.  They keep his airplanes off the ground in the house and organized in the car." 

Further Andy, I don't utilize used plumbing fixtures.  I use nothing but brand new stock, dry fit, so that the storage arrangement can be readily adjusted with ease to suit the ever changing needs of my hobby components.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on March 17, 2018, 12:10:00 PM
RE:

Hey @bweaver ,

Andy

Hey @Andy Hoffer

As @Frank v B would say - "Andy, Andy, Andy.  You don't no Kate.  Kate appreciates all her household plumbing remaining in tact.   Kate also appreciates Bruce's organizational skills using plumbing fixtures.  They keep his airplanes off the ground in the house and organized in the car." 

Further Andy, I don't utilize used plumbing fixtures.  I use nothing but brand new stock, dry fit, so that the storage arrangement can be readily adjusted with ease to suit the ever changing needs of my hobby components.

One cannot help but be in awe of our incredible CFI, @bweaver .  I am certain @Frank v B would agree that we are truly blessed.  8)

Humbly yours,

Andy