PT 19 Build (Pilot Kit)

Started by bweaver, December 30, 2017, 12:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Well moving right along...  Have you ever seen a snail race?

I am a great one for procrastinating.  Hinging (cutting out and installing hinges) is not one of my favorite activities, so I delay, delay and delay... until @octagon tells me to try his hinge slotting machine from Great Planes. 

Well was I impressed. In no time, I was able to slot the ailerons, the wing for the ailerons, the elevator, the rudder and the stabs.   I need to get me one of those machines. (Refer to photos below.)

Before you post a cranky response,  'No' @Frank v B, the hinges haven't be glued in yet.  Only one half of them have been.  The ailerons, rudder and elevator will bevinstalled permanently after all the parts have been covered.  I find it easier that way.

Unfortunately, now I have to make my own set of Salt and Pepper shakers for attaching and reinforcing the vertical stabilizer to the rear of the fuselage. At least I know who blame for the missing parts in the kit.   I think the individual responsible is Inspector 30233.  (Refer to photo #4 of December 30th entry.)  Now I am going to ask @Andy Hoffer  to write the manufacturer of the kit a letter on my behalf. 

Frank v B

Bruce:

re: Andy writing the manufacturer about the missing pieces.  I saw his first draft.  It went something like this:

Dear Dipstick Manufacturer,

I am a friggin' retired man on a fixed pension and bought your PT 19 kit.... only to find out the tail fin fillets were missing.  Please get a set (Port and Starboard) to my house immediately before I set my 8 lb ferocious Mexican Beast free to go to your place and collect them for me.

Yours truly,

Bruce "the Terrible" Weaver.
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Re - Dear Dipstick Manufacturer,

I am a friggin' retired man on a fixed pension and bought your PT 19 kit.... only to find out the tail fin fillets were missing.  Please get a set (Port and Starboard) to my house immediately before I set my 8 lb ferocious Mexican Beast free to go to your place and collect them for me.

Yours truly,

Bruce "the Terrible" Weaver.

Thanks @Frank v B .  This draft letter will be a great start for @Andy Hoffer to consider, however I must add that my Cha Cha is offended that you call her an 8 lb ferocious Mexican Beast.  She is not an ounce over 4 lbs. 

Besides, Cha Cha hasn't personally met Andy yet, so we don't know how she would react to him.  Where with you, she would only feign friendship with you when you were willing to share your lunch.  How many fingers Frank?

bweaver

Mounted the motor.

Made and shaped the salt and pepper shakers (as @Frank v B would call them 'tail fin fillets').  Frank I am not preparing a salmon or trout!

I put together the engine cowl and painted it.  (Thanks to everyone who replied to my request for assistance in this regard.)  @Andy Hoffer, would you also add in the letter to the manufacturer that they did not include the instructions for the cowling.  After trimming the two sides of the cowl and attaching them together, I ended up cutting them apart and started over.  No problem though, I figured it out.  No kidding...  There certainly was a lot cutting of the raw cowl pieces!  (If I had only noticed earlier the trim lines provided on the inside of the cowl pieces, the cowl would have been put together a lot faster.) 'Capillary action'.  Have you heard of that Andy?

Now I have to finish shaping the fuselage and wing where necessary and install the radio components, push-rods etc.

The battery will be installed and removed through the front cockpit opening.  Lots of room available to due this.

Then I'll cover all surfaces.  Install the tail horizontal and vertical stabs, tail wheel, landing gear, balance, test and take the finished aircraft to Mayden Fest. That's right Andy, it is spelled M-A-Y-D-E-N Fest.

Late Note:  Yes, I spray painted the cowl while Kate was a work...

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on April 02, 2018, 01:39:18 PM
Mounted the motor.

Made and shaped the salt and pepper shakers (as @Frank v B would call them 'tail fin fillets').  Frank I am not preparing a salmon or trout!

I put together the engine cowl and painted it.  (Thanks to everyone who replied to my request for assistance in this regard.)  @Andy Hoffer, would you also add in the letter to the manufacturer that they did not include the instructions for the cowling.  After trimming the two sides of the cowl and attaching them together, I ended up cutting them apart and started over.  No problem though, I figured it out.  No kidding...  There certainly was a lot cutting of the raw cowl pieces!  (If I had only noticed earlier the trim lines provided on the inside of the cowl pieces, the cowl would have been put together a lot faster.) 'Capillary action'.  Have you heard of that Andy?

Now I have to finish shaping the fuselage and wing where necessary and install the radio components, push-rods etc.

The battery will be installed and removed through the front cockpit opening.  Lots of room available to due this.

Then I'll cover all surfaces.  Install the tail horizontal and vertical stabs, tail wheel, landing gear, balance, test and take the finished aircraft to Mayden Fest. That's right Andy, it is spelled M-A-Y-D-E-N Fest.

Late Note:  Yes, I spray painted the cowl while Kate was a work...

Hi @bweaver ,

I guess an in-depth discussion of etymology is in order.   8)

Andy

sihinch

Oooo! Nice shiny cowl Bruce!  :)

Andy Hoffer

Wow!  And a stunningly beautiful paint job on the parts dish in the background of Photo #378.

Andy

bweaver

Re @Andy Hoffer ,s comment  "I guess an in-depth discussion of etymology is in order." 

No, totally unnecessary.   Just check the TEMAC Events Calendar.   ::)

bweaver

No I haven't forgot about it.  Just 'slothing' along.  While it is getting there, I am down to the last few items necessary to finish it off.

See photo below.  I wish I had attended the pilots meeting more than a year ago that featured the topic about paint matching. http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6064.msg39457.html#msg39457

Now next question.  Has anyone sprayed painted a cowl or plane using the Home Depot sample paint?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on April 16, 2018, 10:05:47 AM
No I haven't forgot about it.  Just 'slothing' along.  While it is getting there, I am down to the last few items necessary to finish it off.

See photo below.  I wish I had attended the pilots meeting more than a year ago that featured the topic about paint matching. http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6064.msg39457.html#msg39457

Now next question.  Has anyone sprayed painted a cowl or plane using the Home Depot sample paint?

Hi @bweaver ,
Close, but no cigar.  I have only used an airbrush to paint my Pitts cowling with SIG butyrate dope thinned with acetone.  Try @Gregor77 .  He has painted everything on the planet at least once with every type of paint, and he is really good at it.

Frankly, I think the colour scheme you've got right now looks great!!

Andy

octagon

Hi Bruce,
I have used the home depot samples quite a bit. I have sprayed them with an airbrush, but of course you have to thin them way down, and then just patiently build up layer after layer. I think I used alcohol to thin the paint. It came out alright in the end, but then again I was touching up some camouflage on a Hurricane. You might have to spray a gloss topcoat if you do not want a flat finish.
What could possibly go wrong?

bweaver

Thanks @octagon  for the information.

I have sent a PM to @Gregor77 looking to get some guidance from him on this subject as well.   Any other help from anyone else on this subject of spray painting using Home Depot sample paint would be appreciated?  As a result of my having no experience in this regard, I would like confirmation on what to use to dilute the paint to make it suitable for spraying.  What consistency should it be.  Rob suggests alcohol.  I prefer drinking it.  Has anyone else used this?

I would also like to note for those that are mocking me on my color matching abilities is that what came out of the spray can to paint the cowling wasn't the same blue paint that was shown on the lid of the spray can.  See the first photo below.  (I didn't think my eyesight and color differentiation  was as bad as the results.) We will see on my next try.

The next two photos below illustrate the stage I am at now with the Fairchild PT 19.

It is all covered.  The landing gear is installed.  All the servos and push-rods are installed and tested with the servo tester.

Steps I have left to finish the plane include:

Install the receiver, ESC, battery installation components (foam), straps, and balance the plane while doing this.

Install a fake pilot and a base under it to act as the the battery hatch cover which is the front cockpit.  The rear cockpit will not have a pilot, but have a cover installed in the manner shown on the plans and the interior will be painted black.

Repaint the cowl, paint, cut and install the two cockpit windshields.

Secure the cowl with screws to the mounting hardwood contacts on the fuselage.

Install the decals and tighten up the covering film where necessary.

I hope to have all of these tasks completed tomorrow, ready for Mayden Fest.  (We'll see - 'best made plans')

Andy Hoffer

Wow!  You should ask for a refund on the spray paint.   The colour swatch on the lid is not even close to what came out of the can!!

Your plane looks beautiful!  Way to go!

Andy

piker

The PT19 is looking very nice.  I'd get another can and respray.  The lid looks like a great match.

I painted my SE5a with sample paint from Home Depot matched to the drab green Solartex I was using.  I can remember the mix ratio but I'm thinking about 50:50 with water and some Windex.  I think the alcohol in the Windex helps slow the otherwise fast drying of the latex paint.  I used an auto style spray gun with my compressor on low pressure.

bweaver

Thanks Rob P.  I am considering the other Rob D's, your suggestion and a few of the options I've seen on internet searches as well.  Thanks again.