Rob's Hangar 9 P47 Assembly

Started by octagon, January 29, 2018, 07:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

So last Friday I picked up the new Hangar 9 P47 Razorback. It is a really sweet Arf, that I am installing retracts and flaps on. The flaps have internal control rods so not control horns sticking out. Everything in the kit is true and square and goes together really well, except the gear doors. Best guess is they have upgraded or improved the mounting system that ties the doors to the included oleos. Long story short, I kind of messed them up. Called Horizon today and they are sending me new gear doors n/c. What a great company for customer service! The cockpit is fully detailed and the pilot looks a lot like a pilot instead of Bert or Ernie. The plane has a 67 inch wingspan, and I will power it with a Power 60 and and 80 amp Esc. Being a thunderbolt, it must have a big nasty 4 blade prop, so I have to figure that out. It comes with 3 different sets of graphics which allows one to customize it. I should be finished by the weekend, about 30 hours in or so.
What could possibly go wrong?

octagon

A couple more pictures

Michael

Michael

battlestu

agreed very nice ... can't wait to see at the field (and get some great photos)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

electroflyer

Frank v B

Rob,

Nice looking plane.  Close-ups show a lot of attention to detail.  The 50/50 rule does not apply.

... and I knew you when you were flying 3S, 2200. ;)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

octagon

Ok finished  all ready to go....................almost. To get 120 or so watts per pound, I will have to fly it on 8s. So I put a couple of 4s in series into it and the ESC would not arm. I am using an Opto with as Castle BEC. Would arm with 6s no problem. Stumped I went over everything ,only to find my BEC was only rated for 6s. Today, got a Castle BEC rated for up to 12 S. Took the old BEC out, replaced with the new one. Same damn thing, will bind with 6s but not 8. Tried programing the ESC with the transmitter (what a pain in the ass) but to no avail. Nigel at Pinnacle has programming cards for the ESC, so hopefully it just has to be programmed for 8s. Will try and fix it tomorrow.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: octagon on February 09, 2018, 07:10:10 PM
Ok finished  all ready to go....................almost. To get 120 or so watts per pound, I will have to fly it on 8s. So I put a couple of 4s in series into it and the ESC would not arm. I am using an Opto with as Castle BEC. Would arm with 6s no problem. Stumped I went over everything ,only to find my BEC was only rated for 6s. Today, got a Castle BEC rated for up to 12 S. Took the old BEC out, replaced with the new one. Same damn thing, will bind with 6s but not 8. Tried programing the ESC with the transmitter (what a pain in the ass) but to no avail. Nigel at Pinnacle has programming cards for the ESC, so hopefully it just has to be programmed for 8s. Will try and fix it tomorrow.

So, exactly how are you going to get it out of the living room?  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Rob,

Most guys with serious planes use a separate 2 cell lipo pack with a UBEC.  In my larger planes I use a simple 4 cell nicad pack to get 4.8 volts for all the electronics.  I have 4 cell (4.8 volts) AAA packs at 800 mah and 4 cell AA packs at 2200 mah that I use in my 4-6 cell planes.
It also separates the electronic power supply from the drive train power.  If the main battery goes, you can still glide it under full control.....to the scene of the crash! ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

octagon

Frank,
I thought of using a seperate battery pack the way we had to in days past. I am using a good quality opto ESC and a better quality BEC (Castle Pro 20 amp,) so my thinking is that the two of those should be about as reliable as my memory is to remember to charge the onboard battery to power the rx. Hopefully we will have soya beans this year so as allow easier access to the crash site.

electroflyer

Hey Rob,
  Which ESC are you using? Is it possible that it needs the channel reversed?

Andy Hoffer

Any thought to trying it on skis?!!  You can actually get skis that allow the use of retractable wheels like amphib floats.  See photo. 

There is still good snow at the field!!  8)

Andy