FRANK'S 1/2A F4U CORSAIR BUILD

Started by Frank v B, January 05, 2018, 09:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Thanks Oscar, Glenn, Rob D., Bruce and Piker for the comments.

Glenn, thanks for the "elevator" advice.  So it behaves like a Mustang.  I coach people to set the throws on a Mustang* as low as they dare.... then reduce it a further 30%.  A short-coupled airplane.  I will heed your advice the same way.

Also, I painted all control horns and LG plates blue.  Looks a lot better.  Worth the 5 minutes!

Regarding Glenn's question of whether the customer who gave it to me has seen it.  No he has not.  He and his wife are in Florida to the end of the month.  I did send him a "Finished" note and he replied.

On Monday, February 12, I wrote to him:

Norman,

The punishment project is finished.  :-)
You can see the whole post and a lot more photos on our TEMAC website http://temac.ca/smf/index.php?topic=6459.msg42340#msg42340

It has been a challenge but the finished product should fly fine.

Safe home

Frank

His reply that same evening:
"Great  job.I can hardly wait to see it fly!"

Frank

* I have built/owned 7 Mustangs.!
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 14, 2018, 05:53:19 PM

* I have built/owned 7 Mustangs.!

So it took 7 tries to get the throws right?!!   ;D

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Dear Charlie,

Now that @Frank v B is totally consumed with his Cheeky build, we can have a good discussion about your future, and doing everything we can to ensure it is a long and prosperous one.  You need to know that however well-intentioned he may be, the guy who will be sending the radio signals to your receiver is not quite as capable a pilot as you.  While you can look left, right or forward to maintain situational awareness of things like corn, trees, and the ground, @Frank v B's field of view is severely limited when he is flying.  He will be totally focused on you and your plane, so these other hazards may not come into his field of view until inertia precludes a safe outcome.  So, you really need to familiarize yourself with the canopy release, and the ejection seat if @Frank v B has been kind enough to furnish one for you.  Your life may (will likely) depend on them.  Here is a link to your POH which will make for some good, thought-provoking bedtime reading.  In particular see Section IV, p. 52.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwid5JT_tLDZAhVl4YMKHeXfB0cQFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jasonblair.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F06%2FPilots-Manual-for-F4U-Corsair-Aviation-Pubs-1977.pdf&usg=AOvVaw28CrRAkG0gxQ2RiHLffKGN

You may also want to talk to our CFI, @bweaver , for some other survival hints (like going AWOL before the maiden flight!).  Bruce is a great guy with a wealth of knowledge on such matters, and has an extensive background in fighter combat, albeit in aircraft which are a little less robust than yours, but fighters nonetheless.

Hope to see you for photos on maiden day, both before and after your flight.  Better you than me!!!  8)

Good luck! 

Sincerely,
Andy Hoffer

Frank v B

Dear Mr. Hoffer,

Thank you for the cautionary note and your interest in protecting my health..... from that Frank guy.

I talked to him tonight regarding the two safety issues you pointed out.

Frank has confirmed that there will be no canopy for the maiden flight so I don't have to worry about the quick release.  The canopy will probably fall off by itself before I break ground.  I know who built it!

I have insisted he add an ejection seat so he promised to build one tonight and install it tomorrow.  I will send you a photo tomorrow.

Life's a ***** when you draw short straw as a test pilot.

Mr. Hoffer.  May you have a good and safe year at Rogo Field.

Charlie
Test Pile-it

Frank v B

Mr Hoffer,

My plane is now equipped with a bright red ejection seat handle.  I am right handed so it is in easy reach.  It blows both the cockpit hold-down bolts and starts the ejection sequence.  Thank you in advance for saving my butt.

Charlie
RCAF kmag*

* kiss my a.. goodbye! :)

Andy Hoffer

Dear Charlie,

I am so glad that you have made such good progress with @Frank v B on the canopy/ejection seat  release.  I think he is genuinely striving for continual self improvement.  But you really need to push him a bit further on this:  there are supposed to TWO safety release handles (to prevent inadvertent release of the cabin), one on either side of the cabin structure, as shown on p. 52 of the POH (excerpt attached below).  @bweaver can provide pre-flight instruction on how to use these and what to expect if you have to part company with your aircraft.

Let me know how you make out on this.

Ever watching your back,

Andy Hoffer

Frank v B

Dear Mr. Hoffer,

Now I've got to talk to him again and ask him for a favour.  I'll approach him on the basis of it being family day today.
Gonna be tough.

Wish me luck.

Charlie

Frank v B

Dear Mr. Hoffer,

I talked to him.... and survived!  He made a good point.  If he installs double eject handles, what happens if I get shot in one arm and cannot simultaneously pull the levers?  I have opted for one handle, not to go against the good judgement and abilities of the designers at Voight, but I know who built this plane. ;D

He started thinking when I said I preferred the plane to eject from me and not me from the plane.  I am sure Mr. Newton will have something to say about breaking one of his rules but it will keep Frank busy going around in circles. ;)  Reminds me of the Pink Panther break-in scene (at 0:55 run time but worth watching the first 1:20 as a lead-in).

Forever grateful,

Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNUNwlex-VE

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 19, 2018, 10:20:22 AM
Dear Mr. Hoffer,

I talked to him.... and survived!  He made a good point.  If he installs double eject handles, what happens if I get shot in one arm and cannot simultaneously pull the levers?  I have opted for one handle, not to go against the good judgement and abilities of the designers at Voight, but I know who built this plane. ;D

He started thinking when I said I preferred the plane to eject from me and not me from the plane.  I am sure Mr. Newton will have something to say about breaking one of his rules but it will keep Frank busy going around in circles. ;)  Reminds me of the Pink Panther break-in scene (at 0:55 run time but worth watching the first 1:20 as a lead-in).

Forever grateful,

Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNUNwlex-VE

Thanks so much Charlie!  My sides will be aching for a week!!!

Andy