FRANK'S 1/2A F4U CORSAIR BUILD

Started by Frank v B, January 05, 2018, 09:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on February 08, 2018, 12:17:43 AM
Quote from: Frank v B on February 07, 2018, 10:10:22 PM
Andy,

The world will be fine as long as you stay away from self-replicating.  The world can only use... and stand... one of you. ;)

Frank

I couldn't agree more.  I would burn out if I had to do battle with myself.  And then who would there be to look after you?!!  8)

Andy

Why, Bruce of course!  Frank could never be neglected.   :P

Frank v B

Back to some serious building.

In the spirit of improved safety, this Corsair has a safety feature as of tonight.  Eyes on the tarmac.  Charlie the pilot now has a servo embedded in his shoulders and will look left and right for me while taxiing.

Safety is one of our main objectives. ;D

The seat still has to be modified so he sits a little lower in the cockpit.  Have to accommodate the servo that now sticks below.

Frank

photo 1 - eyes to port
photo 2 - eyes to starboard
photo 3 - eyes down the runway.
photo 4 - Charlie, post surgery
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Frank v B

Andy,

re:"Very nice touch!  Bravo!"

I'm waiiiiiiting.  There's got to be a "but" missing.  This sounds way too much like a compliment. 8)

Bruce,
There is something wrong with our friend Andy.  Should I take him to a doctor... or veterinarian? ;)

Frank

ps: this weekend I will be putting the finishing touches on it including "Andy's arrow" on the starboard wing.  Will post a photo.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 09, 2018, 05:45:34 PM
Andy,

re:"Very nice touch!  Bravo!"

I'm waiiiiiiting.  There's got to be a "but" missing.  This sounds way too much like a compliment. 8)

Bruce,
There is something wrong with our friend Andy.  Should I take him to a doctor... or veterinarian? ;)

Frank

ps: this weekend I will be putting the finishing touches on it including "Andy's arrow" on the starboard wing.  Will post a photo.

You just can't be nice to some people!!  8)

Andy

bweaver

@Andy Hoffer regarding your statement: You just can't be nice to some people!!  8)

Andy, who's side are you on? Be nice to the rest of us! Put your self in my place... Nothing like sitting down to enjoy my morning java and checking out the forum updates, when I come to your reply.  Expanding the @Frank v B s postage stamp size photograph image was a startling sight.  :o

At least now I know the sights today can only get better...

Edit: Just had to add that my brother in-laws comment while looking over my shoulder, when he saw the expanded image was, "what's that?" not "who is that?"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on February 10, 2018, 09:45:18 AM
@Andy Hoffer regarding your statement: You just can't be nice to some people!!  8)

Andy, who's side are you on? Be nice to the rest of us! Put your self in my place... Nothing like sitting down to enjoy my morning java and checking out the forum updates, when I come to your reply.  Expanding the @Frank v B s postage stamp size photograph image was a startling sight.  :o

At least now I know the sights today can only get better...

Edit: Just had to add that my brother in-laws comment while looking over my shoulder, when he saw the expanded image was, "what's that?" not "who is that?"

You are so right @bweaver!  I have truly been remiss.  I hope this shows that I am trying to be nice to you too.  I would never want you to feel neglected!!   8)

Respectfully yours,

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

Bruce's photo looks like the red Baron sans spiked helmet.  The picture is great. :D

I am so glad we love model airplanes and don't belong to an equestrian club or pigeon racing club.  Imagine what you would do to those club members.

Frank

bweaver

RE: You are so right @bweaver!  I have truly been remiss.  I hope this shows that I am trying to be nice to you too.  I would never want you to feel neglected!!   8)

Respectfully yours,

Andy

Thanks @Andy Hoffer , at least the picture selected of me was much nicer than the one you selected of @Frank v B.  I guess as a photographer you have to put up with what ever subject matter you are working with.  Come to think of it, that may not say much for the both of us.   :-[

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on February 10, 2018, 05:46:18 PM
RE: You are so right @bweaver!  I have truly been remiss.  I hope this shows that I am trying to be nice to you too.  I would never want you to feel neglected!!   8)

Respectfully yours,

Andy

Thanks @Andy Hoffer , at least the picture selected of me was much nicer than the one you selected of @Frank v BI guess as a photographer you have to put up with what ever subject matter you are working with.  Come to think of it, that may not say much for the both of us.   :-[

Well, you gotta love Photoshop.  It can mitigate a whole multitude of sins!!  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Update:

Nothing worth a picture or two but last night and this morning started the million item detail list.  Gnawing away at it:
- installed the servos permanently, installed the pushrods, pushrod braces and adjusted the lengths.
- installed the ESC, drilled cooling holes in the firewall and motor box.
- made the control horns for the ailerons (plywood and carbon veil, will show photos later)
- applied the USAF decals.... and Andy's Arrow.
- properly seated the battery hatch and installed the hold-down magnets.
- Adjusted Charlie's seat (cut a servo slot) so he sits at the proper hight in the cockpit.

At the last Pilot's Meeting both Michael and Cadez suggested the cowl be left as spun aluminum and not painted.  Will do!

Have to go put a coat of paint on my living room windows*, then I'll report back.

Frank

* my defence of "Sunday is supposed to be the day of rest" did not work.  Get back to work.  Yes Dear!! :(

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 11, 2018, 11:05:49 AM
Update:

Nothing worth a picture or two but last night and this morning started the million item detail list.  Gnawing away at it:
- installed the servos permanently, installed the pushrods, pushrod braces and adjusted the lengths.
- made the control horns for the ailerons (plywood and carbon veil, will show photos later)
- Adjusted Charlie's seat (cut a servo slot) so he sits at the proper hight in the cockpit.

At the last Pilot's Meeting both Michael and Cadez suggested the cowl be left as spun aluminum and not painted.  Will do!

Have to go put a coat of paint on my living room windows*, then I'll report back.

Frank

* my defence of "Sunday is supposed to be the day of rest" did not work.  Get back to work.  Yes Dear!! :(

@Frank v B,

I really think my Arrow deserves a photograph, if only to prove that you have it pointing in the right (i.e. correct - not to be confused with starboard) direction!!  I would not want my name to be associated with anyone else's "backward" tendencies - I prefer my own!!  8)

Respectfully (well, sort of) yours,
Andy

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 11, 2018, 11:05:49 AM
Update:

Frank

@Frank v B ,

His name is "Bruce", a.k.a @bweaver .  And he is definitely worth a picture!! You've got to start paying attention, and due homage, to our CFI.  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy, you fight it out with Bruce on the pilot's name. ;D

Update:
Photo 1- shows the plywood horns for the ailerons.  The plywood horn on top of Andy's Arrow (fly this way, stupid :D) is after the epoxy dried.  Cut two pieces out of 1/32" plywood and glued them together with a bit of carbon veil in between.  The one to the left of the arrow was sanded and ready to be use.

Photo 2- shows the aileron horn installation-  The servo tester was connected and set on "centre".  The aileron was taped in the neutral position and a slot was cut in the aileron.  The pushrod was made to the correct length and the horn was glued into the aileron.  It is now automatically centred.

Photo 3- shows the battery hatch.  Installed balsa crossbars in the fuselage and on the hatch.  Once dry, holes were drilled and the magnets installed.  Note the ESC in the fuselage beside the battery box.

Photo 4- shows the servo installation for the rudder and elevator.  Notice that the rudder servo had to be raised with two pieces of lite ply so the pushrod could clear the balsa cross piece for Charlie's seat.  Used plastic horns for these surfaces.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 11, 2018, 02:18:38 PM
Andy, you fight it out with Bruce on the pilot's name. ;D

Update:
Photo 1- shows the plywood horns for the ailerons.  The plywood horn on top of Andy's Arrow (fly this way, stupid :D) is after the epoxy dried.  Cut two pieces out of 1/16" plywood and glued them together with a bit of carbon veil in between.  The one to the left of the arrow was sanded and ready to be use.

Photo 2- shows the aileron horn installation-  The servo tester was connected and set on "centre".  The aileron was taped in the neutral position and a slot was cut in the aileron.  The pushrod was made to the correct length and the horn was glued into the aileron.  It is now automatically centred.

Photo 3- shows the battery hatch.  Installed balsa crossbars in the fuselage and on the hatch.  Once dry, holes were drilled and the magnets installed.  Note the ESC in the fuselage beside the battery box.

Photo 4- shows the servo installation for the rudder and elevator.  Used plastic horns for these surfaces.

Hey @Frank v B,

Neophyte Hoffer here:
1. Why do the aileron control horns need to be so beefy (2 x 1/16" 3-ply + veil = 1/8" 6-ply?  I would have thought 1/16" 3-ply would provide more than adequate strength.
2.  Will the ESC have enough cooling squeezed into that tiny space?

Attentively yours,

Andy