FRANK'S 1/2A F4U CORSAIR BUILD

Started by Frank v B, January 05, 2018, 09:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Michael, what did Rob say?  Did you really understand that?  ???

Now Frank says he is partly following instructions.  (A first) I noted they are pictorial in nature -  big help eh Frank @Frank v B ?

Michael

Yes, I understood.

Normally, wing sheeting is applied with the grain perpendicular to the curve of the surface.

Since that section of the wing likely also has a partial curve lengthwise, or even a compound curve, the designer probably felt it would better suit the construction of that part of the gull-wing to have that portion of sheeting in the unusual direction.

Michael

Frank v B

Have kept building but kept quiet....  How interesting can gluing another piece of sheeting be?

Done since the last post
- finished the sheeting of the wing
- installed the wing dowel
- installed the leading edge doublers and trailing edges .
- hinged the ailerons
- installed the wingtips
- made the stabilizer and elevator halves

Next major steps:
- make tail cone around the fin/stab
- sanding, filling and final sanding
- radio and motor installation
- landing gear.

Motor
Have pretty well decided on the Supertigre .10 3 cell electric motor Approx 275 watts.  The real reason- it can swing a 3 bladed prop and it is much lighter than an E-Flite 480..... and.... I happen to have one! :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

I wonder if Frank's head will swell up if I tell him how beautiful this build looks.  I think he should cover it in clear film (e.g. Saran wrap) to preserve the beauty of his fine woodworking craftsmanship!

Andy

bweaver

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on January 28, 2018, 05:54:42 PM
I wonder if Frank's head will swell up if I tell him how beautiful this build looks.  I think he should cover it in clear film (e.g. Saran wrap) to preserve the beauty of his fine woodworking craftsmanship!

Andy

@Andy Hoffer , @Frank v B
I preferred the painters tape...  Andy, what did Frank bribe you with to say such kind words? 

Re: "Have kept building but kept quiet....  How interesting can gluing another piece of sheeting be?"

I didn't think it was possible.  Obviously the activity keeps your interests.  :-*

Frank v B

Andy and Bruce,

You are waaayyyy too kind, complimentary, encouraging, friendly, praiseful, lauditory, fawning, respectful, cordial, thoughtful, amicable, nice, generous, kind-heated, benevolent, kindly, tender-hearted, cruel.

Shortly my E-GO will be an E-WENT. 8)

Frank

ps: Bruce, shouldn't you be leaving shortly to go and inspect the wall at the US/Mexican border??  Make sure there are smoke detectors in the tunnels under the wall. ;D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on January 28, 2018, 10:06:28 PM
Andy and Bruce,

You are waaayyyy too kind, complimentary, encouraging, friendly, praiseful, lauditory, fawning, respectful, cordial, thoughtful, amicable, nice, generous, kind-heated, benevolent, kindly, tender-hearted,[/s] cruel.

Shortly my E-GO will be an E-WENT. 8)

Frank

ps: Bruce, shouldn't you be leaving shortly to go and inspect the wall at the US/Mexican border??  Make sure there are smoke detectors in the tunnels under the wall. ;D

Look out boys.  Frank found his Thesaurus!! 8)

Andy

bweaver

@Frank v B , I don't plan on getting any closer to that border than being at least 30,000 feet above it.  It isn't like the wall of China where you can actually see it from above either, you know.  For that reason, I don't even care if I have a window seat.

@Andy Hoffer and I know that you had to push back your true feelings about us, before finally calling us 'cruel'.  Thanks Frank.  [You are waaayyyy too kind, complimentary, encouraging, friendly, praiseful, lauditory, fawning, respectful, cordial, thoughtful, amicable, nice, generous, kind-heated, benevolent, kindly, tender-hearted,[/s] cruel.] [/b]  :-*

PS - Frank, 'praiseful' isn't a word in my dictionary and lauditory is spelled with an 'a', not an 'i'.  (And I thought my dollar store thesaurus and dictionary wasn't that accurate.  Also when I use the FORUM, it also has a free spell check feature.)  ;D

Frank v B

Oh so now it has become an English lesson.  All I can say is:

"I dun care what you sink about my kommand of the Henglish language.  I am a foreigner and stepped off the bote a mere 55 years ago. Dare is only so much you can lurn reading the back of cereal bockses while going to a university. 

....And Andy, about the "thesaurus".  When did this become a palaeontology lesson?" ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on January 29, 2018, 10:05:21 PM
Oh so now it has become an English lesson.  All I can say is:

"I dun care what you sink about my kommand of the Henglish language.  I am a foreigner and stepped off the bote a mere 55 years ago. Dare is only so much you can lurn reading the back of cereal bockses while going to a university. 

....And Andy, about the "thesaurus".  When did this become a palaeontology paleontology lesson?" ;D

Frank

As long as there are old fossils around, there will be paleontology (if not proper spelling)!!!   8)

Andy

Frank v B

OK Ynda   ;D 

Darn, spell-check did not work.

Frank

Frank v B

Now back to the build....

- sanded the leading edge and wingtips.  Note the pen marks indicating the high point of the leading edge and wingtip balsa.
- installed the hardpoints to hold the cowl in place.  3 screws do the trick.
- installed the SuperTigre .10 out runner.  It has a 30 amp ESC.  Found a cool 3-bladed Zinger of approximately the correct diameter (8x6)
- did the bottom of the wing round contour in the mid-section, including the leading edge dowels.  Note the ink marks showing where the landing gear blocks are hidden under the sheeting.

electroflyer

Sitting here absorbing and learning so intently. I did not realize the Thesaurus was still around, I thought they were wiped out during the "Cretaceous Period"!! ;D

Sweet build Frank! Any thought to the colour scheme?

Glenn

Frank v B

Glenn,

Poor Mr. Roget and his ancient book.

I had to laugh today reading the Star.  An article by Dave Feschuk had a spelling mistake in it (underlined).  What is a "FOWRAD"?  I guess it is better to be a "Fowrad" than on "The Fence". :)

As far as colours are concerned, I am partial to the dark blue/light blue one of the Pacific Theatre.  At some point I will leaf through my airplane books.... after I take stock of the covering colours I have in inventory.

Frank

Frank v B

Making the tail fillets.  The little filler pieces between the fin and the stab in line with the curvature of the fuselage:

1) Made a "T" section using wood the same thickness of the fin and the stab.  Let it dry completely
2) Cut the "T" section to the correct length of the opening and glue in place with 4 small dabs of 5 minute epoxy.  Once sanded, these pieces have to be cut apart.
3) Add the rough fillets.  Each one was attached with three small dabs of 5 minute epoxy.

Once the epoxy dries, everything is sanded to shape and then cut apart with an X-Acto #11 blade.  What is left are 2 perfectly fitting fillets.  Make sure you mark "left" and "right"... or "port" and "starboard" if you are Andy. :)

Frank