FRANK'S 1/2A F4U CORSAIR BUILD

Started by Frank v B, January 05, 2018, 09:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Andy,

great questions:

The horns- went back and looked and I was mistaken (not the first time in my life!).  They were made from a double 1/32" plywood because I did not have 1/16.  The carbon was in the middle... because I had it.  Your conclusion:"I would have thought 1/16" 3-ply would provide more than adequate strength." is absolutely correct.  The correction to "1/32" has been made to the previous post.

The cooling- I had the same concern but the cowl is a huge air funnel and the interior structure is open.  Will maiden it without the canopy because it is a huge cooling exhaust under Charlie's butt (read as "heated seating").  If it runs cool, it will be left this way, if it runs hot, I will cut exhausts in the bottom of the fuselage behind the wing.
Until the model is weighed and everything is plugged into a watt meter, I have no idea how many amps it draws on the 30 amp ESC.  If it draws 20 amps, it will be cool, if it draws 30 amps then..."Houston, we have a problem".  Math class comes later (watts/lb).

On both questions: Operating principles: "Don't make a decision until you have to" and "belt and suspenders".  Remember who will be flying this contraption. ;D ;)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Finished!!!!

Just finished installing everything, programming the TX (throws, reverse, dual rates), installing the receiver and binding it, hooking up the servos, connecting Charlie.

Math Class:  Now Students, sit down please. 

Total weight 33.2 oz (2.08 lbs)
Total watts Zinger 8x6  3 blade        180 watts
Total watts Graupner 9x7   3 blade   260 watts
Total max continuous of the motor   320 watts
Total max burst                              370 watts

Calculations:
Battery 3S 2200 25C Venom Power, motor Supertigre .10 out runner

Zinger 8x6 3 blade           86 watts/lb
Graupner 9x7 3 blade     125 watts/lb
Max continuous              153 watts/lb
Max burst                      178 watts/lb

Better than I thought.  Will maiden it with the Graupner 3 blade.  It will draw 23 amps max on the 30 amp ESC.  It should not get too hot since most flying is done at 70-80% throttle.

MaidenFest here we come.

The result is better than I thought.  A tough but rewarding project.

Will assemble it tomorrow, pretty it up and will post a "finished" photo.

Thanks for bearing with this post. :P

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 11, 2018, 09:07:54 PM
Finished!!!!

Just finished installing everything, programming the TX (throws, reverse, dual rates), installing the receiver and binding it, hooking up the servos, connecting Charlie.

Math Class:  Now Students, sit down please. 

Total weight 33.2 oz (2.08 lbs)
Total watts Zinger 8x6  3 blade        180 watts
Total watts Graupner 9x7   3 blade   260 watts
Total max continuous of the motor   320 watts
Total max burst                              370 watts

Calculations:
Battery 3S 2200 25C Venom Power, motor Supertigre .10 out runner

Zinger 8x6 3 blade           86 watts/lb
Graupner 9x7 3 blade     125 watts/lb
Max continuous              153 watts/lb
Max burst                      178 watts/lb

Better than I thought.  Will maiden it with the Graupner 3 blade.  It will draw 23 amps max on the 30 amp ESC.  It should not get too hot since most flying is done at 70-80% throttle.

MaidenFest here we come.

The result is better than I thought.  A tough but rewarding project.

Will assemble it tomorrow, pretty it up and will post a "finished" photo.

Thanks for bearing with this post. :P

Frank

Way to go, @Frank v B !!

Could you explain exactly what happens at "Max Burst"??!!!!  I seem to recall hearing about the consequences of someone's appendix bursting, and it was rather unpleasant!  I would hate to see Pilot Charlie become the victim of control inputs over which he has no control!!

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

"Burst" is defined as max power it can take for 15-20 seconds.... or it will do just that! :D 
As Mike H. would say..."the white smoke of surrender". 
The "bends" of the air, crossing the "line" in sand, the "don't go there" of model aviation, the beyond Max!, The police's "Do not cross", A skydiver's "beyond terminal velocity" or Ededge's fork in the duplex outlet.  A shocking experience ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Oh, I get it: another agricultural planting in the corn!!

Thanks @Frank v B ! :D

Frank v B

Andy,

re: "Planting"

We all have our specialties.  We don't build airplanes.  We farm them. :)

Frank

Frank v B

The photos of the finished plane.  Ready for the first flight.  Only the canopy was pinned in place.  It will not be used during the maiden for cooling reasons.  Charlie is sitting in the pilot's seat.  Andy's arrow is clearly visible on the starboard wing "fly this way, stupid"
Looking at the photos, I will paint the rudder and elevator control horns blue.  The white plastic sticks out like a sore thumb.

Thanks for participating in the build by your visits to this post.

Next up- covering the Chica.  See the post at http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6445.0.html.

Frank

electroflyer

Bravo!!
  That is a really beautiful build!
  One suggestion, keep your elevator throw to a minimum.
  Look forward to seeing the maiden of this little gem. Have you shown the original owner of the kit yet?

Glenn

octagon

Nice build Frank. I have been following your posts in silence. Seemed like a lot of work, but the end result was worth it. Looking forward to seeing it fly!
What could possibly go wrong?

bweaver

I must confess... it does look very nice and I am also looking forward to see it fly.  I have enjoyed the build. 

Keep smiling @Frank v B;D

piker

Nice work, Frank!  A very cool looking plane!

Good luck with the test flight!

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 12, 2018, 08:47:10 PM
The photos of the finished plane.  Ready for the first flight.  Only the canopy was pinned in place.  It will not be used during the maiden for cooling reasons.  Charlie is sitting in the pilot's seat. Andy's arrow is clearly visible on the starboard wing "fly this way, stupid"
Looking at the photos, I will paint the rudder and elevator control horns blue.  The white plastic sticks out like a sore thumb.

Next up- covering the Chica.  See the post at http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6445.0.html.

Frank

Charlie needs to pay attention to where the camera is!!  In most of these photos he appears to be turning the other cheek, and he also appears to be an unwilling subject who needs to show a little bit of the respect due his masterful creator!!  I will have to have a chat with him when I see him.  He will not get away with this behaviour when I photograph him! 
He is detracting from an otherwise gorgeous aircraft!   >:(

Andy

Frank v B

Dear Temac members:

re:  Andy's "I will have to have a chat with him when I see him.  He will not get away with this behaviour when I photograph him!"

Our club mate Andy now wants to talk to dolls in model airplanes and affect and influence their behaviour.  Please read about it in his upcoming book "The Taming of the Crew". ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 12, 2018, 08:47:10 PM
The photos of the finished plane.  Ready for the first flight.  Only the canopy was pinned in place.  It will not be used during the maiden for cooling reasons.  Charlie is sitting in the pilot's seat.  Andy's arrow is clearly visible on the starboard wing "fly this way, stupid"

Frank

If your landing attitude is similar to that displayed in the last photo, no one will even notice the white plastic control horn back plates!!  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

re: "If your landing attitude is similar to that displayed in the last photo"

That photo is so all members will know what the bottom of the plane looks like so they can help me recover the plane from the farmer's field... after one of my typical landings. :)

Frank