Brian Taylor Mosquito

Started by electroflyer, January 07, 2018, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electroflyer

Hey Guys,

Here is my latest project. I unfortunately passed on an Aerotech Mosquito at the London swap met and have been kicking myself for not making the purchase. I ultimately decided that I would construct a Mosquito using a short kit from Sarik models in the UK. It was a little pricey but came with laser cut formers and ribs,canopy, fiberglass nacelles and aluminum spinners. The work is progressing well and I think that I will actually more satisfied with this rendition of the Mosquito as a result of it being a more scale rendition and hand built as opposed to balsa covered foam. I am sending pictures of the right wing but the entire wing is now constructed and top sheeted. The horizontal stabilizer and elevators are also built.

sihinch

Wow! Wow! Wow!

There will be some amazing models at TEMAC this year!   :D

Go Glenn.

Frank v B

Glenn,

My favourite airplane.  Love it. 
Any techie details like wingspan, weight, motors, volts, flaps, retracts, ejection seat. ;)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

electroflyer

Thanks Guys,

It will be a great flying season. Lots of great planes coming!
  Techie details, The model is 71" wingspan and I am trying a couple of 600 Kv motors from Turnigy. L5055's. Looks pretty solid. I am looking at two 4 or 5s batteries running separately. Depends on space. I am also hoping to swing two big 3 bladed props to really give it some thrust and scale presence.
  Here are some more snaps.

bweaver

Looking great Glenn. 

I can see by your photos that I am not the only hobbiest who uses interlocking bricks as building aids and weights. 

I am really interested in following the project as it progresses.

the giant

Andy Hoffer

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/dh98-mosquito-pr-xvi-81/

This looks like a superb kit Glenn.  You have good taste!

Enjoy the build.  Looking forward to the maiden photo op.

Andy

electroflyer

Hey Andy

My version is actually a bit smaller. I thought for storage and transportation might make this a bit more suitable.
  https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/dh98-mosquito-fb-vi-71/

I have made good headway into the tail assemblies with both the horizontal and vertical fin and moving surfaces glued together and waiting for the shaping phase.
I am hoping to start the fuselage this week as then the location of radio equipment and batteries can lead to appropriate hatch location(s)

Thanks Andre', By the way look forward to getting both Hurricanes up for a flight together, The build looks great!

Thanks Bruce,
    Yeah those interlocks are very handy, if things start going wrong in the build, it may have a different purpose!  lol

electroflyer

Up next is the Fuselage. It has been fairly straight forward, but discovered some of the parts were not included in the short kit. No big deal as they are relatively small, But I wasted a lot of time just looking for parts not sent. Confirmation of this when I read a build log from RC Canada which mentioned the same thing.

Andy Hoffer

Just looking at the lower left corner of the photo in your last post.  How do you solder wood without it getting burnt?!!  ;D

Andy

electroflyer

LOL, Trust you Andy to spot the one thing that truly does not belong in that picture!

Andy Hoffer

I'm always eager to learn new tricks from the masters!  8)

Andy

electroflyer

Well, making some progress here, the right half fuselage shell is more or less complete. I decided to plank the fuselage as I have never had good luck wrapping balsa around a structure in large sheets. I am currently thinking ahead to servo and motor installations and will ensure that the scale radiator sections are put to good use with each serving to hold and allow good (to great) cooling of the ESC's.
  Here are another couple of photographs.

Glenn

Michael

Nice.

Where will the battery (batteries) go?
Michael

electroflyer

Michael,

The batteries will be placed in the nose. The current formers will be trimmed to accept a battery box with a lift off hatch. I just will refrain from any cutting until the second half is ready to join as I do not want any potential de formation of the fuselage to complicate the build.