Brian Taylor Mosquito

Started by electroflyer, January 07, 2018, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Quote from: electroflyer on January 19, 2018, 08:42:51 AM
  Michael,

The batteries will be placed in the nose. The current formers will be trimmed to accept a battery box with a lift off hatch. I just will refrain from any cutting until the second half is ready to join as I do not want any potential de formation of the fuselage to complicate the build.

That makes sense.
Michael

electroflyer

It has been a while, but here is the progress so far. I have been slowed down by my Vampire assembly, but back on track. Still checking the best method of installation for the servos and controls.

Glenn

Michael

Michael

Andy Hoffer

I will definitely have a full photographic agenda this spring!!   Looks sensational Glenn.  Looking forward to the maiden flight.

Andy

bweaver

It is looking great Glenn.  Looking forward to it's continuing progress....

piker

Awesome!  Builds just like a Formosa!

sihinch

Looks magic Glenn. It reminds me of the ParkZone version!!!!!

electroflyer

Thanks guys,
  It is a fun build. This weekend I am planning on sorting out the wing. Once the controls and servos are complete I will be able to complete the sheeting and sand to shape. I am considering options for covering and have not ruled out going old school with coloured dope and covering material (tissue, silk or silkspan). The landing gear at the moment presents the biggest challenge. Plans have been included for scale mechanical units or my second option is modifying electric gear units and providing the non-load bearing mechanics to simulate the diagonal strut supports. If nothing else, it sure keeps the brain active. ;D

piker

When I built MY Formosa I just left it pure foam, but I did sand off the dimples  ;D

Yes Glenn... it's good to keep the brain active as we get older   :P

electroflyer

Funny you mention the Formosa, wouldn't they make great race planes!!? :o

The fuselage on this Mosquito really mirrors quite closely the production style of the full size. It really is quite neat to see the similarities and how it all gets joined together ....like a Formosa. lol

electroflyer

Last Saturday I started cobbling together parts lying around in different boxes and came up with these. I will add other structures to make the retracts more scale like, but using this method does provide the physical up and down locks which are very important to avoid damaging ordinary servos or G forces pulling the gear down and over stressing the BEC potentially causing receiver failure. I can now start the mounting process in the nacelles.

pmackenzie

electroflyer

Thanks Pat,

It is fun tinkering.

Here are the latest photos. I have built channels in the fuselage to pull wires, set up elevator, rudder and tail wheel (retractable). The fuselage halves have been mated together and then I can work towards getting the bolt on wing figured out.
  Also here is the Durafly Bf 109e Desert Scheme.

Glenn

Andy Hoffer

Wow! Your build looks amazing.  But your workbench (image #95803) - positively organic!

And that cool desert scheme on the BF109 bears an incredible likeness to a whale shark!! Great camo, wet or dry.

Way to go!!!  Looking forward to the maidens!

Andy

electroflyer

Hey Andy,

Like the Whale Shark camo, always thought they looked cool.
  As for my work bench at the moment, only one word need apply....Tragic!  lol