Brian Taylor Mosquito

Started by electroflyer, January 07, 2018, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electroflyer

Hey Guys,

A lot has been completed since the last time I posted. I was able to spend last weekend to great use. The weather was perfect for building (and nothing else!). I built a belly pan which covers the wing attachment area. I glassed my flaps and installed into the wing. This was essential step as the Nacelles needed to be built after the fact. That brings us to the current status. the Nacelles are now sheeted and in the process of having balsa block shaped. Speaking of that, most of my balsa blocks were slightly wrong in one dimension or another. The great thing about wood is the ability to laminate blocks together to get the basic shape required to fit the situation. This was essential for my Lysanders wheel pants and just as important for the nose and tapered fairings of the nacelles on the Mosquito. Here are some photos showing the current progress.

electroflyer

A few more...

bweaver

Fantastic!  I love your suggestion about -"Speaking of that, most of my balsa blocks were slightly wrong in one dimension or another. The great thing about wood is the ability to laminate blocks together to get the basic shape required to fit the situation." When it comes to my builds, I have to do that all the time.  You can carry the same concept over to blue foam as well. ('Why be so precise as to do everything right the first time?' You can quote the Sloth on that one.)

A great build Glenn. Fantastic progress.  I love following your build posts.

BJROB

Glen wow man that looks so good
Thanks for posting. I'm going to have to try your suggestion on building.
for me mostly repairing
good job
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Wingnutz

Following your builds is a fascinating way to learn...thanks.
I kept looking for how you planned to remove the wing so you could fit the Mossie in the variety of interesting rides you bring to the field, but I finally figured out wing removal isn't likely to happen, ergo the 71" ws choice. Even so, is this thing going to fit in the PT or have you gone to the dark side of vehicle choice and bought an SUV or even worse...a m... mi... min... mini van? :o
Returning to modelling I was intrigued with how the wing was fastened to the fuselage "spine"and then the bottom of the fuselage tube built under the wing to give the fuse its structural strength. If I got that right, I'm guessing it's the same way the full size went together?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

electroflyer

Thanks Guys!

After work today, I plan on shaping the fairings from those hideous blocks of balsa. I actually started yesterday and it was looking pretty good.

Bill, The wing is removable! Four bolts hold this in place. It is remarkably close to the Full size Mosquito in so many ways. Even the nose hatch on the drawings is identical. I had to alter mine slightly in as much as my nose cone splits in half. This is because of two 4S 5000mah batteries requiring some work to fit in the nose. Had the balsa nose cone been one piece, my batteries would not go in without applying heavy force to the fuselage.

As for mini vans.........NOOOOoooooooooo!  lol

Ordered props, glass and epoxy today... getting closer

sihinch

Nothing wrong with mini vans! Awesome plane haulers!

electroflyer

Well then, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing yours Simon.LOL

Wingnutz

Quote from: electroflyer on April 20, 2018, 01:11:07 PM
   Thanks Guys!

After work today, I plan on shaping the fairings from those hideous blocks of balsa. I actually started yesterday and it was looking pretty good.

Bill, The wing is removable! Four bolts hold this in place. It is remarkably close to the Full size Mosquito in so many ways. Even the nose hatch on the drawings is identical. I had to alter mine slightly in as much as my nose cone splits in half. This is because of two 4S 5000mah batteries requiring some work to fit in the nose. Had the balsa nose cone been one piece, my batteries would not go in without applying heavy force to the fuselage.

As for mini vans.........NOOOOoooooooooo!  lol

Ordered props, glass and epoxy today... getting closer

Model question first..."Is there a detachable structural member connecting front and rear of the fuse, spanning the wing opening gap beneath the wing?" While I'm no structural engineer, seems to me the fuse would be much stronger if it was a "tube" with a wing slot rather than a flat span over the top of the wing and no structural connection beneath (I told you I'm no engineer!)

Glenn,
Phew! I'm glad you haven't gone to a hum drum mini van!
I too await the day when Simon will join the "Hockey Mom" set, driving a mini van  :D
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

electroflyer

Well, I am almost at the finishing stage. Most of the wooden components are complete with mild sanding and filling required to smooth out the final product. I will probably epoxy and glass the Horizontal stabilizer and elevator first though. The reason for this is that it looks like it needs to be installed as a functioning unit before building the tail cone around it. Still working the logistics of this.
  Anyway, here we go, the Model is now beginning to look like a Mosquito!

bweaver

FANTASTIC build as always!!!!!!

octagon

Great job Man, looks awesome.
What could possibly go wrong?

sihinch

It's not bad. Still like the ParkZone version!   ;D

electroflyer

Thanks Guys,(and Simon)

I like the Parkzone one as well, but it only came in the little girlie size.
No wonder Simon likes it! lol

electroflyer

I must apologise for my lack of posting on the Mosquito progress, but have been very busy with different things including getting to the field to actually Fly.

My time has been well spent though, the aircraft has been fully glassed and is now ready for a some epoxy in areas that seem a bit thin. The aircraft will then be sanded down with a light duty sand paper to smooth out and de burr any fibres that are either unsightly or causing friction at the flying surfaces. It will then be primed and sanded to reveal the low spots and then filled, sanded and primed again. Finally the plane will get a coat of colour and some camo and that is where the details end until a flight is done to prove that everything is ok.

Here are a few snap shots.