Brian Taylor Mosquito

Started by electroflyer, January 07, 2018, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Michael

Andy Hoffer

Another magnificent Nikolaiko museum piece!

Andy

electroflyer

Hey Guys,

Here is the finishing stage of the Mosquito build. It is pretty much complete as I did go a little bit further than normal prior to a test flight. Although I have had some set backs especially regarding the flap horn not holding on the wire, I believe that problem is now fixed. The positive to this is that I am able to cut into the nacelle and address the problem pretty rapidly and still have the nacelle cleanup pretty easy. Awe, the beauty of working with balsa wood!

bweaver

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see it doing some low fly-bys.

octagon

Fantastic job man. Good work.
What could possibly go wrong?

sihinch

Magic, Glenn!

When's the test flight - would love to be there!

electroflyer

Thanks Guys,
   I am just debating whether to add a separate bec. That will be a quick job and then, wait for a cooler day with a good north or south (more or less ) wind.

Wingnutz

Looks great!...especially the spinners...three blade and blunt like a real Mossie! Geoffery would approve. Looking forward to seeing it majestically patrolling the skies over Rogo...as long as it doesn't get lost...there's no navigator!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

the giant

Good job Glenn.  It makes me wish i had done mine.  Maybe i should bring the Hurricane down. 

electroflyer

Thanks Bill,
    I think the navigator will be more essential for the long distance mission. This is only the test flight, plus....I still need to find one!

I have to say that I am always blown away by the power of the DX18 radio. The two identical esc's were not syncing up when applying throttle which of course was leading to a major pull to the left, but this radio has a balance feature which allowed for that nasty condition to be tuned right out. Now when the throttle is applied, the aircraft moves nice and even.

Andre,

Would love to see that Hurricane up close, I think it would great if you did bring the Hurricane down.
  Your Mosquito would make a great winter build this year!

Michael

Successful maiden flight! Glenn will elaborate.

These are the best photos I could get with my iphone.

Michael

bweaver

Looks fantastic.  Congratulations Glenn.  Another fine job.  I am looking forward to seeing it fly too!

electroflyer

Thanks for the photos Michael!

As with every new build, you never quite know what to expect. Well I am pleased to report that the Mosquito was well behaved and predictable in flight. I pre trimmed the rudder before flight, but I do not recall actually touching any trims though out the flight or landing. There are a few issues though and with a bit of work should be a large improvement. The tail gear requires a redesign and the main gear will get tapped and threaded to bolt and secure struts to the horizontal bar. I will post more photos as the work progresses. Other than that, I think that it will be fun to start the final phase of painting and detailing.

Now it is time to celebrate with an ice cold beer!!!

Polecat

Looks great Glenn, hope you can bring it up to Orangeville to fly after pylon racing.

Ken

battlestu

nice... looks like you got her ready just in time for the warbird event (07/22) :)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"