Rob's Airsail Chipmunk Build

Started by octagon, January 15, 2018, 08:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

Well, after sitting on the fence about this kit, that I picked up at the London swap meet, I have decided to go ahead with it. I got out the plans and started with the wing centre section. The wood appears good and everything so far seems to fit. I was able to get the Canadian canopy and wing tips from a guy in England where Airsail has moved I understand. Still more to do on the centre section, but this is a start.
What could possibly go wrong?

octagon

Got a bit more time to work on the Chippy wing. One of the reasons I sat on the fence building this kit is that most of the reviews talk about how poor the instructions are. I would say those guys are optimists. They are worse than poor but in fact misleading and useless. Also, none of the die cut pieces are marked as to what they are, but instead there is a sheet with some of the die cut sheets telling you what some of the parts are. So I have decided to just build it as if there were no instructions and use my experience to guide me. The plans are good although, then again minimal and there is a shortage of wood to contend with, so this will be quite a building experience. I finished the centre section and the basic construction of right wing, but they did not include enough spruce spars to do the left wing so it is off to the hobby shop to get some 1/4 X 1,8th wood so I can finish both wings! Saying all that, if this thing ever does fly, I will feel only a step away from a scratch build!

bweaver

That's the spirit!  One step at a time Rob.  If I know you these matters won't slow you down.  As a matter of fact I am sure that it won't be long before you have this project finished and flying.  Your confidence, speed, and quality of your builds always impress me.  :)

octagon

Thanks for the kind words Bruce. I will call you from the therapy ward!

piker

So you were just teasing me with the offer of this kit the other night?   :P

I'm glad you've decided to tackle it.  It'll be a wonderful build and a sight to behold when flying.

electroflyer

Hey Rob,

So you also bought a short kit...lol 
  It will be great when finished!
  What power system?

octagon

I have an extra Eflite Power 60 which should be more than enough for  this bird. I should come out weighting about 7 pounds I think. I could use something smaller probably, but I have a 60 with only 3 1/2 flights  and a bit of mud on it. Probably about 80 A ESC should do it flying on 5s 5000 I think. 

octagon

wing is coming well. I have decided to use aileron and flap servos, 1 for each surface, 4 total. The plans call for 2 central servos and bellcranks and linkages, but servos have gotten more powerful and smaller in the 25 years since this kit was designed, so I think I should be ok. Next step is the landing gear braces and then the sheeting begins. Figures, the sheets are 3 inches and I need 4 inches at the root so a bit but joining of 1/16 balsa will be necessary.   

Frank v B

Rob,

re:"....but servos have gotten more powerful and smaller in the 25 years since this kit was designed, so I think I should be ok."

You forgot....they are much cheaper now.  When I got back into the hobby in 1989 a standard Futaba Servo (S148) was $28.00 plus tax... the same ones we are lucky to get $2.00 per servo for at swap meets. :)

Keep building buddy.  Looking good!

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"