Win A Warwing Quiz

Started by bweaver, January 19, 2018, 01:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Hello fellow TEMAC members.

I am offering a free Warwing Kit to a member of the club who can successfully guess/answer a question I will pose in this 'topic' tomorrow at approximately 11 a.m.

Up to 50 TEMAC members will have an opportunity to win the Kit.  However, there are some rules.  These include:

Our illustrious leader Simon can't enter this contest.  (He won the last quiz I posted the other day.)

Before you can participate, understand your answer/guess will have to be posted tomorrow (Saturday) in this 'topic', after I initiate the quiz by first posting the contest question. This means that if you are only a 'guest' on this TEMAC Forum and not a 'member', you will not be able to enter your answer/guess.  So register as a 'member' of the Forum before the contest begins.

The only other requirements that are imposed include:
(1) you have to be a TEMAC member, and
(2) if you win, you have to pick up your kit Wednesday night at the build session, or arrange with me for picking up the kit at another club meeting or at a mutually agreeable time at Rogo Field, or other location.
(3) Each member will only be permitted to submit one guess/answer to the question being posed.

NOTE TO THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY ORDERED A WARWING KIT, YOU TO CAN ENTER THIS CONTEST.
If you are the successful contestant tomorrow, your Warwing Kit that you previously ordered will become free.  That means, some else will still have an opportunity to win the Warwing Kit being offered now.

Tell your TEMAC friends about the contest, then come back to this 'topic' tomorrow at around 11 a.m. or shortly thereafter to enter.

Crazyflyer

42 is the answer!!

okay, okay I will check in again tomorrow to make sure the question is correct ::)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on January 19, 2018, 01:55:46 PM
Hello fellow TEMAC members....

The only other requirements that are imposed include:
(1) you have to be a TEMAC member

Hey @bweaver

Do they have to be paid up for 2018 to count as TEMAC members, or are 2017 members eligible too?!!   8)

Andy Hoffer
Secretary-Treasurer, and Membership Director, TEMAC

bweaver

Here is how we will play. 

I have a personal favorite number that is less than 51.  It is not zero, or a negative number.  Can you guess what number it is?  (Is 0 a number?)

Post your entry number by replying to this post.  ONLY ONE ENTRY PER PERSON IS PERMITTED.  There can only be 50 entries, so enter now.

View other entries made before yours to make sure you don't duplicate the other entries. 

The winning person and their selected entry number will be revealed/posted is this 'topic' Monday evening after 8 p.m.

IMPORTANT NOTES:  Should my favorite number not be selected by Monday evening, the closest entry number to it  (above or below it) will be used to determine the winner.  In the event this occurs and there is a tie, (theoretically there could be), then two winners will be revealed, each winning a Warwing kit one way or another.

In order to ensure that this quiz is transparent (not fixed), I have sent the secret number to our leader Simon because he has already won one. He won't tell anyone what it is.  Will you Simon!!!

Good luck to all entrants.

Crazyflyer

42 it is!! the answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything!
Stephan

BJROB

I'm thinking its :P are you ready ???...... " 19 "..... :o
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

sihinch

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

octagon

No, no, pretty sure it has to be 21
What could possibly go wrong?

Athol

I think it's 69 - even though you said it's no over 50 - nor am i :-)

Andy Hoffer

Bruce likes good food.  I know this having watched him enjoying several meals at Swiss Chalet and Colonel Mustard's.  The only thing that is missing at these establishments is good home-made pie.  Pies are round, with a circumference equal to Pi (what else?) times its diameter.  The arc traced by one revolution of the tip of a prop is also Pi times its diameter.  So clearly, Pi makes the world go around.  And Bruce is an all around nice guy, so clearly his favourite number just has to be Pi.  (If it isn't, he should reconsider, and make it so.)

So without any further adieu, Pi it is.  Bruce did not specify whether his favourite number is an integer, a rational number, or an irrational number.  Given the people he hangs out with at TEMAC, I would put my money on an irrational number, such as Pi.  Bruce also did not specify any particular number of decimal places, so I will opt for something approaching the precision with which he builds his Warwings! 

3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286...............................

And that is my guess!   8)

Andy

Frank v B

Bruce,

Look what you have done now.  You set all the mathematicians in the club loose on a wild goose chase..... keep them going!
I am glad Andy stopped at his dissertation on PI.  Hopefully he will skip the lecture on SINE, COS and TANGENTS. 8)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Andy re: 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286...............................
I will take that as a 3.

Athol, Frank, reread the instructions.  The posts you have provided fail to meet the entry requirements.  Please try again.  I know I didn't provide any pictures with it to help you out, but talk to Andy, I think he somewhat understood how to do it.

octagon

Hey Bruce when does the suspense end for the other guys and you tell them that 21 is the magic number. It must be 21, we both grew up in Willowdale.
What could possibly go wrong?

Palkina

Hi Bruce, it must be 29.

Rounded from 29.05 AU. The approximate distance between Earth's and Neptune's orbits.