February Meeting - 3D Printed models

Started by battlestu, January 30, 2018, 10:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlestu

A while back Gil posted the below guide on 3D printing:

http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6271.0.html

At this months meeting, he'll be there to take your questions, show how it's done, have some show and tell and (as always have some fun.)
So if you ever had some questions or just want to see 3D printing in action come on out for February's meeting.

As always the meeting is at Colonel Mustard's (6545 Hwy 7, Markham)
https://goo.gl/maps/PVdxwrYHP772

Greg

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Andy Hoffer

Hey Greg,

Maybe Gil can print a designer cast for you!!   8)

Andy

Gil.E

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on January 30, 2018, 10:23:11 PM

Maybe Gil can print a designer cast for you!!   8)

It's certainly doable. The real question is, who's going to hold Greg down while I attempt to take exact caliper measurements of the broken leg ?
"I'm just saying that hobbies are important to the man, whether you're risking your life or flying little planes from a safe distance" - Gloria Pritchett (Sofia Vergara), Modern Family Season 1, Episode 3.

battlestu

well, a designer 3D printed cast does sound appealing ... I'll let Gil just print 3D parts for RC planes/models :)

Also, ask mike not wants to see whats under the cast. I'll be sporting some nifty scars this summer

Michael

That was an amazing presentation!

Gil gave a comprehensive talk, from the history, development, and capabilities of 3D printing, to the practical issues of cost, learning, and using the machines, to the pragmatic applications of building model airplanes and parts.

The models he had on display were impressive, especially that big P38.

That was a great meeting, truly focusing on leading edge technology being used in our hobby. I'm really looking forward to seeing those models in the sky!

Michael

Frank v B

Gil,

Thank you for your presentation.  I will heed your advice.... stay away!  I still use a flip cell phone and 72 meg. so there is very little risk in me investing money and time in this technology.  We will let you lead the way.  We all have our specialties. :)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 07, 2018, 10:42:08 PM
Gil,

Thank you for your presentation.  I will heed your advice.... stay away!  I still use a flip cell phone and 72 meg. so there is very little risk in me investing money and time in this technology.  We will let you lead the way.  We all have our specialties. :)

Frank

Indeed!  I specialize in Frankenstein! http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6459.msg42250.html#msg42250  8)

Andy

battlestu

Just a few shots of the models Gil made... can't wait to see them flying :)

bweaver

I'm sorry I missed the presentation.  The planes in photos look great.  I look forward to seeing them fly.  How heavy is the P38? It looks transparent.

Gil.E

Thank you all for the kind words and for inviting me to give this overview.
It was my pleasure to share my pain.

In case there are more questions, here are my cue card slides from last night's talk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3o6u74i6l1n4ix/3D%20Printed%20RC%20Models%20-%20notes%20and%20links.pdf?dl=0

The file is too large (8MB) to be attached directly to a forum post.
Hopefully you can open this dropbox-shared PDF file and follow or google various links of interest.

"I'm just saying that hobbies are important to the man, whether you're risking your life or flying little planes from a safe distance" - Gloria Pritchett (Sofia Vergara), Modern Family Season 1, Episode 3.

sihinch

Gil,

I'd like to formally thank you again for the outstanding presentation. The content was fascinating and your style, using humor, was spot on. It was up there with the best presentations I've ever seen at a Pilots meeting. Outstanding!

Thank you so much.
Simon

P.s. I'm not going to be a maker!

Palkina

Thank you Gil for very entertaining and informative presentation.

Some shots from the action will follow.

Gil.E

Quote from: sihinch on February 08, 2018, 01:54:07 PM
P.s. I'm not going to be a maker!
You never know Simon. Maybe if you look deep inside, you will find your inner Maker...

But in all seriousness, after hearing from a few members they will never touch a 3D printer with a ten-foot pole, I think my job is done here  :)

Palkina

And the planes "printed" using the original tech.