Michael

Frank v B

Thanks Michael. 

There is a finish line....somewhere. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Setting the fin/rudder in place.

No matter how (in)accurately you have built the plane, the fin needs to be 90 degrees to the stab.

I cut the slot in the top sheet earlier and left the bottom 1/8" of the fin uncovered so the glue will stick.
You guessed it.  5 minute epoxy on both surfaces, slip the fin in its spot and tape a right angle to the stab and fin to keep it at 90 degrees.  I have one with the corner cut out so it clears the fuselage.  See photo.

Let dry overnight.

Frank

bweaver

Re:  Set the stab so it is parallel to the wing when viewed from the nose.

Re: No matter how (in)accurately you have built the plane, the fin needs to be 90 degrees to the stab.

@Frank v B - So let me get this straight. You have to be perfect for setting the fin, but just wing it by line of sight for the stab?  Do you use the 'one eye method', or 'two eye method' for lining it up? Which do you prefer the right or left eye forward?  And how does this other 'cocked eyed' approach you refer to later come into play?  Can't wait to get back for the explanation.  (I really mean, it.  Please don't try to explain now or provide a sketch, only to further confuse me.)  ;D

Frank v B

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce,

We get the feeling you would rather be here to annoy us in person.  Tough to do it in writing!  Eh?  (Canadian Content)
re: "but just wing it by line of sight for the stab?"  Yep. 

re: "Do you use the 'one eye method', or 'two eye method' for lining it up?"  One eye. 

re: Which do you prefer the right or left eye forward?  The accurate one. ;)  It depends on whether you are left eye or right eye dominant.  Katie, Rob D. or Dr. John can give you the Coles Notes on this issue.

re: "Please don't try to explain now or provide a sketch, only to further confuse me."  What an invitation!!!  See photo 1434 just for you.  Katie, please give him a beer.  He must be having a hissy fit. :-X

It is my opinion that if all surfaces are parallel that need to be parallel and at right angles where they need to be then there is no cross coupling of inputs.  Pat MacKenzie can give you the 101 on this.

We all miss you. ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 20, 2018, 05:19:55 PM
Bruce, Bruce, Bruce,

We get the feeling you would rather be here to annoy us in person.  Tough to do it in writing!  Eh?  (Canadian Content)
re: "but just wing it by line of sight for the stab?"  Yep. 

re: "Do you use the 'one eye method', or 'two eye method' for lining it up?"  One eye. 

re: Which do you prefer the right or left eye forward?  The accurate one. ;)  It depends on whether you are left eye or right eye dominant.  Katie, Rob D. or Dr. John can give you the Coles Notes on this issue.

re: "Please don't try to explain now or provide a sketch, only to further confuse me."  What an invitation!!!  See photo 1434 just for you.  Katie, please give him a beer.  He must be having a hissy fit. :-X

It is my opinion that if all surfaces are parallel that need to be parallel and at right angles where they need to be then there is no cross coupling of inputs.  Pat MacKenzie can give you the 101 on this.

We all miss you. ;D

Frank

O.M.G. It's "port" and "starboard".  "Port" and "starboard".  How many times do we have to go over this??!!!

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

re: "O.M.G. It's "port" and "starboard".  "Port" and "starboard".  How many times do we have to go over this??!!!"

This was Bruce's quote.  He still thinks port is a potent wine and starboard has something to do with catching a ride aboard Startrek.  Bruce was a fireman and not on the William Lyon MacKenzie*.

You know I know the difference between P&S and which locations they are. :D

Andy, just play along. 8)

Frank

* William Lyon MacKenzie is the large fireboat in Toronto Harbour.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 20, 2018, 09:32:55 PM
Andy,

re: "O.M.G. It's "port" and "starboard".  "Port" and "starboard".  How many times do we have to go over this??!!!"

This was Bruce's quote.  He still thinks port is a potent wine and starboard has something to do with catching a ride aboard Startrek.  Bruce was a fireman and not on the William Lyon MacKenzie*.

You know I know the difference between P&S and which locations they are. :D

Andy, just play along. 8)

Frank

* William Lyon MacKenzie is the large fireboat in Toronto Harbour.

Hi @Frank v B,

Hmmm, you may be right....

Although, I suspect too much time in the hot southern sun, without any preparatory acclimation, may have fried more than a few of @bweaver's neurons here and there, and the synapses just aren't firing.  He needs to put some ice on them, preferably not from Montezuma's fridge!  I sure hope he recovers before the new students arrive..... ::)

Andy

Frank v B