Protecting Foamies

Started by ppalumbo, February 24, 2018, 05:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppalumbo

I've been looking for something to protect the finish on a few of my foamies and thought I would give Hobby Coat a try.  I found it at Great Hobbies and it was only $10 for a 4oz bottle.  I gave an old FMS spitfire two coats with a foam brush and it only took about 1oz for both coats.  It dried in about 30 minutes and seems to really sealed in the decals.  It leaves a semi-gloss finish It has a kind of a rubbery feel to it (few pics below)

Wasn't too sure how I felt about it at first however after a few flights on a wet and muddy field I'm really glad I used it.  Just a few squirts of water from a spray bottle and the Spit wiped clean (paint and decals fully intact :) )  Water just seems to bead up on surfaces as opposed to soaking into the paint.

Still not 100% sure about the semi-gloss finish for a few warbirds so going to try polycrylic minwax on another older model to see how that works out.  I was able to find a satin finish in an aerosol at home depot south of the boarder. Does anyone have any other suggestions for products that I may want try as well?

Thanks
Peter