A new old model

Started by Michael, February 24, 2018, 07:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I picked up a terrific little ARF from A&J Hobby the other day.

It's a one-meter wing span foam model with some parts, but actually quite a lot of construction and conversion required.

The kit is nearly 20 years old, and was designed for a speed 480 brushed motor and 8 nicad batteries.

Can anyone guess the model? (It's a scale model.)

Michael

Frank v B

"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Similar style and vintage.
Michael

Michael

Servos and wood structure in fuselage; a quick simple assemble, and 'scarf-joint' spar.
Michael

Frank v B

Next two guesses:
- Chilton D.W. 1A
- Klemm L35

Andy Hoffer

How is the condition of the foam after 20 years in the box?

Andy

Frank v B

Michael,

Photo 4 of the wing is making Piker nostalgic.  The same spar design as the Duck-E. :D

Frank

piker

Hmmmm.... I don't recognize it.  One of the Gee Bee models?

Hey Frank!  You're right.  Good recollection of the ill-fated Duck-E.  A very different time in this hobby of ours.  I think I have a NIB in the rafters... you may see a Duck-E fly again one day.

piker

Gee Bee Model D?  I hope so as THAT is a beautiful plane!

Frank v B

Piker,

re: "Good recollection of the ill-fated Duck-E".

Don't be so hard on yourself.  It flew, it was cheap and the winning element was early e-flyers like you, Glenn, Michael, John and Marc were always trying to find ways to get new people involved in e-flying.  You were preaching the gospel of E and many people like me benefitted from your dedication.... 20 or so years ago.  Yes dammit,  that was a compliment!   Savour it. ;) ;)  You have the rest of the day off.... provided the roof is on the house. 8)

Frank

Ededge2002

Looks like a nice and light hybrid design Michael!  Ive found the older models converted from round cells fly very well with the diet that modern equipment allows.

Good luck with your project!

Ed
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Michael

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on February 24, 2018, 11:41:45 PM
How is the condition of the foam after 20 years in the box?

Andy

Nice. Not dry nor brittle.

I have some issues with the building sequence. A wing spar is supposed to be glued in on top of the servo wires, which would make changing a servo very difficult. I'll glue the spar in first, and the wires on top, and then covered by tape.
Michael

Michael

Quote from: piker on February 25, 2018, 10:34:38 AM
Gee Bee Model D?  I hope so as THAT is a beautiful plane!

It's called a Gee Bee Sportster, but it looks like that.

It comes with a ton of decals, but I may try to paint the whole thing.
Michael

Michael

Quote from: Ededge2002 on February 25, 2018, 12:54:35 PM
Looks like a nice and light hybrid design Michael!  Ive found the older models converted from round cells fly very well with the diet that modern equipment allows.

Good luck with your project!

Ed

I agree. The older kits do much better with newer power systems. A 2002 reviewer complained that it seemed under-powered with the recommended 480 brushed motor on 8 nicads. Mine will be powered by an E-Flite 6 series 2700 KV direct drive motor on 3 lipo cells.
Michael

Michael

More work on the wing (landing gear), and the hinges were simply thin styrofoam from the mold. That was definitely a weak point, and instead I am using CA hinges with white glue (one side at a time).

Michael