Workbench Photo Contest

Started by Andy Hoffer, February 28, 2018, 12:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Every millennium or so, @Frank v B comes up with a truly great idea, so we don't want to let one go by when it finally appears!

Close examination of some of the build photos provides some interesting insights into the psyches of the builders and why they behave (or not) the way they do.  Fearless Frank has suggested that "it would be a riot if I could convince all the members to take an as-is photo of their workshops, especially the altars used for sacrificial offerings of balsa and foam, and make them available to me to share with the membership." 

Now, coming from a home where there are rules (enacted and promulgated by Cynthia), Frank, showing tremendous generosity of spirit, has offered up a singular rule for this exercise: each artist is allowed a maximum of 15 minutes to tidy up their workshop before taking the photo.  This shouldn't have much impact, as that is about the time it takes for most folks to burrow through their respective balsa and foam accumulations to find what they are looking for in their aero-heaps.

So, please send me a personal message here, with your email address, to advise of your intent to submit a photo or photos.  I will send you my email address so you can submit them to me.  We will show them at the next Pilot's Meeting and try to guess whose DNA has provided the genesis of each offering. 

The person (or persons) who correctly identifies the greatest number of creators of the industrial masterpieces featured in the photos will receive, from yours truly, a complimentary portrait session of themselves with their favourite RC creations.

Cheers!

@Andy Hoffer

Frank v B

I will be sending my shop photos to Andy this weekend.  Look for the photos that look like the back of my van... without wheels. ;D
The 15 minute clean-up rule will not make a dent in it. :)

"A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind"

Frank

ps: My shop is the opposite of Adam's work table.  Look for the coffee table with the vase on it. ;D
Michael builds on a pool table, Andy probably builds on top of a grand piano and Cadez builds inside a VW van. 8)
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

How embarrassing! Responding to my own post!  But I just had to remind you that there are only 12 more days (including today, March 3) to enter the TEMAC Workbench Photo Contest.  http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6514.msg42533.html#msg42533

You really have nothing to fear, because @Frank v B, by his own admission, has set the standard really low (actually below grade, an area he frequents with his planes).  You may have felt embarrassed to post your shop photos, but Frank's will make anyone else's look absolutely pristine.  (See photo - and this is just his van!!)  Even a kitchen table, a pile of boxes, or a toilet seat will do - in situ, as is, no fuss, no muss* (*OK, so maybe I'm pushing it a bit).  Just shoot it and send it.  As Frank says, "It is reality."  (Sort of like the hidden expiry date on ALL RC planes!!  8)

And if you're terrified of winning and having to endure a photo shoot with me, you can always TRY to give it away!!

Cheers,
Andy Hoffer

Frank v B

Here's my van without wheels.

Dimensions of the workshop is 12' x 6' x my height plus 3".  The walking distance between the opposing tables, closets is 32".

This place has everything including airplane storage for 30 airplanes!.... unfortunately I have more than 40.  Everything is out of the cupboards because the electrical contractor had to be in last week because we preferred to have 220 volts going to the 3rd floor electric heaters versus the 115 he wired it for.  Am taking the opportunity to re-configure the room to store the extra 10 planes.

The first photo shows the hot corner where all the work is done.  Notice the TV in the corner.  You can tell it came from Bruce Weaver's compound because of the moustache.  ;D ;D   His Secret Santa gift two years ago.

The photo only shows 3 of my 5 DX6I transmitters.  I counted 23 transmitters on the other side of which 21 are 72 meg.  Eat your heart out Andy!

The best thing- a bank of drawers I had a custom cabinet shop make 39" wide inside the drawers with full extensions glides and heavy duty shelf bottoms.  Made to hold balsa which comes in 36" lengths.  Rob Dickinson found out last year how great such a drawer unit was.  He bought one too.

To the left of the TV is all the electrical stuff like covering irons, heat guns, soldering irons, glue gun, etc.  Further to the left are plans on the top shelf and spray paints.

The magnetic tool holders on the wall under the spray paints are from Lee Valley and wonderful.

To the right of the TV is the bragging wall with sailing, flying and triathlon awards.

Once the storage wall and opposite side table top is re-configured I will post the photo.  It has the drill press, band saw, and hobby saw on it.

Frank

bweaver

@Frank v B  RE:  Am taking the opportunity to re-configure the room to store the extra 10 planes.

Frank, why don't you just wait to reconfigure 10 of your aircraft in spring at the field using your normal planting technique, so that they will fit in your shop then?  ;D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on March 05, 2018, 10:43:36 AM
@Frank v B  RE:  Am taking the opportunity to re-configure the room to store the extra 10 planes.

Frank, why don't you just wait to reconfigure 10 of your aircraft in spring at the field using your normal planting technique, so that they will fit in your shop then?  ;D

Smooth!  Checkmate!!   8)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy and Bruce,

You need to understand that crashing a plane does not eliminate an airplane from my inventory.  As I told my wife .... after crashing an airplane and she jumped for joy... crashing an airplane is like the plague.  Wipe out one and I build seven more. ;D ;D

Frank

bweaver

RE: Wipe out one and I build seven more. ;D ;D

@Frank v B -  This year we will work on improving your flying skills,  ::) because we all know you can repair and build model aircraft, ready for replanting.   :(

Oh, I forgot to add Frank, that considering your 7 to 1 ratio, I would have thought you should have hundreds, if not thousands of planes by now. 

I think your 'planting technique' far exceeds your delusional 7 to 1 rebuild ratio.  But with your upcoming retirement and additional spare time you will have to practice both activities, who knows?

piker

I don't see room for ANY airplane in that workshop.    :o

Frank v B

Piker,

re:"I don't see room for ANY airplane in that workshop.    :o"

Patience, patience. 
The photo shows half of the shop.  The other half is being renovated... to store the extra 10 airplanes.  Just bought the new countertop today and will re-build it.  Then the photos will be sent to Andy to do with as he wishes for his AV insults presentation at the next Pilots Meeting. ;D ;D

piker