Large Scale @ SRQ Sarasota

Started by RogMason, March 12, 2018, 05:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogMason

Hi guys,
A couple of times recently, I have 'gone flying' at the local club 'SRQ Squadron' Sarasota here in Florida and have been treated to some nice flying displays by guys with large scale models (and large bank accounts I imagine?).  Anyway, after the initial shock of seeing and hearing these incredible models, I whipped my iPhone out to record some of what was happening, so I could share it with you all.
Hope you enjoy -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ac4jle03xiy827/Large%20Scale%20%40%20RC%20Sqdn%20Sarasota.mp4?dl=0

(BTW, anyone know how to get rid of wind buffeting noise in a recording - after the fact?  Of course, you don't know its happening at the time and only discover it when you get it home).
'Roger That...'

sihinch

Wow, Roger! That's amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Frank v B

Roger,

Great video.  It is so nice to see people with beautiful models who know how to fly them.  All landings were greased, especially the F-16.  I have watched so many videos of large scale models flown by people who should not be allowed to fly.   
The sound of the Sea Fury was so realistic.  The pilots in the models were amazing.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Wow!  Did you see the ultra-scale Sea Fury pilot winking at timestamp 1:15?

As for the wind noise, I think it is totally appropriate.  It goes nicely with the extended wind sock at timestamp 1:17.
(If it really bothers you, you can edit the sound track using a graphic equalizer and selectively throttle back the sound frequencies corresponding to the wind noise, probably at low frequencies.  You just want to make  sure you maintain the fidelity of the engine sounds.)

Thanks for sharing.  So much nicer to watch somebody else spend thousands of dollars and just sit back and enjoy the flight without breaking a sweat!

Way to go.

Andy

Wingnutz

Pretty cool to see three beautiful scale models flown in scale fashion...particularly enjoyed the Sea Fury pilot's scale aerobatics, slow, precise and so realistic. Guessing that was a Moki radial and it's pretty hard to make an electric power system sound like that...even with a sound system on board. Not sure I would class the Sea Fury's landing as "greased" but stayed on the runway and no nose over...a good landing.
Loved the speed brakes on the F-86...Rog, do you know if the F-16 had wheel brakes? It slowed down very quickly once on the runway.
The sun awnings at Florida clubs are awesome. While we were in Florida in February, flew at the Largo Flying Club...same sun awnings but no giant scales.
Thanks for the post Rog!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

RogMason

"Loved the speed brakes on the F-86...Rog, do you know if the F-16 had wheel brakes? It slowed down very quickly once on the runway."

Yes Bill, both the jets had wheel brakes (the F86 also had air/speed brakes you'll notice?).  I was impressed by the sudden reduction of speed once on the runway and asked about the brakes.  They said that the system is similar to a pulley/disc with a groove in the circumference. A strap is located in the groove and is servo operated.  A servo tightens the strap and effectively 'grips' the disc.  If I see them again, I'll take a loser look.

The Sea Fury has experienced a 'nose-over' on landing in the recent past.  The pilot said that as the spinner is only scratched, he won't be installing the replacement he purchased just yet, as it cost $300!!  Yikes, I don't know how these guys have the nerves to fly these things, it's like flying your bank account?! $10,000 - $20,000 USD!  I have great respect for the economies of scale and for $300 foamies as result. :-)
'Roger That...'

RogMason

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on March 12, 2018, 08:37:21 PM
Wow!  Did you see the ultra-scale Sea Fury pilot winking at timestamp 1:15?

As for the wind noise, I think it is totally appropriate.  It goes nicely with the extended wind sock at timestamp 1:17.
(If it really bothers you, you can edit the sound track using a graphic equalizer and selectively throttle back the sound frequencies corresponding to the wind noise, probably at low frequencies.  You just want to make  sure you maintain the fidelity of the engine sounds.)

Thanks for your input Andy.  I will try the graphic equalizer route but am concerned that the low note of the radial engine will also be muted?  Alternatively, there are lots of 'distance appropriate' windless flypasts in my raw footage that I can extract the audio from and replace in the affected scenes.

Andy
'Roger That...'