FPV at TEMAC

Started by Crazyflyer, March 18, 2018, 06:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazyflyer

Quote from: ppalumbo on March 20, 2018, 09:20:50 PM
How is this as a draft for the board. I was thinking we could add the rules as a separate board so we can just replace as the rules are updated (e.g. pit mode, etc..).  Think I may be able have this made for Sunday.

Hi Peter, maybe I am complicating things too much to come up with different options. Maybe we can just use that. It still gives 16 options of frequencies.
Stephan

Crazyflyer

Simon, shall we try the board Peter is suggesting? we can always adjust things later if need be.
Stephan

sihinch

Can I just say thank you to everyone for contributing to this. It's an awesome example of what we can do as a group when we have a common goal.

Now to sound stupid! I'm afraid I don't understand Peter's chart! Sorry. I do understand the option A and option B from Stephan.

I'd rather get this right or about right, than rush it.

Crazyflyer

Ok so option 3 is similar to the board Peter posted but a different layout that some may prefer. Actually in that board, there is a mistake in group C, E4-5800 is actually F4-5800. E4 is really 5645.
Okay this is starting to get my head messed up with all these numbers!
Edit:
Ok after comparing the 3 boards, I just realized option A & C are exactly the same. Some my original option was the same as the board Peter posted but layed out differently!

sihinch

I'm guessing that, assuming most people will fly Fatshark, option B would be best on Stephan's board. Am I right do you think?

Crazyflyer

I think I agree with option B as well.
Stephan

sihinch

....but I do try to understand Peters charts, would I be right in saying certain frequencies are in a "group" and then you would only have 1 pilot flying in each group?

That may be less restrictive to brands and maybe would allow more equipment to be used, right?

Can we combine solutions? Option B with Peter's style chart?

Crazyflyer

Yes Simon, only one person in each group can fly at the same time. It doesn't change the equipment, but if you want to specifically use Boscam (for example), the chart I created makes it easier to figure out which channel is available by going down the column.
The other big version leaves a bit more room for clothespins.
I will do the graphics tomorrow like this you have options.

ppalumbo

Updated for B option above.  Again rules on separate board easy updates.  Let me know and I can cut this for the weekend.

ppalumbo

Just a thought however since we are only dealing with 6 frequency groups would it be easy enough to just assign one frequency group to each pilot station.  When we are ready to fly we simply switch to the appropriated channel based on the station we step up to.  It would eliminate the guessing and perhaps the chasing down of who has which channel at any given time.  With a quick glance at the pilot stations you can see which groups are available so you can safely set up in advance (eg. non-fpv pilot is at station 2 so safe to assume that channel group is free to set up).  I could make a smaller sign for each station.  Let me know your thoughts.

ppalumbo

Would also like to see a process in place to facilitate the use of pit mode.  Most newer VTX's have this feature and it really is intended for the safe setup prior to flying.  The pilot station should already be a sufficient distance from the setup area to allow for this.

Crazyflyer

I really like the idea of each pilot station having it's own frequency group.
In organized events, that is the way it is setup and will probably be easier than putting in clothespins on the board or forgetting to do so.
This also allows people who don't want to change channels when they get to the field to line up to a station and wait their turn.

The only challenges I see are to make sure we are all on the same MW power (200mw or 600mw), I fly 600 because I like to get to the edge of the field but a large number of VTXs have one power level only.

I have concerns about the pit mode setup because most people at TEMAC are not avid FPV pilots with the latest gear. I personally don't think that part is critical.

ppalumbo

Great!  If there are no objections I'll start on the following:

•   One small sign for each pilot station (A, B, C...., colour coded and will list channels and frequency)
•   One sign (maybe hung below current channel chart) as a general reference (like the PDF I attached)
•   One FPV rules sign.

I agree that pit mode is not critical at this point and does not need to be regulated at this point. If you have equipment that supports it then we should feel free to use it for set up.

Over to the board for approval I guess.

sihinch

Thanks again Peter and Stephan.

Can I suggest that we keep to just 1 frequency board.  NOT one at each Pilot station.  So be all means, let's go ahead with a "larger" frequency table, to be place somewhere near the current 72Mhz sign.

But I do agree with labelling the pilot stations with a number.  I can do that, no problem.

For the FPV rules, can we please wait because I do want to review them a little more and ensure we have everything covered.  And then get Graham's approval, from a Safety perspective.

Crazyflyer

Cool, so to confirm the main board will be as per Peter's V5 frequency chart. And the individual groups can be placed on the individual flight stations.
Peter, do you need anything from me?

Stephan