FPV at TEMAC

Started by Crazyflyer, March 18, 2018, 06:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

I have to admit this beats my Cessna for really low passes!

Thanks Eric.

Andy

Crazyflyer

Actually its Stephan but I am used to it at Temac!! We Hagens' look alike  ;)
With FPV you can do things you would want to do in a full size airplane but can't afford either the cost or the death part of it!!

Stephan

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on April 12, 2018, 10:38:50 AM
I have to admit this beats my Cessna for really low passes!

Thanks Eric.

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Oh my goodness.  I am SO sorry Stephan.  I don't know why I automatically thought of @Eric Adventurer when I saw "@Crazyflyer".  But you are right.  You almost look like drones clones of each other - virtually indistinguishable!   8)

I will try to pay closer attention.

Andy

bweaver

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on April 12, 2018, 02:50:42 PM
Oh my goodness.  I am SO sorry Stephan.  I don't know why I automatically thought of @Eric Adventurer when I saw "@Crazyflyer".  But you are right.  You almost look like drones clones of each other - virtually indistinguishable!   8)

Andy

@Andy Hoffer , how close did you get to @Frank v B last night at the pilots meeting?  I hope this miss-identity matter isn't that contagious.   ???

Andy, while I always recognized you qualified for the Morning Crew, now you too have demonstrated it fully. 

Having said that; Please don't get too close to any of us with what is apparently getting carried along.  It is too confusing for many of us.... we respond to pretty well anything. 

When you and Frank join the group next time, we will be sure to wear our name-tags.  Is larger print necessary?  :-*

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on April 12, 2018, 03:08:04 PM
Quote from: Andy Hoffer on April 12, 2018, 02:50:42 PM

Andy

@Andy Hoffer , how close did you get to @Frank v B last night at the pilots meeting?  I hope this miss-identity matter isn't that contagious.   ???

Andy, while I always recognized you qualified for the Morning Crew, now you too have demonstrated it fully. 

Having said that; Please don't get too close to any of us with what is apparently getting carried along.  It is too confusing for many of us.... we respond to pretty well anything. 

When you and Frank join the group next time, we will be sure to wear our name-tags.  Is larger print necessary?  :-*

Hi @bweaver ,

I must confess, I did shake @Frank v B 's hand last night, so I may have picked up something.  My wife mentioned this morning that I had been mumbling in my sleep last night - something about "solders in the polders"...

The only "miss-identity" issue I am aware of is forgetting the name of our server at Colonel Mustard's.

In any event, you will be comforted to know that I will never confuse you with anyone else.   8)

Always in awe of our masterful CFI,

Andy

Frank v B

re: "When you and Frank join the group next time, we will be sure to wear our name-tags.  Is larger print necessary?  :-*"

Bruce,

To heck with the large print.  Try Braille...... and..... bring your white cane. ;D ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

Quote from: Crazyflyer on March 18, 2018, 09:51:50 PM
Here are preliminary guidelines I am thinking about:

FPV RULES:
1. Before plugging in, check that no one is flying FPV.
2. Check to see if anyone else is about to turn on their FPV system
3. Tag the frequency you would like to use on the frequency board
4. Turn on your aircraft with FPV (ensure no one is flying) and switch to the proper channel.
5. If there are multiple people flying FPV, try to coordinate to fly together or once they have landed. Taking off while someone is flying far away can cause interference.
6. Use a spotter to make sure you are not interfering with other aircraft, and to help locate your plane in case you lose FPV connection.
7. FPV systems are very sensitive, if someone is flying FPV, do not fly or walk by them within 15' with an active video transmitter; even if you are on a different channel, this will create very strong interference with their system.

Use your spotter:
• MAAC requires a spotter to make sure another MAAC pilot can take control of your plane in case you loose FPV connection with your aircraft. If you are flying a multicopter or a fast plane, it is very unlikely that your spotter will be able to take control of your craft in time, however the spotter can tell you where you are, suggest certain maneuvers, and see exactly where you land (or dig a hole!!)
• If you do loose FPV connection, it could be for a moment, it could be due to equipment failure or it could be someone else plugging in. When flying a multicopter in "acro" mode, switch to angle mode (practice switching quickly), it will make it easier to avoid crashing, as it will let you hover (don't power too much or too little). Your spotter can then guide you with less stress.
• If you lose FPV for more than 2 seconds, try to go straight and level, calmly pull off your goggles and have your spotter point to where your aircraft is. Chances are that you will be able to recover

Learning to fly FPV
• When learning to fly FPV, one of the hardest lessons is to understand your altitude (most FPV cameras have a very wide field of view which really distorts distance). Ask your spotter to tell you approximately what altitude you are flying until you get comfortable judging for yourself. Force yourself to go lower and lower (stay at a consistent level for the length of the runway) until you get used to your altitude.
• Landing FPV is very scary at first, you may want to fly level in front on you, pull off your goggles to land LOS (line of sight), but once you are comfortable with judging distance, you will love landing FPV (this relates to planes, landing a multicopter with the camera angled up, is not fun as you can only see the sky!!).
• You will also need to get used to where you are, when you are 300' up or 1000' away, you can forget where you are and have a hard time finding the runway.
• When flying FPV planes, your speed will also be very hard to judge, if you enjoy flying slow, you have to be aware that you can stall because you didn't realize how slow you were going. Get to know your airplane LOS and be aware of wind speed and wind direction. An experienced spotter can guide you with that.

Hey everyone,

There was a little accident last night involving FPV; there was no damage or no harm done. It was more of a little reminder of the challenges of multiple people flying FPV.

So I thought I'd come on here today to review the rules, and check they were posted.  I found this (quote), which is good!  But realised we never formalised them or posted them at the field.  So here is an action for me.

Anyway, FPV flyers, please try to remember these rules for flying FPV at TEMAC.

Thanks,
Simon