Rogo Field Closed for 2017-2018 Winter Flying

Started by bweaver, March 19, 2018, 07:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

It is sad to report to the members of TEMAC, that Rogo Field is officially closed at midnight tonight to any further Winter Flying for this 2017/2018 flying season.

Only 4 members came out today to commemorate this emotional occasion.  These members included, Andy Hoffer, Jim Spence, Bjerne Roberts and our CFI Bruce Weaver.  All of these members wished that more people had attended, but with only one's personal calendars being able to notify everyone that the winter season was coming to a close, no other members attended.

Andy Hoffer would like to remind members who have been unable or unwilling to participate this past winter flying season, that they will have an opportunity to winter fly again beginning later this December.

In other words, SPRING FLYING 2018 is here starting tomorrow, followed by SUMMER AND FALL FLYING seasons beginning later in June.

Don't waste this coming flying season with measly excuses like  "its' too cold", or "it's too hot" preventing you from getting out to the field.

Get those planes ready and get them out there.  ;D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Richard_RC_Guy on March 19, 2018, 08:24:26 PM
Hi Bruce:

Now that was really funny. I get a notification beginning "Rogo field closed....." and then oh crap! What does it mean?

After reading thoroughly and *finally* calming down, I thought it was so sad that Winter flying will come to an end tonight - NOT!. But I'm really glad that Spring flying begins tomorrow! Yeah Spring. And so glad that Rogo field will be OPEN for Spring flying.

I guess I got my last Winter flying in about 2 weeks ago - never thought that Winter flying was ending so soon.

Good one Bruce! I suppose you will have more up your sleeve for the coming season?

Regards,

Richard B.

With such a serenely angelic face (so deftly captured by Greg Hazelton at the March 14 Pilots Meeting) why would anyone think that Bruce (@bweaver) might have something up his sleeve for the coming season?!!   8)

Andy

sihinch

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on March 19, 2018, 07:32:10 PM
It is sad to report to the members of TEMAC, that Rogo Field is officially closed at midnight tonight to any further Winter Flying for this 2017/2018 flying season.

Only 4 members came out today to commemorate this emotional occasion.  These members included, Andy Hoffer, Jim Spence, Bjerne Roberts and our CFI Bruce Weaver.  All of these members wished that more people had attended, but with only one's personal calendars being able to notify everyone that the winter season was coming to a close, no other members attended.

Andy Hoffer would like to remind members who have been unable or unwilling to participate this past winter flying season, that they will have an opportunity to winter fly again beginning later this December.

In other words, SPRING FLYING 2018 is here starting tomorrow, followed by SUMMER AND FALL FLYING seasons beginning later in June.

Don't waste this coming flying season with measly excuses like  "its' too cold", or "it's too hot" preventing you from getting out to the field.

Get those planes ready and get them out there.  ;D

It really was a truly beautiful day - a balmy 0oC with brisk SE, then NW winds, and blue skies.  Jim Spence and Bruce Weaver did some intriguing formation flying, and both planes actually survived to have their portraits taken. 

Highlight of the day:  BJ pulled off a gold medal performance in the Prop Recovery event, eventually divining the location of his prop and spinner, which went AWOL from his new Warwings bird, out in the east 40 amongst the corn stubble and mud, after a LONG search, aided by Bruce.  We expect that BJ headed straight to the Lotto 649 vendor as soon as he left the field.

It has been a magnificent winter, right to the very end.  And it has been wonderful to share it.

Welcome to the vernal equinox.   8)

Andy

bweaver

RE - It really was a truly beautiful day - a balmy 0oC with brisk SE, then NW winds, and blue skies.  Jim Spence and Bruce Weaver did some intriguing formation flying, and both planes actually survived to have their portraits taken.

Yes it certainly was a beautiful day.  The photo above captures Jim and I doing our famous formation flying crisscross maneuvers, after simultaneously looping.   @Andy Hoffer  If you would take your head out from behind the camera for more than the shortest moment, you will realize that the world is abuzz with movement.  Try taking up video!

Jim and I were also practicing for the WarBird Race Days ahead.  Like NASCAR, Jim and I are considering taking a team approach to our air-racing.  Nobody will catch us...  :)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on March 20, 2018, 08:44:22 AM
RE - It really was a truly beautiful day - a balmy 0oC with brisk SE, then NW winds, and blue skies.  Jim Spence and Bruce Weaver did some intriguing formation flying, and both planes actually survived to have their portraits taken.

Yes it certainly was a beautiful day.  The photo above captures Jim and I doing our famous formation flying crisscross maneuvers, after simultaneously looping.   @Andy Hoffer If you would take your head out from behind the camera for more than the shortest moment, you will realize that the world is abuzz with movement.  Try taking up video!

Jim and I were also practicing for the WarBird Race Days ahead.  Like NASCAR, Jim and I are considering taking a team approach to our air-racing.  Nobody will catch us...  :)

Yes, video can indeed capture movement (as often done so capably by Oscar), but a good still can capture the moment, and the imagination.  Keeping my head behind the camera allows me to be there for just the right moment (e.g. on that rare occasion when the "formation pilots" are actually less than 100 feet apart!).  It also affords great protection from said errant pilots when the "formation" goes south.  8)

Andy

BJROB

It was a great day... ;D
It's highly suggestive that if you want to enjoy great sprint flying. :P
And yes walking for your health as you retreave your spring planting of your air-nautical plants  ???
Bring rubber boots   ;D
Get the ultralight ones. Starting out they may weigh a couple of ounces  :)
After a few steps you'll gather some of ROGO's finest earth :o
And you will build up some of them great mussels you never knew were there  :'(
At least for a long time :-*
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

bweaver

@BJROB  - Recovered props are not only good for being put back on your plane (investment saved and having another flight), but they also make great boot scrapers as well! 

@sihinch - Simon, BJ also recovered the other half of a green plastic bomb shell that is believed to belong to you.  It is in the 'lost and found'. A perfect match to the half bomb shell that was already there.

And @Frank v B, BJ also found landing gear sticking out of the ground with one wheel exposed and the remainder of the plane rooted well in the ground.  Unfortunately the ground is still frozen, so it couldn't be recovered or 'harvested' at this time.  The buried aircraft was believed to belong to you, resulting from one of your attempts at fall planting.

sihinch

@bweaver I can't believe you think the bombs would be mine!

But thank you!

bweaver

Quote from: sihinch on March 20, 2018, 10:30:45 PM
@bweaver I can't believe you think the bombs would be mine!

But thank you!

Simon We're only talking bomb - singular.  We thought for sure that this one belonged to you.   ???

Who lost two halves of a bomb and was afraid to take the first half home with them?  Anyways there is a neat bomb in the 'lost and found' looking for its owner.

sihinch

Frank v B

Bruce,

re:
And @Frank v B, BJ also found landing gear sticking out of the ground with one wheel exposed and the remainder of the plane rooted well in the ground.  Unfortunately the ground is still frozen, so it couldn't be recovered or 'harvested' at this time.  The buried aircraft was believed to belong to you, resulting from one of your attempts at fall planting.

You have it all wrong:
1) I do not litter- I picked up after everyone of my crashes.  I come to the field with at least 20 garbage bags in my flight box.
2) I am not missing an airplane.  I will gladly adopt what you found.
3) The only thing I did not recover..... and will accept abuse for... is a missing canopy of my little 20" span Cox Zero.  It probably went through the combine and has probably been reduced to the atomic level and vapourized.  It was not much bigger than that to begin with. :)

My fall planting levels were below normal last summer. ;D

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Gregor77

mmmm another sunny day and 0 outside with what feels like a -20 wind from the north... 

>:(

Lots of planes waiting for the hanger door to open up!

bweaver

RE: @Gregor77 s comment - mmmm another sunny day and 0 outside with what feels like a -20 wind from the north...

Yes Greg it is a cool and windy day for demonstration/qualifying flights for Dan and Brandon (newbies to TEMAC). Dan and Brandon just recently joined TEMAC.  Today both have easily demonstrated their abilities to fly this morning in this lovely Spring weather, regardless of its strong north wind and -20 degree wind chill factor.  Now that's the spirit.

Welcome to the club Dan and Brandon (father and son team).

Gregor77

Well, I am going today, maybe around 1:30.. it's cold, but at least I can get a flight or two in... wind is light at least infront of the house...