Next build class- Wed. March 28 at Col Mustards

Started by Frank v B, March 22, 2018, 09:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

The next build class will be Wednesday March 28 at Col Mustards starting at the dinner table at 6 pm and then downstairs at about 7. 

On tap this week:

Warwing.... the final fantasy.  Bruce, the Master of Warwing Disaster will be on hand to give final instructions and check over your projects.  He can go over flying instructions such as "How to hand-launch", "how to trim" and "how to master your bird".

I will bring my P-51 conversion.  Just finished covering it and adding the motor and landing gear.

Piker will bring whatever project he can uncover, provided the ladder and gravity are kinder to him for this class.

Bring your projects, your questions,  a area you are stuck on or just plainly don't understand.  We have several instructors who can confuse the hell out of you.  You'll go home scratching your head.... which is why some of us instructors have bald patches on the back of our heads. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

Lookin' forward to it!  I have a stab to build!

bweaver

@Frank v B, I have a favour to ask the wise one who has repaired as many planes as he has crashed and more.  PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEE help me put Humpty together again on Wednesday night. 

You have seen this plane before.  You may remember last summer when you left me in the rain, in a corn field, looking for my downed glider.  (As I recall, you did wait by the car out of the rain ensuring that I did return.  Very thoughtful.)

Well, I am getting around to finally making repairs to fuselage. While the damage is not severe, I could use some tips on fixing/reinforcing etc., if would be so kind?

Illustration 1 below, is me grovelling.

Photos 2 and 3 are highlighting the damaged areas.

Frank v B

No problems.  I've seen woise.  Reminds me of Billy Crystal in the Princess Bride movie.  It's only mostly dead..... that means it is still partly alive.

Frank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbE8E1ez97M
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Spring is here and many of the club members must have most of their rebuilds (repairs) new aircraft projects including warwings well under control.  (As a matter of fact there wasn't a warwing construction question or on going construction of a warwing for that matter at all.  I take that as a good sign.  I am sure many of you do as well.

Last night BJ brought in his new warwing completed with a central float and sponson on each wing tip.  The plane is even equipped with a handsome pilot. (Obviously I am not referring to BJ in this regard - the handsome pilot is one the plane)  BJ has also gone all out with his painting and decorating of this aircraft.  (You should have been there to see it)  I can't wait to see it flying.

Rob D brought out his Beech project... Again sorry not photos, but he has covered the tail surfaces and attached them to the fuselage before going home.  His projects always impress me. 

Rob P proceeded to finish off and cover his stab.  It is big enough to be a wing.  We also discussed the challenges of how he is going to finish getting drywall up to his workshop and the new dumbwaiter he is going to install to reduce hanger rash while moving his planes to and from the new workshop.

Frank vB brought out his P51 and installed the landing gear and put the wing on.   It looks very nice.  I understand it will be the base for his other aircraft in his transportation hanger, because it is pretty big...  I always like a  P51, even if it is Frank's.

Dan T brought out a partially completed Frankenplane project consisting of a powered glider, cub, hand launch glider mix that looks pretty interesting.  Dan explained that he has built and flown a number of these aircraft using different variations in wing arrangements and parts.  He also explained how he tests the aircraft for finding the CG by hand launching it to his son, who is supposed to be a great catch. Weights are added added where necessary. Once the glide and catch is perfected, Dan proceeds to install the remainder of the electronic components in such a way as to maintain the CG as closely as possible to that found from hand launch glides.  Makes sense.  Dan claims that these aircraft are very easy to fly and he uses them off the lake at his cottage and lets people interested in the hobby try them out. (Again, sorry no pictures.)

Finally, thanks to Frank for his guidance on how I can repair my fuselage in as many slow and painful steps as possible. I am sure that these steps will work much better than the way I thought I would do it. I should be able to have it flying again by the next flying season.  Again not surpising, but Frank and I had a little difference of opinion on the set up time for 5 minute epoxy and for the cooking time of a soft-boiled egg. 

And to keep us on track, Don D came out for dinner for the comradery and to observe and cheer on the build and repair activities.

A good night had by all.