Frank's 1/2A Taylorcraft build- stick build

Started by Frank v B, March 23, 2018, 10:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Quote from: Frank v B on April 10, 2018, 09:26:31 PM
Piker:

re: your post "Am I old fashion, or is this a sign of mass production cost savings?  Where's the tar paper underlay on these roofs?  Also, did they use more than two nails per shingle tile?"

Tar paper is only required 3' upslope the wall line (not the overhang).  Subdivision builders stick to code and that is an absolute minimum.  You and I would put Ice and Water Shield on the eaves, on each side of valleys and around skylights.

re: nails- I handled about 500 roofing insurance claims and was told by our roofer that subdivision houses use 15 year shingles* and 3-nail each shingle because that is the only way they can make money.  The difference between profit and loss is not what they do but what they hold back on.  If your roofer ever says he does subdivision houses stay the hell away from him.

\Now back to building with balsa 2x4's. :D

Frank

* 15 years ago the industry made 15, 20 and 25 year shingles.  Then they arbitrarily changed 15 year shingles to 20 year shingles without changing the make-up.  Roofing and drain/foundation people are the worst cheaters in the industry. 
Acid test: if your roofer gives you a quote, ask him for his WSIB registration and manufacturer's installer's certificate for the shingles he is installing. 
WSIB (Workman's Safety and Insurance Board)The reason: if he falls off your roof while working and he does not have WSIB, you are liable. 
Installer's certificate: every shingle manufacturer has a qualification process for installers using their products.  If you have a problem and your roofer is not certified, your 20-25 year warranty is void.  The reason: roofers usually say they guarantee the installation for 5 years because they carry that warranty and the manufacturer guarantees it to the limit of the shingle warranty.  If it is not registered, you are S.O.L.

What forum is this?  ROOFERS R US?

Frank v B

Andy

re: your question Roofers are Us. 

Only applies to those people who are singing Raindrops keep falling on my head..... ;D

Piker asked a question.... he gets an answer.  You might even learn something. :)  Scary thought!

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Quote from: Frank v B on April 10, 2018, 11:46:20 PM
Andy

Only applies to those people who are singing Raindrops keep falling on my head..... ;D

Piker asked a question.... he gets an answer.  You might even learn something. :)  Scary thought!

Frank

@Frank v B - Congratulations!  You have just demonstrated that you are fully qualified to join the Morning Crew.

piker

I've got a new steel roof.  Good for 100 years!   ;D

Oh, and nice plane Frank.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on April 10, 2018, 11:46:20 PM
Andy

Frank

@Frank v B ,

I know @bweaver is a very tolerant and understanding guy, but it's awfully harsh to call him "Andy".   8)

Andy

Frank v B

Sorry Andy and Bruce,

You guys are so interchangeable.... just like Eric and Stephan. 8) 8)

So now we have 3 blind mice.

Frank

Frank v B

Got word from Andy that because of the ice/rain in the forecast this weekend I better keep building this so he can critique my work/photos/life/friendships/enemies/pets/car/lack of skill. 8)
Someone give this man a real job.... please! ;D

Servos- Installed the servos last night.  Used a fairly hefty balsa stick as servo rails.  It will strengthen the fuse since the rails are at the pinch point for hand-launches.

Wing bolt- Installed the wing hold-down bolt.  Threaded the balsa and put watered-down carpenters glue on the 10-24 threads.  Will re-tap it today.

Sanded all the parts, trimmed joints, added a windshield former.  Picked out the covering and the colour combo from web images.

Gentlemen... start your covering irons.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on April 14, 2018, 10:50:28 AM
Got word from Andy that because of the ice/rain in the forecast this weekend I better keep building this so he can critique my work/photos/life/friendships/enemies/pets/car/lack of skill. 8)

Servos- Installed the servos last night.  Used a fairly hefty balsa stick as servo rails.  It will strengthen the fuse since the rails are at the pinch point for hand-launches.

Wing bolt- Installed the wing hold-down bolt.  Threaded the balsa and put watered-down carpenters glue on the 10-24 threads.  Will re-tap it today.

Sanded all the parts, trimmed joints, added a windshield former.  Picked out the covering and the colour combo from web images.

Frank

SOOOOO many delicious choices!! So nice of @Frank v B  to give me a good starting point.  Now, where to begin.............!   8)

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on April 14, 2018, 10:50:28 AM

Frank

It never fails to amaze me how much inspiration you can get from @Frank v B !  In today's episode the Secretary-Treasurer of TEMAC was so deeply moved by Frank's evocative Taylorcraft build presentation at the April Pilots Meeting that he ran out and scratch-built a scale freezing rain protective covering for his 1/3-scale Monster RC Transport Truck.  The best part is that the freezing rain is self-sealing and keeps the covering from flapping around in high winds!! (@Frank v B will be so proud of me!!!)  I am looking forward to providing dramatic proof-of-concept photos after Sunday's ice storm!!!   8)

Andy

Frank v B

Hey Andy,

Nice job matching the covering for your car with your garage door. ;)

It's the details in life that are important.

Frank

Frank v B

Getting ready for covering.

- painted the windshield area black (anti-glare) and added the braces.
- painted the area around the windows white to match the covering.

The paint is just the cheap stuff from the dollar store.

The first job is to cover the windows.  Will use clear Monokote instead of celluloid.  The clear covering will work its way around the compound curves of the windshield.

Now let's see if this is true.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Sigh...I'm just not getting through to @Frank v B .  (He needs to open up at least 1 stop when shooting a white subject on a white background.....)  If I could just get him alone for a couple of hours I think I could fix this........ ::)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

Taken out of context, your statement is soooooo tempting:

"He needs to open up at least 1 stop when shooting a white subject...."

You are such a white subject! ;D ;) 8)

Frank

Frank v B

Update!

Worked hard this weekend to finish the Taylorcraft.

- windshield and windows from clear Monokote are in place.  Worked great on the flat windows, a 5/10 for the windshield.  A few wrinkles in it. I will invoke the 50/50* rule.
- covered the fuselage, stab, elevators, fin and rudder, hatch and cowl.
- cut out the ailerons and sanded the edges.

Just have to cover the wings and ailerons.  Then add the trim colours.

The end is in sight.

Frank

* 50/50 rule: if you can't see the mistake at 50 feet and 50 miles an hour it is not worth wasting time fixing it.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on April 16, 2018, 09:39:05 PM
Update!

Worked hard this weekend to finish the Taylorcraft.

- windshield and windows from clear Monokote are in place.  Worked great on the flat windows, a 5/10 for the windshield.  A few wrinkles in it. I will invoke the 50/50* rule.
- covered the fuselage, stab, elevators, fin and rudder, hatch and cowl.
- cut out the ailerons and sanded the edges.

Just have to cover the wings and ailerons.  Then add the trim colours.

The end is in sight.

Frank

* 50/50 rule: if you can't see the mistake at 50 feet and 50 miles an hour it is not worth wasting time fixing it.

Andy 8)