Frank's 1/2A Taylorcraft build- stick build

Started by Frank v B, March 23, 2018, 10:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Each one of those stalks has been fertilized with foam, balsa or fibreglass.  They got to 7 feet tall.  We sure worked hard last summer. ;D

Frank

ps: re: the photo: the bad news is "corn.  The good news is it is summer!.  This year "summer" will be from July 15-25. :'(
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

After three days of furious covering:

- all elements are covered, ready for the trim colour (red)
- elevator and rudder have been hinged.
- windshield and windows in place.

Now on to the trim covering, striping and aileron hinging.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

bweaver

Looking good Frank! 

Mayden Fest is just days away.  :)

Frank v B

Woke both of you up eh Bruce and Andy. ;D

Andy- Charlie is in the works.  He refuses to fly another plane for me until he has survived the Corsair maiden. Have to go to plan B.

Bruce: re:"Looking good Frank! "
That's two compliments out of you.  Are you going soft?

Tonight is trim colours and aileron hinging.

Frank

piker

Hey Frank!  Can you explain how you cover a plane?   ;D

But seriously... are those rear cabin drapes?

Robert

Frank v B

Piker,

picky, picky.

When I did the post I saw them in the photo, put the stuff back in the shop and immediately cut the "curtains" at the back of the cabin.  They are gone. ;)  The plane should be Piker-approved now.

Frank

Frank v B

First assembly of the parts.  Looking like a plane.  Tail feathers pinned in place while the glue cures.

Still to do:
- connect the servos to the flying surfaces
- wheels
- tail wheel assembly
- prop, battery hold-down etc.
- working on a pilot figure.  Charlie refuses to fly this one.

There is a finish line.

Frank

bweaver

@Frank v B ,The plane is looking even better now with some color.  But tell me,  have you moved into the kitchen or bathroom as part of your workshop?  Your time with Kate and I hasn't gone to waste.

:-*

piker

Yes!  The planes IS looking very nice now that the covering is trimmed up properly and some colour is added.

I'm thinking laundry room as I assume that's the top of the washing machine to the right.

bweaver

Quote from: piker on April 18, 2018, 11:40:57 PM
Yes!  The planes IS looking very nice now that the covering is trimmed up properly and some colour is added.

I'm thinking laundry room as I assume that's the top of the washing machine to the right.

Even if it is the laundry room, that's a step up too.

sihinch

I think it looks lovely Frank.

Do you have any tips for cutting and applying trim pieces of covering?

Frank v B

Replies to your questions/statements:

- yes it is the laundry room.  I built the base cabinet with Ikea doors but built the countertop at exactly the same height as the tops of the washer/dryer.  Very useful feature to keep in mind when Piker designs and builds his.

- I took the picture in the laundry room because it was a clean horizontal surface.  The floor was taken.  The Corsair photos were taken in the laundry room as well.  Consistent at least.

- Simon, re adding trim:  The red trim on the fuselage was Solarfilm.  Only three things to keep in mind- cut the trim with a new #11 blade, use a steel ruler and cut on a hard surface.  The best cutting surface is a piece of glass.  It is flat and doesn't dull the blade.  The small trim stripe the length of the fuselage is Canadian Tire car striping tape.

Frank

electroflyer

Frank
  She is a Beauty!
I have a Adrian Page 40" Super Cub I will have to get covered. It has been languishing for a couple of years in a state of "almost built". Time to change that. Then I can share the sky with you and the "T"-Craft!

Glenn