EF1 Flaperons vs Spoilerons

Started by Crazyflyer, April 02, 2018, 08:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazyflyer

Hi Guys,
I have finally repaired my Shoestring EF1 and setup both flaperons and spoilerons since I am not use to landing at high speed with wheels and without FPV!!
For those with experience with these types of planes, is it spoilerons that require uptrim on the elevator and flaperons downtrim?

I know some planes act differently.

Suggestions would be great!  ;D

Stephan

sihinch

Hi Stephan,

I must admit that I don't use either flaperons or spoilerons on my EF1 planes. Maybe I should!?

If I had the choice I'd go with spoilerons. Not sure about elevator requirements, sorry.

Frank v B

Stephan,

Please be very careful with flapperons. It is the equivalent of adding wash-in to a wing which is very dangerous.  I learned my lesson 20 years ago on a 52" span P-38 when I first used flapperons and it caused it to go into a flat spin.  When I asked Jack Humphries (A&J Hobbies) what happened, he cautioned me never to use flapperons on a plane, especially with strip ailerons.  Flaps need to be on a section of the wing close to the fuselage, but never on the outboard half of a wing.... which is where the ailerons are/should be located.

Flaps and flapperons need "down" trim when deployed.  Spoilerons probably need the reverse.

If you add flapperons to your EF-1, I will bring the garbage bag. :(

I strongly advise you not to do it.

For what it is worth.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Crazyflyer

Thanks Frank, I have setup both on a 3way switch for me to test out high up.
I saw on Youtube some people that setup both on a pylon racer and they felt the flaperons did a better job where as the spoilerons caused a lot of issues. Of course that depends on each plane, some are the very opposite. I am hoping I can have both setup and land with which ever works best including the elevator adjustment.
I have a lot of bad luck (skill!) and only had one decent landing on this plane, I really don't want to have to trash another one!

Stephan

sihinch

OK, now you broaden the scope.....

I do use spoilerons on all my fast pylon racers and they work very, very well. I don't need any elevator compensation and they slow the plane down superbly. But I always deploy them on final approach only. Ed coached me on this approach.....