Ryerson Flying- 2018 Sunday April 8

Started by Frank v B, April 07, 2018, 05:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Zach has confirmed he will be flying his quad at the field this Sunday 12-2.  I will attend.
Remember, Andy has listed the Ryerson students as my "children" so they are my responsibility. 
My wife knows and she is still (again) shaking her head. :)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Wow!  It was sunny and cold when I got one minute away from the field.  At Kennedy Road it became a white-out!!!  There were 7 cars and 9 Ryerson people waiting for me.  They had 3 quads with them.  The large one used a 10,000 mah battery 6S.  Essentially a brick with a red and black wire coming from it.  The quad only drew 18 amps empty while flying but is capable of lifting a ton.

This year's competition:

The quad has to autonomously fly across a field and GPS identify anywhere between 10 and 40 targets and take photographs of them.  Then it has to fly into a building through an open window and drop a listening device in the room and return to base.

For bonus points it has to do a second mission into the building and read instructions from a piece of paper on a desk with 16 point type size writing, halfway between these two examples.

Example of the print size: Why am I doing this" (14 point) "Why am I doing this? (18 point size)

Today the winds were very strong- approx. 30 kmh.  The Canadian flag at the Storage complex (Simon's hangar) at Kennedy Road and Stouffville was pointing straight out and flapping vigerously.  Trivia: it takes 19km/h winds to stretch out a Canadian flag.  That is different from any other country's flag.  The Canadian flag is a ratio of 1 to 2 (ratio of hoist to fly).  All other flags are a ratio of 2 to 3 and straighten out in a lighter wind.

They had to film the flight.  You will see a camera at the taxiway.  They had to prove they met the flight milestone with their project.

Will post photos after dinner when I have access to my computer.  Dinner's done!

Here are the photos.  Hagensesses- eat your hearts out! ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on April 08, 2018, 05:46:34 PM
Wow!  It was sunny and cold when I got one minute away from the field.  At Kennedy Road it became a white-out!!!  There were 7 cars and 9 Ryerson people waiting for me.  They had 3 quads with them.  The large one used a 10,000 mah battery 6S.  Essentially a brick with a red and black wire coming from it.  The quad only drew 18 amps empty while flying but is capable of lifting a ton.

This year's competition:

The quad has to autonomously fly across a field and GPS identify anywhere between 10 and 40 targets and take photographs of them.  Then it has to fly into a building through an open window and drop a listening device in the room and return to base.

For bonus points it has to do a second mission into the building and read instructions from a piece of paper on a desk with 16 point type size writing, halfway between these two examples.

Example of the print size: Why am I doing this" (14 point) "Why am I doing this? (18 point size)

Today the winds were very strong- approx. 30 kmh.  The Canadian flag at the Storage complex (Simon's hangar) at Kennedy Road and Stouffville was pointing straight out and flapping vigerously.  Trivia: it takes 19km/h winds to stretch out a Canadian flag.  That is different from any other country's flag.  The Canadian flag is a ratio of 1 to 2 (ratio of hoist to fly).  All other flags are a ratio of 2 to 3 and straighten out in a lighter wind.

Will post photos after dinner when I have access to my computer.

Frank

Hey @Frank v B ,

Hurry up and eat so we can see your pictures!!!  We are now used to your prolific visuals as evidenced in your build logs, so all this dialog with no pix just doesn't cut it any more.

Waiting ...............................................

Andy

Frank v B

Andy.... kkkkeeeepppp wwwwaaaiiiting. :D :D :D

Frank

Crazyflyer

Wow these are big quads to go through windows for spying!! The hard part will be keeping the paper from flying around when trying to take a picture of the text  ;D

Are they looking at collision avoidance tech (lidar etc...) when inside a building since GPS won't work? Or are they doing it FPV?

By the way when you say "Hagensesses- eat your hearts out! ;D" do you mean you finally caught the quad FPV bug??? hahaha!

Frank v B

Stefan,

re:"do you mean you finally caught the quad FPV bug??? hahaha!"

Never!  Quads and I don't see eye to eye.  My comment was on the quad photos and that it must be eye candy to you and Eric.

Good observations on the paper blowing away and GPS not working inside a building.  Will find out.

If you stand back and look at this project, you will realize how far this hobby has come in the last 5 years (onboard videos, GPS, quads, stabilization systems, AI, crash avoidance, etc.)

Frank

Crazyflyer

Checkout https://www.dji.com/mavic-air for $1350CAD
This technology is absolutely insane. From what I understand it is because of cell phone technology that we are able to use these micro computers in our toys. There is more tech in my racing quad there there was in the lunar lander!

All these students need to do is buy one of these, attach a servo to drop off the package and hack the programming to do what they need. The camera is HD, it has collision avoidance, 21 min flight time, GPS, FPV, all in a tiny package that can fit in your coat pocket, just insane.
The hardware is available at really good prices, just need to figure out the programming.

Stephan

sihinch

Quote from: Frank v B on April 08, 2018, 10:04:35 PM
If you stand back and look at this project, you will realize how far this hobby has come in the last 5 years (onboard videos, GPS, quads, stabilization systems, AI, crash avoidance, etc.)

Frank

It's amazing you still crash, Frank!  ;D

Palkina

Quote from: Crazyflyer on April 08, 2018, 10:55:31 PM
Checkout https://www.dji.com/mavic-air for $1350CAD
This technology is absolutely insane. From what I understand it is because of cell phone technology that we are able to use these micro computers in our toys. There is more tech in my racing quad there there was in the lunar lander!

All these students need to do is buy one of these, attach a servo to drop off the package and hack the programming to do what they need. The camera is HD, it has collision avoidance, 21 min flight time, GPS, FPV, all in a tiny package that can fit in your coat pocket, just insane.
The hardware is available at really good prices, just need to figure out the programming.

Stephan

In addition to the miniaturization pushed by the smart phone technology, I would add that the open source movement is another driving force in making that technology affordable to everyone.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on April 08, 2018, 10:57:24 PM
Quote from: Frank v B on April 08, 2018, 10:04:35 PM

Frank

It's amazing you still crash, Frank!  ;D

@sihinch ,

You now can appreciate just how talented @Frank v B really is.  In the face of even the most sophisticated technologies, Frank is always able to find away to get his planes to procreate in the back 40.  Not even remedial classes from the Great @bweaver  can stop him!  Yes, Frank is truly an inspiration to us all!!

In awe,

Andy