Flying Sunday afternoon, April 22 ?

Started by Michael, April 19, 2018, 09:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Quote from: octagon on April 23, 2018, 11:49:53 AM
It was a great day to fly, but not to have to retrieve a warwing from the mud field. It took me 1/2 an hour to get a plane that was only about 200 feet out. If I had put another one down out there it would still be there.

bweaver

Quote from: bweaver on April 23, 2018, 11:55:41 AM
It was a great day to fly, but not to have to retrieve a warwing from the mud field. It took me 1/2 an hour to get a plane that was only about 200 feet out. If I had put another one down out there it would still be there.

@octagon - You saved the most important aircraft.  I am sure you felt it was well worth it.  I am also sure that you mean, that if another type of aircraft other than a warwing went down again, you wouldn't have gone out to retrieve it...

By the way, how many pounds of mud did you bring in with you?  Did you slip and slide all the way out and back in? Was it worse out there than corn, or was it comparable?

Were you flying combat at the time, or just sport flying?

You left so many questions unanswered.  :'(

octagon

Quote from: bweaver on April 23, 2018, 12:06:41 PM
Quote from: bweaver on April 23, 2018, 11:55:41 AM

@octagon - You saved the most important aircraft.  I am sure you felt it was well worth it.  I am also sure that you mean, that if another type of aircraft other than a warwing went down again, you wouldn't have gone out to retrieve it...

By the way, how many pounds of mud did you bring in with you?  Did you slip and slide all the way out and back in? Was it worse out there than corn, or was it comparable?

Were you flying combat at the time, or just sport flying?

You left so many questions unanswered.  :'(

It was the maiden flight of the warwing that you provided for us to build in the winter. I was about 3 minutes in when frankly I was dicking around too low and nosed in. it went in like a lawn dart and was not damaged, but the mud was so heavy, and my boots were being sucked down, I eventually lost my balance and the plane was in my hand. I jabbed it into the ground to save me from falling, and snapped the fuse of the wing, and broke that tail off in 2 pieces as well as the back half of the keel. I consider it a write off and will build another I guess. Do you have any kits left?
I would think I had a least 10 pounds of mud on my boots. And talk about sticky, even when I stood in the river the crap was almost impossible to get off!
Honestly, if I had know how bad it was out there I would not have gone, I would have waited till the field dried up more.
What could possibly go wrong?