Tutorial on Warwing Repair

Started by bweaver, April 29, 2018, 02:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

First you crash the Warwing.

Then some young lad named Ethane kindly offers to retrieve it in the mud.

Then other pieces are returned for reconstruction purposes.

Photos 1 to 4 - Assess the damage.  Central area crushed.  Fastest first aid measure involves amputation.

Photos 5 to 7 - Establish cut lines and remove damage.

Photos 8 to 11 - Cut/trim and shape replacement foam for a perfect fit and in this instance to accept repaired elevon.

bweaver

Photos 1 below - Test fit pieces and epoxy in place with 5 minute epoxy.  Allow 10 minutes to cure.  (If you are Frank v B, allow 12 hours)

Photo 2 below - Filament tape top and bottom of wing as best as possible.

Photo 3 below - Carefully match the original paint job using your best $ store paint and brush.

Photos 4 to 6 below - Determine location of servo.  Install and secure as necessary.  Also replace broken clevis. Install repaired elevon with new hinge tape top and bottom of elevon.

Photos 7 and 8 below - Test repairs and attribute damage.  Revenge is resurrected. 

Notice to Simon and others - When ever you are game?

Andy Hoffer

hey @bweaver

So where are you supposed to glue on the bricks???

And who is the pretty bride in the photo on the workbench?!!   8)

Andy

sihinch

See Bruce I did you a favour! Without me this thread would never have happened!

Pretty soon your plane will be covered with "Simon"  ;D

Andy Hoffer

Hey @bweaver ,

Is there some point (e.g. number of pieces greater than XX; glue to foam ratio exceeds 10:1) at which it becomes propitious to simply rebuild a Warwing from scratch, as opposed to repairing the carnage?

Ever in pursuit of pearls of wisdom...... 8)

Andy

bweaver

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on April 30, 2018, 07:41:36 AM
Hey @bweaver ,

Is there some point (e.g. number of pieces greater than XX; glue to foam ratio exceeds 10:1) at which it becomes propitious to simply rebuild a Warwing from scratch, as opposed to repairing the carnage?

Ever in pursuit of pearls of wisdom...... 8)

Andy

@Andy Hoffer - Regarding your question about when is it propitious to simply rebuild a Warwing as apposed to repairing one?

1- In my experience, repairing is typically the fastest and easiest way to get your Warwing back into the air. (Try to recover all broken pieces, or have someone else do that for you.)
2- The glue to foam ratio in a Warwing does not matter.
3- The more glue in a Warwing, the greater its density and chances of survival, should it inadvertently run into something, or should @sihinch run into you. 
4- A repaired Warwing shows character, ingenuity, fearlessness, etc. 
5- Its usually the cheapest way. (The savings are infinite when you consider how many little pieces of repair foam you can get out of new 2 x 8 1/2 inch foam board as apposed to how many new Warwings you can get out of the same board. Also save your bigger pieces of previously flying Warwings to add to your repair kit.  Saves a trip to Lowes.)
6- One might be just too lazy to go to Lowes for more blue foam board.

There are many more reasons, but I am not going to go on...  I think you get my drift. Take your pick.  :-*

'Pearls' come from oysters. 
When you find a source for 'wisdom', please let me know.  On second thought...

'propitious' - where did you get that?