Battery Preferences

Started by SeeFernando, May 03, 2018, 09:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeeFernando

Hello everyone!

I had a great flight yesterday at Student Night, but sadly I've only got one battery for my Apprentice (3s 3200mAh).  Simon lent me a few which got me in the air a few more times.

I'd like to pick up a few more LiPo, where do y'all look for deals?

I'm thinking of just driving to Mississauga for Great Hobbies because they have an eflite 3200 for $75, but that seems pricey :(

I can ship to a US mailbox I have in Niagara, but I don't go that often so I'd prefer local or free/cheap only purchase (that ships locally).

@bweaver I believe you mentioned somewhere with good sales on batteries?
-Chris

Michael

A&J Hobby and Pinnacle Hobby probably have other brand batteries in stock at lower prices.

http://www.ajhobby.com/

http://www.pinnaclehobby.ca/

Michael

bweaver

Chris,

Don't feel rushed to immediately go out and buy more batteries for your Wednesday evening training sessions.  Like Simon did this week, I bring a number of charged spares that you or other new students could borrow during the Wednesday evening sessions.

Further, before purchasing, you may wish to think about what other type(s) of planes you are/will be flying now and in the future.  Ask yourself, "What size batteries will you likely wish to use in the future or are using now?"

For example, if you use a 3S 1800mah to 2200mah batteries for another plane now, (or plan to buy another plane that uses smaller batteries than the 3200mah you are using now in the Apprentice) it could be worthwhile buying two smaller batteries, using them connected in parallel for your Apprentice?  Be sure the two when placed and used together in parallel will fit in the battery compartment of the plane.  Often the smaller batteries are less expensive and purchasing them in this manner allows for current and future flexibility.  If you are going this way, you will also have to purchase or make yourself a parallel adapter for use with the batteries and the plane.

The only battery I have been totally disappointed with, along with the company's lack of service was a Thunder Power battery.  All the others I have bought locally and on line (with the exception of that noted below) have given reasonable performance and in my view, value for the money spent. 

When purchasing locally, bring your battery voltage tester with you and ask to check out the individual cells before purchasing. If they are not the same or really close, don't purchase the battery.

You can't do this when you are purchasing on line, so unfortunately you get what you get. 

For example, I purchased 3 inexpensive 'Zop Power' batteries through Banggood.  The first shipment got lost and the replacement shipment took months to arrive after the original order.  Further, the batteries came with individual cell voltages that ranged poorly from 3.68 to 3.80. (I would have loved to have seen each cell balancing at 3.80, 3.80, 3.80.) After Receiving these batteries I balanced them promptly before charging. Their cell counts ended up now after being charged Battery #1 4.09, 4.20, 4.07 -- Battery #2 4.11, 4.20, 4.19 and Battery #3 4.17, 4.19, 4.19.  I haven't used these yet so I don't know how they perform in the short or long term. 

I have always had excellent performance from the batteries which came with my Parkzone and EFlight PNP planes that I have purchased locally.

Keep in mind practicing good battery care in charging, balancing, not over discharging and proper storage has a lot to do with how the battery will perform over the long term.