Saturday May 4 - "Mayden Fest" and 3-cell warbird racing

Started by Michael, May 03, 2018, 10:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

We have our 2nd official event of 2018 on Saturday 5th May from 1pm.

We will have "Mayden Fest" where we encourage you to bring your new, unflown (or repaired) models for their first flights.  All of us will have an opinion on whether you built it right, put the stickers on straight and whether it will crash or not, so why not let us all enjoy your anxiety!?

We will also have warbird racing, if there is enough interest.  Reminder of the rules - it needs to be a 3S warbird.  The rest, we will make up on the day!  Hopefully this time I won't crash in to the other competitors at the end of the first lap!
Michael

sihinch

Thanks Michael.

What's the consensus from members - should we BBQ? 

Michael

I don't think we need a barbeque (I'm showing up around 2 pm), but see what others want.

I'll be bringing my new E-Flite AT6 for warbird racing, and my newly built Sig Kobra, and GeeBee Sportster, for maiden flights.

Michael

Frank v B

My advice: keep it simple.  The start is after lunch.  If people come earlier and start flying earlier then we always have the pizza or donut (an essential food group) option.  Focus on flying.

I may be late because of 3 (paying) business appointments but hope to have my Chica to maiden.
Charlie in the Corsair may have to wait.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on May 03, 2018, 10:40:41 PM
My advice: keep it simple.  The start is after lunch.  If people come earlier and start flying earlier then we always have the pizza or donut (an essential food group) option.  Focus on flying.

I may be late because of 3 (paying) business appointments but hope to have my Chica to maiden.
Charlie in the Corsair may have to wait.

Frank

@Frank v B ,

Charlie will get you for this!

Andy

bweaver

Well let the truth be told.  Mayden Fest is being held on Saturday May 5th. That is today!

I will be out this afternoon bringing my recently constructed Fairchild PT 19 and my Sopwith Triplane look-a-like to maiden.   I am also bringing out a [u]Warbird[/u] (not a Warwing) for racing.

Let's have some fun.... ;D

Michael

Turn out was terrific, but strong west/cross winds made flying quite challenging.

Nonetheless, I maidened my Kobra, and flew warbirds twice.
Michael

Andy Hoffer

A beautiful maiden flight for @bweaver's Fairchild PT-19.

Way to go Bruce!

Andy

Frank v B

What happened to Frank??
I figured it out.  Andy arranged for a huge wind storm on Friday night for two purposes:
- to give his friend Frank a week's full of emergency work
- keep him so busy that he can't show up at Mayden Fest. ;)

I was on a two storey blown roof at Woodbine and 16 and looked eastward.  I counted 21 blown roofs.  Patched 4 of them for my customers.
Andy said "Charlie will get you for this!"  He sure did!! :'(

Do you know how tough it is to drive from emergency to emergency and have the little Chica for Maydenfest in the front passenger seat continually saying "I wanna fly!"  It was not to be. :(

Bruce:

re: your PT-19.  Great looking plane and you found good-looking pilots.  Darn, another compliment. ;)

We need to talk to the photographer about the glare on the port fuse and the leading edges of the wing.  He may be going blind.  I will have business cards made up for him with "White Cane Photographers"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on May 06, 2018, 09:39:28 PM
What happened to Frank??
I figured it out.  Andy arranged for a huge wind storm on Friday night for two purposes:
- to give his friend Frank a week's full of emergency work
- keep him so busy that he can't show up at Mayden Fest. ;)

I was on a two storey blown roof at Woodbine and 16 and looked eastward.  I counted 21 blown roofs.  Patched 4 of them for my customers.
Andy said "Charlie will get you for this!"  He sure did!! :'(

Do you know how tough it is to drive from emergency to emergency and have the little Chica for Maydenfest in the front passenger seat continually saying "I wanna fly!"  It was not to be. :(

Bruce:

re: your PT-19.  Great looking plane and you found good-looking pilots.  Darn, another compliment. ;)

We need to talk to the photographer about the glare on the port fuse and the leading edges of the wing.  He may be going blind.  I will have business cards made up for him with "White Cane Photographers"

@Frank v B must have lost his glasses or been conked on the head in the wind storm.  He is hallucinating!! (http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6587.msg43199.html#msg431998)

Andy

battlestu

sorry, I missed the flight ... I was hoping to see this one go along with your tri-plane
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Frank v B

Sorry Andy,

This morning I looked at Andy's post about the photo of Bruce's plane.... and looked at the photo again and thought my criticism of the White Cane Photographer was cruel.

At noon today I knocked on Andy's door to apologize.  Andy started laughing and told me what he did.

Andy will now explain in proper English what happened and why he is probably still laughing.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Isn't Photoshop wonderful?!!!  The best part is retouching Frank's psyche! ;D

Andy

Wingnutz

Three Rogo EDF maidens yesterday to extend Mayden Fest. Wind oscillating S to SE and gusting into the 20's so about as much as my comfort level allows for maiden flights but still better than W or SW.
Freewing Avanti S 80..runway take off and landing ...success
Durafly DH 100 Vampire 70...runway take off and belly landing on grass (I chickened out with the tiny wheels) ...success
Haoye Golden Centennaires CT-114 55...unsuccessful bungee launch
Two outa three are ready for Jets Day!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!