This week's safety tips (BROUGHT BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND)

Started by bweaver, May 03, 2018, 10:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

I am starting this post/thread for the purpose of promoting personal safety and for the general safety of everyone at the field.  The subject matter will focus on two useful tips each week.  The tips will be brief and to the point.

Everyone is welcome to share their comments and experiences involving each of the subject matters based on their own experiences and knowledge. I think everyone who follows this thread regularly in the futue will benefit from the experiences of our many TEMAC Friends.

TIP #1   Respect the dangers of each aircraft's' propeller(s).
1) A loose collet will cause a prop to fly off
2) Assume the prop can start spinning anytime due to many reasons (bumping the transmitter, clothing catching on throttle, failsafe not setup properly or even ESC malfunction),
3) Always use an arming switch - mechanical and or logical (at radio and/or controller)
4) Every time you finish flying disarm the aircraft and disconnect the battery
5) Take the propeller off when setting up the radio or testing the controls in your workshop or living room.

TIP #2 Always loudly call out your intentions on the flight line.
1) Save your plane or prevent an injury by calling out loudly important points like  'Landing', 'Taking Off', 'On the Field', 'Clear', 'Low pass', 'Launching', 'Taxiing'
2) If the farthest person from you doesn't acknowledge, they likely didn't hear you.
3) Don't assume everyone on the flight line can read your mind.

Don't be afraid to share your experiences and comments pertaining to these first two tips.  Don't be afraid to try them out as well.

Two new safety tips will be forthcoming next week. 

(There nothing more enjoyable than receiving free unsolicited advice, is there?)  ;D

sihinch

This is a great idea - thanks Bruce.

On the subject of props - I've sometimes had them fly off with collet type adapters. You should always check they are tight!

Crazyflyer

Especially when Simon is flying someone else's plane who hasn't tightened the collet enough!! (I blame myself for that!!)

Another is assume that the prop can start spinning anytime in the pits due to many reasons (bumping the transmitter, failsafe not setup properly or even ESC malfunction), I have experienced all these myself!! And Eric got a dozen stitches because his ESC got a bit wet and went full power!

Quote from: sihinch on May 03, 2018, 10:42:32 AM
This is a great idea - thanks Bruce.

On the subject of props - I've sometimes had them fly off with collet type adapters. You should always check they are tight!

BJROB

Tip #1  ::) It was in the fall and a bit cool out
so I donned on my sweater.  :D
the sleeves on the sweater were a bit stretched... as I reached to plug in my battery the sleeve on my sweater caught the transmitter speed control and moved it up to half.  :'(
as I plugged in  :o  the engine revived up  :-[ the prop just nicked my arm...  ???
now I have a fail safe set up on my transmitters ;D

Tip #2  the line was full of flyers I was at the end of the line
I called out "Landing"  :D... I did not hear the call  "Taxing"  ???
to my surprise :o there was a plane on the runway taxiing  :o
I pulled up and over with a kiss  :-* to the plane under me.  8)
all was good this time. ;D
please speak in a solid voice so all can hear when on the line.   :)
specially when the line is full and lots of people around and windy  ::)   

My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Palkina

Tip 1. Always close your flight before leaving the field.

If you have an arming switch - mechanical and or logical ( at radio and/or controller) always use it. If you do not have one, program one in the radio if possible. Every time you finish your flight disarm the aircraft and disconnect the battery. !!!

At one time, during some testing of INAV, I got distracted by a request from a peer and left the plane with the battery plugged in after I finished the flight.

When I came back to attend my plane (2-4 minutes had passed), I've lost the awareness of the status of the plane. I turned off the radio and the fail-safe took over. The motor started spinning (it was a plane). Fortunately, the  programmed amount of thrust was minimal and I was able to safely (with a help) control the plane and disconnect the battery.

Never leave your aircraft with the switch armed and with the battery plugged in if you are not going to fly immediately. !!!

bweaver

Thanks for everyone's comments, experiences and suggestions addressing with the subject matter of the first two safety tips. 

I have summarized/plagiarized the comments submitted and consolidated them in bold and italics for ease of reference under each tip. http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6588.msg43185.html#msg43185  This way people can quickly review the post for the safety tips and relevant factors relating to them.

Tomorrow, two new safety tips will be added to this post.  Your input relating to these safety matters is valued and truly important. 

bweaver

Everyone will benefit by understanding and practicing these two tips.

Tip # 3: Routinely preflight 'check', 'inspect' and 'test' your aircraft to minimize risks and crashes,  as circumstances warrant.

Check means visual observation to ensure the device or system is in place and is not obviously damaged or obstructed.

Inspection means physical examination to determine that the device or system will apparently perform in accordance with its intended function.

Test means the operation of a device or system to ensure that it will perform in accordance with its intended operation or function.

(Definitions are from the Ontario Fire Code - Yes safety is practiced at places other than just at the flying field)

(Example A) After cartwheeling your aircraft while landing or taking off, don't just fly off again if aircraft miraculously lands on its wheels!  (It's surprising how many people do.)

Check your aircraft for
-apparent damage,
-proper alignment of wings, tail surfaces, landing gear, control surfaces, etc.,
-missing pieces,
-new creases or folds in foam surfaces, film-covered surfaces,
Anything that is discovered out of the ordinary during the check needs further inspection.

In addition inspect the aircraft physically before flying again.  The inspection should include;
-all control surfaces and other appendages including landing gear are secure and not loose,
-all hinges/hinging remains in tact and is functional,
-all pushrods, clevises and control horns are in place and undamaged (clevis may have a damaged pin and the control horn may have become loose and ready to fall off. Only a physical Inspection will reveal damage.)
-the battery securing mechanism remains in tact,
-the servos remain intact and are not loose.
If you have a electronic stabilizing device, ensure it remains secure where it should be.

Test all control surfaces to ensure proper functionality.  (Pushrods may have become jammed or severely restricted in their ability to move.) A ground test will identify this.

(Example B) Before flying an aircraft that seems fine since its last flight(s)

Check the voltage or battery indicator on your transmitter.
Check the aircraft for damage, hanger rash etc.  Should damage be apparent, inspect the damaged area more thoroughly.
Test the flight battery(s) to determine estimated flight duration, etc.
Range test the aircraft.
Test all control surfaces for proper functionality coordinated with the appropriate transmitter movements.

Tip # 4: Take care while conducting hand and bungee launches to minimize risks and crashes.

Adhere to TEMACs Safety Rules and Field Rules in this regard.

(Example A) Hand launching or maidening a new aircraft.

Preflight check, inspect and test all components as necessary before bringing the aircraft to the field. 
At the field the conduct necessary flight station checks inspections and tests.
Check to ensure others present at the field are safe.  Consider having the new plane fly alone, thus giving everyone the opportunity to watch and if necessary take evasive action.
Check the wind direction.  Be prepared to compensate for a cross wind if the hand launch is not being made directly into the wind.
Discuss with with the hand-launcher what the expectations are for the hand launch.

Note to anyone wishing to contribute to this post – Your contributions are important.  If you are self conscious about an incident and wish to remain anonymous, send me a personal message through the forum containing your safety related specifics. I will anonymously post your submission on your behalf and never reveal the source.  (I promise) Please be advised that I may do some minor editing were I feel it is necessary for clarity purposes. 

bweaver

Dear Bruce

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to get these incidents off my chest.  I know I couldn't do it without the anonymity you are offering.  I know I can trust you in this regard, I think.

I am afraid to identify myself in this post for fear that I might loose the respect from my TEMAC peers and friends.  I know they revere my flying, building and aircraft repair skills and hold me in high esteem for my apparent abilities to fly model aircraft routinely without apparent incident.   I know for a fact that members of the club would look at me differently, if I were to make this nature under my name.

My first incident/crash resulted from my failure to TEST the functionality of my control surfaces before taking off for the first time that fateful day.  To be concise, there was more than one control surface that was reversed.  If only I had conducted that simple TEST before taking off.  I really did like that plane.  No, I couldn't fly it  with two control surfaces reversed.

In my second incident, (which was not my fault), I was hand launching someone else's plane.  I was nearly hurt doing so, because I had to promptly retreat after the hand launch, as the plane quickly careened back at me after I released it.  It wasn't until after hand launching it a second time and luckily escaping injury again, that it was realized that the motor was running in reverse.  I truly believe that the person who owned this plane should have made this post.  This was another incident where clearly failure to TEST the airplanes throttle before offering the plane to me to hand launch contributed to these incidents.

Thanks for allowing me to share these important messages relating to safety that I would have otherwise liked to keep to myself.

Yours truly, 

Anonymous

bweaver

Regarding the anonymous post I made on your behalf above, while other club members will still look at you the same way, I sure won't.  But trust me I will never reveal your identity. 

Palkina

I have to admit flying my apprentice after changing the radio receiver with reversed ailerons. I noticed the error after taking off, I was able to control the plane for a time enough to bring it back to the landing field, but the weird condition prevailed and I crashed, not too bad but it was a crash.

After that event, I searched for a rule that allowed me to remember without difficulty, how to check the control surfaces without making abstractions about the physics of how the control surface affects the plane. I found the Rule of Five, easy to remember and nicely explained here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf74geZyKYk

bweaver

Thanks for reporting the incident you experienced @Palkina .  I know for a fact there have been many more club members who have experienced incidents just like this.

And now words of advice from our technical adviser @Oscar that sent me this morning.  He hasn't asked for anonymity, so none is offered.  But there's nothing in what he sent me that would be embarrassing, just helpful for those owning a Sprectrum DXe transmitter. 

Thanks Oscar.  I have inserted your guidance in its entirety below.

Range Test

Before each flying session, and especially with a new model, you should perform a range check. The DXe incorporates a range testing system. Placing the transmitter in RANGE CHECK mode reduces the output power, allowing a range check.

1. Power on the transmitter for 5 seconds or more with the throttle stick and trim low. Plug in the aircraft battery and keep the aircraft immobile for 5 seconds.

2. Face the model with the transmitter in your normal flying position. Toggle the HI/LO Rate switch four times then press and hold the BIND/Panic button. The LED's will flash and the alarm will sound. The system is in range check mode.
IMPORTANT: You must hold the BIND/Panic button during the entire range check process. Releasing the button will exit the range check mode.

3. With the system powered on and the model restrained on the ground*, stand 28 meters (90 feet) away from the model.

4. Move the transmitter rudder, elevator, aileron, and throttle controls to ensure they operate smoothly at 28 meters (90 feet).

5. If control issues exist, do not attempt to fly. Refer to the contact table at the end of this manual to contact Horizon Hobby product support. Also, see the Spektrum website for more information.

bweaver

Failure to pre-flight 'check' that my CS Switch was in the 'ACTIVATED' mode before trying to fly a few new maneuvers with my relatively new Fairchild PT 19, resulted in this crash (refer to photo below). 

I usually take more care to ensure this switch is not in the 'INHIBIT' mode before flying.

The plane is repairable; but in hindsight, had the CS Switch been taken out of the 'INHIBIT' mode, this outcome could have been different. 

(Safety First.  Live and learn.  One of the most important switches to engage.)

sihinch

piker

Same.  What's a CS Switch?  Do I have one of those?

bweaver

@sihinch  and @piker, you asked what is the CS Switch, or do you have one? Everyone has a CS Switch when flying. 

When your CS Switch is in the 'INHIBIT' mode you will be flying your plane in the Completely Stupid mode.  When your CS Switch is 'ACTIVATED', you are flying in the Common Sense mode. 

Considering the circumstances of this crash, had my CS Switch been 'ACTIVATED', I would have only attempted this flight maneuver at a minimum of 3, probably 4 mistakes high, rather than just the two, I was flying at, because I was not yet fully familiar with the flight characteristics of this new aircraft. 

Let me explain what happened.  After coming out of a poorly performed loop (an otherwise simple stunt), First Mistake: I increased the throttle significantly and the plane lurched over into a rapid left-hand spin. Second mistake: While reducing the throttle I tried to recover from the spin using ailerons only to correct it.  Third Mistake: Now I promptly applied right rudder.  The left-handed spin slowed quickly and the plane went into a right-handed spin after a slight recovery.  There was no opportunity to try anything further.

Shortly after the plane hit the ground, my CS Switch started to auto-default into the 'ACTIVATED' mode. (Too late for the plane.) This has subsequently allowed me to reflect and explain to others and to myself, what happened.