This week's safety tips (BROUGHT BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND)

Started by bweaver, May 03, 2018, 10:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazyflyer

Ahh, now things get cleared up. I didn't know it was even possible to switch the 'INHIBIT' mode off!!
I will have to try that next time  ;D

bweaver

Refer to updates to Rules #3 and #4 at http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6588.msg43229.html#msg43229

Tomorrow, two new safety tips will appear under this topic.

Andy Hoffer

Hi @bweaver ,

I am SO very sorry to hear of this mishap.  Wishing you and your beautiful PT-19 a full and speedy recovery.  Is it only a nose-job as appears in your photo?  Wings and fuse othewise OK?

Sincerely,

Andy Hoffer

bweaver

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on May 18, 2018, 02:31:03 PM
Hi @bweaver ,

I am SO very sorry to hear of this mishap.  Wishing you and your beautiful PT-19 a full and speedy recovery.  Is it only a nose-job as appears in your photo?  Wings and fuse othewise OK?

Sincerely,

Andy Hoffer

Thanks Andy,  I am sure that it will fully recover to fly again.  Repairs will be made as time permits.  There is some internal fuselage but the wing looks good.  I will know for sure once I place on my priority list.

bweaver

Tip #5: Respect all flight lines for the most obvious reasons. (Refer to the photos below.)

Tip #6: Tables are for assembly only. Do not start motors, with propellers installed, on the tables. Properly restrain the model on the ground. (I couldn't paraphrase this TEMAC rule any better than the way it is written.)

bweaver

This is another safety tip from @Oscar  that is most fitting respecting Tips #6 and #1 .  I have inserted below a copy of sent a personal message he sent me.

Hello Bruce,

I thought this is another good safety tip for others.  Always do pre-flight check before flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=32&v=xgCqKN8xjM4

I am lucky that I did a pre-flight check prior my flight.  When I throttle over 65%, the motor starts failing.

Cheers,
Oscar

Thanks again for another valuable contribution to this topic Oscar. 

I would like to add that your video highlights one of the correct ways people could test-run their model's motor(s) with the airplane well restrained from potentially lurching forward. 

Testing the throttle on a worktable is asking for trouble.

bweaver

"DO AS I SAY!   NOT AS I DO!"

I failed to comply with Tip #3. Yes, the other day and today my CS Switch was left in INHIBIT mode.

Let me explain...  This morning I was challenged by Vic, Athol and Jim to fly a round of combat. Unfortunately I new that my Warwing was slightly damaged in the motor mount vicinity, due to an incident the other day, where I planted it into the South taxi way during an unsuccessful hand launch. 

I new there was damage to the front end, because as I was walking back shamefully to the assembly table the other day, I was inspecting the motor mount area noticing that the prop was broken and there was a crack identified in the foam, when I exerted some pressure in the area, to find if there was unforeseen damage.  (Anyways to my benefit at the time, my competitors couldn't observe this walk of shame, because their hand launches were successful and they were still flying. Ahhhh! #$@%%$)

Well, after discovering this front end damage, I promptly dropped the Warwing on the assembly table so that I could divert my attention to watch the combat challenge continuing to occur without my further participation. 

Anyways, that brings us back to this morning; when I received the Morning Crew's combat challenge. 

When I explained to them that my Warwing was damaged, Andy C. (commonly referred to as the Vice) kindly offered to help me repair the damage with five minute epoxy. The repairs were promptly made in just over 5 minutes (did you get that @Frank v B?).  The ribbons were attached and we were well into the challenge when unceremoniously, I was unable to pull out fast enough from a dive as my Warwing hurtled into the ground.  (By the way it looks like the farmer has planted beans.) 

While once again shamefully walking back to the assembly table, carrying with both hands the pieces of my Warwing; I was checking out the likely cause of the crash.  (If one of my hands were free, I could have been scratching my head to demonstrate to the others watching me that I was trying to determine the cause of the crash.) Why would it not pull out in time before hitting the ground?

As usually happens after a crash, my CS Switch started defaulting into ACTIVATE mode)   I visually checked the elevons and servos observing that everything appeared in tact including pushrods, control horns, linkages etc.  However as I physically inspected the elevons by flexing them, sure enough, there obviously was the cause of the crash.  One of the elevon servos, originally secured to the wing with a generous quantity of hot glue was loose in its saddle.  This loose servo would move when the servo was retracted to raise the elevon. Thus little to no movement of the elevon would occur when it was needed. Simply put, the servo would move but the elevon wouldn't.  The hot glue must have given way in the original incident occurring the other day. Duh... Stupid me.

So what did I learn? (1)  I failed to thoroughly inspect my plane after the initial crash the other day and also failed to thoroughly inspect it today before taking off for this latest challenge, and (2) I have had hot glue failures before. CS Switch issue again.

Will I learn now?  Time will tell.

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: your quote "Duh... Stupid me"

Yep! ;D

Frank

ps: are you trying to teach us what to do... or what not to do? ;)
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

@Frank v B - Re your comment "ps: are you trying to teach us what to do... or what not to do? ;)"

Very good point Frank. In your case I really don't know?   :-* 

In my experience in trying to encourage safety, awareness of risks, good behaviors, bad behaviors and behaviors like yours and mine is very important to enhancing the learning experiences of others. 

Also as I understand it, there is a common phenomena that many people believe it won't happen to them. It only happens to other people.[/b] Giving this view more thought; for example, if people were to think of themselves individually as being only one in 7 billion people -- then realistically as individuals we really make up the group of 'other people'[/i]. 

So yes, understand that things (good or bad) may happen to us. 

Regardless of what topic or circumstance I use to get the risk factors across to people involved in this hobby, it all just comes down to awareness... 

How one uses or applies this awareness, is up to them.  Personally, I hope it promotes good behaviors, because that way it will ultimately make it safer for everyone.

This leads to

Tip # 7: Manage your lipo batteries safely.

Tip # 8: Fly FPV safely.

sihinch

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: your PT 19 "The plane is repairable; but in hindsight....."

To quote Monty Python  "merely a flesh wound" ;D ;D

Frank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAW6D21ICdg

"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Regarding @sihinch Simon's comment "Lipos. They will kill you!"

A lipo battery could kill you, but with a little awareness, we could prevent that from happening to a TEMAC member (I hope).

For example, if a lipo battery (especially a big one) is not well secured in an aircraft, it could fall out and hit someone and hurt or kill them.  This could happen if the aircraft is flying over the flight line or to a person who is recovering an aircraft from out in the field. (It could happen.)

So what do we know for sure?

1)Really, lipo batteries can be very dangerous, causing serious fires in circumstances where people fail to adhere to the manufacturers instructions when charging, or discharging their batteries.  TEMAC is a club of about 100 members.  2 of our members have experienced house fires resulting from charging/discharging a lipo battery.  I also know of another club member who experienced a lipo battery fire occurring in his garage.  In this instance the fire was promptly extinguished and no damage resulted.  (3% odds in this situation unfortunately resulting in better odds than playing the lottery.)
Don't gamble with your home and family safety.
2) Don't leave batteries unattended when charging or discharging.  If you can't or don't do this, make sure your insurance is up to date and/or charge your batteries out side or in a bunker, or something like that.
3) Place a potentially damaged battery in safe place and monitor it for at least 15 minutes after it has experienced a crash.  (I personally have seen 3 fires resulting from crashes.)
4) While charging or discharging your batteries at the field do this in a safe place, not in your car.
5) Don't let a lipo battery short out on your wedding ring, nose ring or any other ring you may be wearing.  (It really can happen and hurt, can't it Simon?)

@Frank v B - thanks for the Monty Pithon clip.  One's determination of the extent of a 'flesh-wound" is truly subjective.

sihinch

Ouch. Yes - a lipo short circuit across a wedding ring does hurt. I could never claim not to have been married at some point!

(For the record, I am happily married and do not have any intention to change that.)  ;D

bweaver

I have only two more tips for TEMAC members to consider.  They are quite simple, but keep in mind what the club motto is: 

"Have fun, be safe, be courteous."

Tip # 9 - I am TEMAC's current Chief Flying Instructor.  I am not the 'safety police'. 

While at the field, please don't expect me to resolve safety matters you have observed involving another TEMAC club member, or a guest. (Unless of course it is me personally, who is responsible for the circumstances involving the safety concern you have.) 

Believe me, I am not perfect.  Please feel free to discuss with me circumstances where you see me posing a risk to myself or to others.  I want to be safe and I don't wish to cause any grief or injury to others.

Tip # 10 - Be responsible for your own safety and help to make the environment safe for those at TEMAC.

Please practice personal safety for your sake and for the sake of your family.  Many practices within this hobby can have serious consequences if not managed properly.  Hobbies are supposed to be fun, not dangerous. Make the most fun out of your hobby, but do it safely.

Please be aware and observant of safety matters and rule infractions that can negatively impact members and guests at the field and to our neighbors around the field. 

Finally, when you observe serious unsafe practices, please approach the individual(s) responsible in a courteous manner to discuss it.  Be tactful, (unlike me). 

Respect your TEMAC friends and help to ensure everyone's safety, but don't forget to have fun and be courteous. We are all friends in this club.  If you happen to be approached about a concern, consider the rationale behind the subject matter. The concern is being brought to your attention for safety's sake.  Let's maintain our civility and our friendships.

Thanks for contributing and following.

Bruce (TEMAC's current CFI)

bweaver

I have brought this Forum topic back into circulation at this time for instructional purposes, to help new students and other TEMAC members understand that flight and field safety is everyone's responsibility.

Thanks for those of you for taking the time to review the entire contents of this post, as your time permits.  As you will see as you read the subject matter in this post, no one is infallible (even me as the prime example).

Remember what Smokey the bear used to say, "Only you can prevent forest fires".