Sun. June 3 Pylon races- Orangeville

Started by Frank v B, May 31, 2018, 11:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

OK team TEMAC.  We need to wake up the troops in Orangeville for this weekend's races.

Ken was kind enough to warn us that our usual coffee shop is closed so we will meet at the Tim's at Highway 27 just south of Hiway 9.  It is on the west side of Hiway 27.

Google maps https://www.google.com/maps/place/17250+Hwy+27,+Schomberg,+ON+L0G+1T0/@44.0063655,-79.6899737,15.24z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x882ade9c268eda7b:0xa4d0dda1d71be2c4!8m2!3d44.0045756!4d-79.6781363

I will be there by about 8:15 and we should think about leaving for Orangeville at about 8:45 in our usual convoy.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

VadimKirillov

Hi Frank. Can you please post the location of the field in orangevile?

sihinch

Here you go Vadim, this is the best I can do....

Polecat

Quote from: sihinch on June 02, 2018, 09:50:49 PM
Here you go Vadim, this is the best I can do....

Thanks for posting Simon.

Ken

VadimKirillov

Frank v B

We went, we conquered!!!  Temac was represented by Michael, Glenn, Simon and yours truly.  Nine racers in total.

We still had some issues with gravity and terra very firma.  Great racing.  Good friends.  Great hospitality.  Great insults.

We each raced four races but not without issues. 
- In my first race, I nosed over and broke a prop.  Go fix.
- Simon went off course on take-off and planted his in the tall grass.  Ripped out the landing gear.
- Rick couldn't handle his bucking bronco when he accidentally took off at high rates and destroyed his racer. He went to his back-up.  I know
   how this feels.  Last year I destroyed my Pogo 1 the same way.
- Dave Ford took off and flipped his plane and broke a prop and dirtied the nose.
- Michael stripped his landing gear on landing and re-built it with Glenn's help during a break in the action.

These racers weigh 3 lbs, 48" span, run on a racing 25 (1250 KV), 4 cells, 800 watts! an 8x8 APC prop and all areas (rudder, fin, aileron, etc.) are marginal.  What is manageable at take-off becomes tough to handle at 150 kmh!!!  10 laps in less than 90 seconds.

Thanks to Ken and the boys for their hospitality and the people who showed up just to be course workers so we could have all the fun.

Frank

Frank v B

Some more photos including the TEMAC team shot.

Andy Hoffer

So let me see if I understand this:

4 races at 90 seconds each = 360 seconds = 6 minutes of flying time per person.

5 casualties in 36 races (9 racers x 4 races each) = 14% casualty rate (or a 1 in 7 chance), (maybe more for @Frank v B )!

Travel time to and from Orangeville, say from TEMAC field = approximately 1 hr each way = 2 hrs.

So the return on investment = 6 minutes flying per 120 minutes driving time = 5%, plus crashes, repairs and expletives.

I gotta get me one of these!! ;D

Andy

sihinch

It's actually more like 2hrs each way!  ;)

But it's worth it!!!  ;D

Michael

I finished all 4 races (I was by far the slowest racer), and a big thanks to Glenn and Frank who helped me make a repair between races.

Michael

Michael

Another photo from Simon.

We don't have the race results yet, but one of us will post them as soon as we get them.

Michael

Frank v B

Andy,

re: "So the return on investment = 6 minutes flying per 120 minutes driving time = 5%, plus crashes, repairs and expletives.

I gotta get me one of these!! ;D
"

Andy,

Two thoughts to put your comment in perspective:

1) Only you could get better value out of an EF-1 experience because of your lack of speed and flying the course so inaccurately.  You could get triple the value of that any of us got today. :)

2) - Summer Olympics- a guy runs the 100 meter race and does not make the cut at 7.5 seconds.  Travel time- days! Training time-years! return on investment- bragging rights that he was there even though he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars per second.  Only four of us can brag about our EF-1 accomplishments!  We got you beat. ;D

Your buddy,

Frank

Polecat

Hi Guys
A great day of racing and fun times, thanks for coming up to Orangeville, you guys are all getting better at flying the course. I have been watching all the heats and the times are coming down.
I will post the race results tomorrow, going off to bed this old guys is pretty pooched.

Ken

Michael

Actually, I was there today by the grace of Andy.

We both wanted to buy the plane I flew today, but Andy graciously let me buy it, as long as I promised that I would fly in the race.

Whatever my achievement was today, I share it with Andy!

Michael

Polecat

Andy needs a E F 1 airplane, he will liten up the races. I could do the racing matix so that Frank and Andy are racing a couple of round.