Frank's 1/2 A Corsair maiden

Started by Frank v B, June 10, 2018, 04:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Got it done today but not without kicking and screaming.  Had to overcome major twists in the wing.

take-off 1- ditched in a left turn.  Full right aileron and rudder could not overcome it.  Broke the fin.  Used 5 minute epoxy and let it cure for... 15 minutes.
take-off 2- motor would not work- one of the 3 motor wires came undone.
take-off 3- wheel came off on take-off and spun left again.

So now we got smart
- take-off 4 successful.  Decided to give full throttle, mostly up elevator and right aileron correction and it jumped in the air.  Could not get it to fly "hands-off" but lots of power, lots of control and very flyable.
- flew about 5 circuits and landed.  No problem.

Some photos.  The last photo (1831) shows the amount of "right" trim needed of level flight.

Thanks to Graham for the help and the in-air shots and Rick for staying away from my erratic flight pattern while Apprenticing.

Andy, Charlie asked for an airsickness bag after the first flight.

Frank ;D ;D ;D

"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Re: "So now we got smart
- take-off 4 successful."

Can this be interpreted to mean that someone else took controls and flew it on your behalf?  Just a point needs clarification. 

Further, considering the problems and trim adjustments that were required for flight; please insert a picture of the Corsair over photo 1436 to help you assess any obvious alignment issues.  http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6445.msg42470.html#msg42470

What an eye @Frank v B.

Glad to hear that it flew. 

Frank v B

Mr. Weaver,

There is no misalignment... (other than by you).  The issue is a warp in the wing which could not be measured or straightened during construction... because of the one piece gull-wing.

Sorry to wake you from your deep afternoon nap. ;)

Frank

Bruce, please refer back to page 2 of the build thread where I said:

Today's topic:
How to straighten a crooked wing
How to make symmetrical mistakes.. but not those ones! ;D

Took out all the pins from the leading and trailing edges and guess what? a Crooked wing.... about 1/2" of wash-in.  Dangerous, unflyable.

Pinned the root of the wingtip section to the building board via a rubber band.  Used scrap trailing edge balsa to prop up the leading and trailing edge so root is at zero/zero.  Then propped up the trailing edge at the wing tip with a scrap piece of trailing edge balsa to give it about 1/4" wash-out (trailing edge higher than leading edge).  A total shift of about 3/4".  Cut and trimmed the top leading edge sheeting and glued it in place.  Held by the two rubber bands at the ends and pins in the middle.  When this dries, the wing should at least be straight.  Then I will install the bottom leading edge sheeting and pin it to the board again while it dries.

Whatever the result of this wing straightening, I will duplicate it on the other wing half.  At the covering stage I will be able to give it some more was-out by twisting the wing while it cools.

By the time I flew, the warp was worse than I first thought.  Still no way to build this wing straight... unless you are lucky.

bweaver

Re: "Mr. Weaver,

There is no misalignment... (other than by you)."

Ouch!  :(

Frank v B

Bruce,

Cha has sure grown up since the last time I saw your greeter extraordinaire. ;D

Frank

Frank v B

Remember this Corsair kit was given to me by a customer who had had the kit in his basement for over 20 years.  I forwarded him some photos and a link to this build Forum thread.  His reply:

Glad to see you succeeded.
Perseverance pays off.
Congratulations!
I will try to join you in time to see
your expertise.

Andy, see how I fooled him into thinking I have "expertise". ;D ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on June 11, 2018, 08:51:15 PM
Remember this Corsair kit was given to me by a customer who had had the kit in his basement for over 20 years.  I forwarded him some photos and a link to this build Forum thread.  His reply:

Glad to see you succeeded.
Perseverance pays off.
Congratulations!
I will try to join you in time to see
your expertise.

Andy, see how I fooled him into thinking I have "expertise". ;D ;D

Frank

Hi @Frank v B

A truly brilliant ruse.  He will never bother you again!!   ;D

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

Two things:
- funny priceless comment!
- What were you doing up at 3:06:12 am????

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on June 12, 2018, 04:30:25 PM
Andy,

Two things:
1. - funny priceless comment!
2. - What were you doing up at 3:06:12 am????

Frank

1.  Glad you enjoyed the comment.

2.  I was trolling the Forum for FVB vulnerabilities - and building my new BW Warwings kit!!!   8)

Andy

Andy Hoffer

@bweaver and I are very pleased to report the successful completion of the "Charlie Mk II" project.  We endeavoured to think outside the cockpit for maximum realism.  As I have said many times, Bruce really is way more than just a pretty face, as evidenced here.  He recognized the inherent potential of @Frank v B 's Mk I and took it to a whole new level.  Disney Pixar has approached us to do a sequel for "Planes", starring Bruce and Frank in the lead roles.  We can't wait to see them on the big screen!

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

You know the Corsair flown by the guy without the moustache flies better! ;)

The plane flown by the moustachioed pilot has a tendency to Weave all over the place but he calls out his landing properly... all three of them.  We call them bounces.

Frank