Flight instruction Wed. June 13

Started by Frank v B, June 12, 2018, 04:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

The weather forecast looks very sketchy for tomorrow.  It calls for rain 2-4 pm. 

The official go/no go decision will be made by his highness Bruceness.  ;)  Bruce will probably be consulting with Andy, our weather prognosticator while he does the official reading of the spilled Alphabet soup.  His last attempt was.........

"TAF CYKZ 031738Z 0318/0406 11008KT 1SM OVC003 TEMPO 0318/0321 OVC004
FM032100 10010KT 0.5SM -SHRA BR BKN001 OVC002 TEMPO 0321/0403 1SM
-SHRA BR SCT001 OVC002
BECMG 0401/0403 23006KT
FM040300 25008KT 1SM BKN002"

I will be there regardless of the forecast, even if Bruce has to cancel.  If it is dry, I will be at Rogo field.  If it is pouring, I will be at Tim's Woodbine dreaming of flying circuits in the coffee shop listening to CCR's "Have you ever seen the rain?" and then doing something about it by playing "Who'll stop the rain" ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4flAZEgtjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIPan-rEQJA

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Well there goes our Deputy CFI taking on a challenge.

The forecast is showing clearing skies, however there are severe winds from the West gusting up into the high 50s and low 60s.  (See screen grab below)

Hopefully the forecast will change, but we won't know until tomorrow.  I will put out a post sometime in the morning, however if you are an optimist and wish to try it out, Frank says he will be there.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks,
Bruce

Frank v B

Bruce:

re: "Well there goes our Deputy CFI taking on a challenge".

Bruce is soooo polite.  He really wanted to use a Trumpism like "here goes our Deputy CFI with a screw loose again.".

Remember that learning to fly in heavy winds makes you a good pilot very fast.  It also makes you appreciate windless days. :)  Flying on a rainy day is just plain stupid. 

I walk a very fine line. ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on June 12, 2018, 04:37:01 PM
The weather forecast looks very sketchy for tomorrow.  It calls for rain 2-4 pm. 

The official go/no go decision will be made by his highness Bruceness.  ;)  Bruce will probably be consulting with Andy, our weather prognosticator while he does the official reading of the spilled Alphabet soup.  His last attempt was.........

"TAF CYKZ 031738Z 0318/0406 11008KT 1SM OVC003 TEMPO 0318/0321 OVC004
FM032100 10010KT 0.5SM -SHRA BR BKN001 OVC002 TEMPO 0321/0403 1SM
-SHRA BR SCT001 OVC002
BECMG 0401/0403 23006KT
FM040300 25008KT 1SM BKN002"

I will be there regardless of the forecast, even if Bruce has to cancel.  If it is dry, I will be at Rogo field.  If it is pouring, I will be at Tim's Woodbine dreaming of flying circuits in the coffee shop listening to CCR's "Have you ever seen the rain?" and then doing something about it by playing "Who'll stop the rain" ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4flAZEgtjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIPan-rEQJA

Frank

Can you believe it @bweaver ?!! @Frank v B actually has great taste in music.  How am I supposed to get any sleep with these tunes bouncing around in my head.  Oh well, I guess I will go down the basement and test the avionics on my newly minted Warwing, a.k.a. "The Bruce Goose".   8)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

Better the Bruce Goose than the Weaver Beaver. ;D

Frank

bweaver

It's official.  The winds still look very severe for a flying instruction evening, however the Deputy CFI and I will be out at the field this evening.  @Frank v B is going to demonstrate how to fly in the wind.  How to fly in severe turbulence and just how to fly using his own airplane when conditions are really unreasonably rough.

My philosophy about student flight instruction includes a 'save the plane' approach to learning.  I wish to avoid any student's plane from being damaged, so at any time in our flight training program if student doesn't feel comfortable doing something - don't do it. Advise your instructor about your apprehension and jointly take steps to overcome the barrier.

For students wishing to attend tonight, if conditions are too challenging to fly, we will have a ground school evening.  If we are grounded, I propose we discuss student successes and challenges you have experienced up to this point. This sharing will be helpful for both students and instructors. We can also discuss various RC flying practices many people use when they fly. 

I look forward to seeing those of you who come out tonight.  It won't be a waste of time and I know Frank can be entertaining...

Let's not be discouraged by what Mother Nature throws at us, but hope for the best, (for Frank's sake) and plan for an alternative learning experience.

Andy Hoffer

Folks are in for a real treat as @Frank v B demonstrates his VTOL (vertical takeoff and landing) technique at a TAS (true air speed) of 20 gusting 30 knots (35 gusting 53 kmh) with a safety tether on the end of his 72 MHz antenna.  What could possibly go wrong? 

@bweaver is so right:

It won't be a waste of time and I too know that the tag team of Mother Nature and Father Frank will be entertaining!!

There is nothing quite like an alternative learning experience, especially with someone else's plane!!  Make sure to charge your camera batteries!  8)

Andy

sihinch

I plan on being there, too. I want to help abuse Frank!

Bill B

Hi Everyone, the Ryerson group won't be able to make it to the field this evening. Have fun!

Bill

gmcnic

Just had a tstorm with pea size hale blow through. Suddenly cleared up and sun is shining once again.

Frank v B

Well that was a treat.  Bruce, Athol, Greg H., Cadez, Simon, Graham, Richard were ready and waiting when Paul and Fabrice pulled up, said "Hello" and "we ain't flying"

Only an idiot would have flown tonight. 8)

I flew tonight.   :P

E-Flite 68" span Beaver (.25 on 3 cells).  When I lowered the flaps and spun the prop to stop it from being pushed backward by the wind, it actually broke ground... while moving backwards.  The plane probably covered more vertical distance than horizontal distance as it blew up 20', then dove 25', then almost blew over on its belly at full throttle at 50' altitude.  The landing was luckily fine (timed the sine wave properly) until it touched down and was blown over backwards.  Only the top counterbalance of the rudder was broken.  A 5 minute repair with 5 minute epoxy.

Yes Andy.... control via 72 meg 8 track. ;D ;D

Phew. ::)

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Please, please, please tell me that someone got a video of @Frank v B 's flight tonight!   8)

Andy

BJROB

Andy you should have been there.
after the take off and all of us OOOoing and Ahhhing the plane blew down the field across the soybeans to the southeast corner almost to the trees (tossing and turning all the way) we all thought it was a goner. Frank fought it back to the field and after a couple of circuits, sometimes dropping 20-30 feet then lifting back again Frank brought the plane down. Then mother flipped it on its back...
She is still the boss...   
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

bweaver

Pre-flight and post-flight photos of the entertaining event only.

Sorry, no video on my part.  If you wish to experience the entertaining moment,
(1) find any still image of flying airplane on your lap top,
(2) look closely at the image,
(3) while still looking closely at the image, pick up the lap top and shake it like your erasing an Etch A Sketch. 

That should about do it.   ;D

Andy Hoffer

Yup!  Nothing like a big juicy high-lift wing in a turbulent energetic atmosphere!!

"Fearless Frankie" is truly an inspiration to us all!

Way to go @Frank v B !

Andy