CANADIAN CUB FUN DAY is Today! Get out your plane(s) and fly!

Started by bweaver, June 21, 2018, 08:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

This post is a reminder, there are only 10 more days (including July 1st) to get your model plane(s) ready for a wonderful fun day of enjoying your friends and flying at Rogo Field, in celebration of Canada Day, Canadian Heritage Aircraft and the iconic Piper Cub. 

Here's what I have done to get ready...

I have taken my Sig Clipped Wing Cub down from the garage rafters, dusted off the wings and fuselage.  Even used a damp cloth to get more shine. Now onto my check, inspect and test routine of its structure and systems, readying it for the day (TEMAC's Canadian Cub day, being held on Sunday July 1st)

I also have a number of other aircraft I will be readying and bringing out to celebrate the day, passing them off as hybrid Cubs, or alternatively Canadian Heritage Aircraft. 

Here's what's been planned for your enjoyment so far.

In line with the traditions of a Canada Day celebration, plan to arrive sometime in the morning if you wish to have a full day at the field. (Also to get parking) Otherwise you have permission to arrive later, only in circumstances where you find this absolutely necessary. 

Here's the clincher though.  I have arbitrarily decided, that consistent with this being a National Holiday, no one should work in any way this day at Rogo field.  So our regular crew of BBQ volunteers will have the day off to fully enjoy the fun and flying with the rest of us.   

This means – Pack and bring your own picnic basket, containing your lunch, snacks and refreshments, enough for you and any guests you might be bringing along.  Especially remember to bring lots of fluids, shade and sunscreen because the day is going to be sunny and hot. (It is supposed to be.)

More information about this day of fun and flying will be posted as the count down continues. 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10 ....

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: "More information about this day of fun and flying will be posted as the count down continues. 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10 ...."

Kate is obviously coaching you on the count-down on any number greater than 10 (two hands) ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Quote from: Frank v B on June 21, 2018, 09:40:36 PM
Bruce,

re: "More information about this day of fun and flying will be posted as the count down continues. 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10 ...."

Kate is obviously coaching you on the count-down on any number greater than 10 (two hands) ;D

Frank

@Frank v B -  Kate doesn't have to pitch in in the summer as long as I wear my sandals and still have all my toes.

Frank v B

Frank v B

Bruce,

re:"Kate doesn't have to pitch in in the summer as long as I wear my sandals and still have all my toes."

What you are really telling us that in the summer you can count to 20, but on a cold winter's day you can only count to 4. Good to know for the next Club auction during the Pilots Meeting when you have to count out money. ;D

Frank

bweaver

Yes that's right, we are down to only 7 days, or one week to go. (That's the same thing @Frank v B )

The daylight hours are starting to get shorter now, so don't miss out on this opportunity to meet and fly with your friends.

I hope everyone has their Cub or Canadian Heritage Airplane primed, pre-maidened and ready to go.

There is going to be lots of time for flying and having fun.  Similar to last year, we will be having a Cub Challenge, for those who wish to participate. 

BIG IMPROVEMENT #1 This year's Cub Challenge event will have a few modifications within the challenges.  The limbo event will be significantly modified to minimize conflicts with those dreadful limbo poles and I have found a way on how to deal with orientation issues, some were experiencing. 

REMINDER Last year, there was only a prize for 'first place'.  The prize was potentially worth millions of dollars.  Rob Dickinson made off with the first place prize resulting from Rob demonstrating his luck and skills in winning the Cub challenge.  Unfortunately, his luck didn't carry on further for the big draw.

BIG IMPROVEMENT #2 This year there will be First, Second and Third-place prizes for the 3 most skillful/lucky competitors in the event. Comprehensive details of the event parameters will be published here in this post on the Forum for those who wish to practice, plan ahead, or think of ways to cheat, before they have to take to the air. 

BIG IMPROVEMENT #3 There will also be other great prizes for other competencies demonstrated by skillful, or not-so-skillful TEMAC members attending/participating throughout the day. 

Plan to be there, or be square.

7, 6, 5...

sihinch

Oh wow, with all those improvements how could anyone miss this event?

I'm so in!

bweaver

Re: BIG IMPROVEMENT #2 This year there will be First, Second and Third-place prizes for the 3 most skillful/lucky competitors in the event. Comprehensive details of the event parameters will be published here in this post on the Forum for those who wish to practice, plan ahead, or think of ways to cheat, before they have to take to the air. 

All right already.  I am truly sorry... My phone, me inbox and my PMs have not been so active in a long time.  I never meant to imply that there are many ..... in TEMAC, when I made the statement above.  I know for a fact there are a few, but I guess I touched a nerve.  Let me rephrase this statement in a more politically correct manner so as not to offend...

BIG IMPROVEMENT #2 This year there will be First, Second and Third-place prizes for the 3 most skillful/lucky competitors in the event. Comprehensive details of the event parameters will be published here in this post on the Forum for those who wish to practice, plan ahead, or think of ways to cheat or have a competitive advantage over others, before they have to take to the air.

I hope this makes you feel better, and I know now who to watch closely, because like last year, I AM THE JUDGE AND MY DECISION WILL BE FINAL! 

sihinch

What does it say about the members who were not offended about the implication they cheat!? I mean plan ahead with competitive spirit, sorry!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Andy Hoffer

Hey @bweaver

I think you had it right the first time.  I liked "cheat" better!  It was far more entertaining.   ;D

Andy

bweaver

Regarding my statement above: "I hope this makes you feel better...  I AM THE JUDGE AND MY DECISION WILL BE FINAL!" http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6650.msg43725.html#msg43725

I cannot get over the whiners in this Club. Once again I get calls in the middle of the night, many emails and the odd PM from TEMAC Members who wish to remain anonymous.   Now the whiners are complaining that 'I am the Judge and my decision will be final'

I guess, that statement sounded a bit arbitrary, so I will concede and will make adjustments.   

So: TEMAC whiners and guests attending the event will be the judges.  However MY DECISION WILL BE FINAL.

Tomorrow the Canadian Cub event schedule will be posted along with an explanation of the compromise described above.

As I have said, plan to be there, or be square.

The countdown continues, 5, 4, ....

Frank v B

Let's get this thing started. 

Sunday morning 9:30 am, I will be at Tim's Woodbine for the coffee top-up.  Then at 10 am. be at the field to set up planes and get the field ready for the Bruce and Bill Cub Show.
Event start is posted on our calendar for 1 pm.  That gives us two hours to fly and one hour to set up... oh... and eat our picnic lunch. :D

Bruce tells me the count-down is down to one hand of fingers.  Higher math!

Frank

bweaver

Cheers or Jeers  TEMACS Canadian Cub Fun Fly Challenge Rules

All pilots must register to fly in the event.  At registration the registrant will draw a number identifying his or her order of take off sequence (1st, 2nd, 3rd,  4th, etc., order to take off.) At registration contestants will declare what type of model they are flying in the Challenge. All aircraft must have functioning landing gear for take off, touch and go and landing.

A Cub type model aircraft starts the Event with a total of 75 points

A Canadian heritage type model aircraft starts the Event with 65 points

A Non-Cub or Non-Canadian type model aircraft starts the event with 50 Points

Each participant will fly Challenges A through Challenge E consecutively. The challenges are described below. The participants will be reminded of the Challenge sequence if they don't remember it. A contestant's flight should not last more than 5 minutes.
All flight lines are to be adhered to. (Don't fly over the road and don't fly over the west side of the geotex runway.)

Challenge A - 50 meter dash on takeoff between two designated points on the runway  (TIMED)

How fast can you go without taking off between two points on the runway (a start-line and a takeoff-line)?

The Pilot can stand at any one of the flight stations desired. The timer stands at the takeoff point and gives the 'go' signal to the pilot, who races the plane down the runway from the starting line to the takeoff line.

The time it takes to travel this distance while remaining on the runway between the two points is only recorded for successfully staying on the runway between the starting point and the take off point.

The judge will record the time.  (The time will be determined by a timer who will be using a stop watch.)

Deduct 10 points for having the aircraft's wheels lift off the runway before the designated takeoff point.

Challenge B - Two Loops

After taking off from Challenge A, proceed to fly 2 of the most magnificent loops.  Inside or outside loops are permitted.  Each loop must be completed with the wings relatively level.

Judging - Cheers or Jeers: TEMAC Members and guests attending are the judges and they will be surveyed to determine the performance quality of each loop. (Thumbs up/flags up/cheers reflect success. Thumbs down, flags lowered, jeers expressed reflect failure)

Deduct 10 points for each loop failed to complete

Challenge C - Limbo

Proceed to fly below the ribbons without touching the ground for the necessary distance to achieve a successful limbo.  (1 attempt only)

Judging - Cheers or Jeers: TEMAC Members and guests attending are the judges and they will be surveyed to determine the limbo performance. (Thumbs up/flags up/cheers reflect success. Thumbs down, flags lowered, jeets expressed reflect failure)

Deduct 10 points for failure to successfully go under the limbo
Add 20 points for completing limbo successfully while flying it inverted

Challenge D – Make a Touch-and-Go Within the Runway Target Area

Make one landing approach and complete one touch and go within the target area designated on the runway.  (1 attempt only)

Judging - Cheers or Jeers: TEMAC Members and guests attending are the judges and they will be surveyed to determine the limbo performance. (Thumbs up/flags up/cheers reflect success. Thumbs down, flags lowered, jeers expressed reflect failure)

Deduct 10 points for failure to complete the touch-and-go in the designated touch and go target area

Challenge E - Precision Landing

Land on the Geotex runway and stop on the Geotex runway.

Deduct 10 points for failing to land and stop on the runway.

Judging - Cheers or Jeers: TEMAC Members and guests attending are the judges and they will be surveyed to determine the limbo performance. (Thumbs up/flags up/cheers reflect success. Thumbs down, flags lowered, jeers expressed reflect failure)

Winner Determination:

The challenge Judge will document the performance of each participant, based upon the crowds Cheers or Jeers. 
Once all competitors have competed the challenge, the scores will be tallied. 
In the event of a tie involving points, the fastest time in 50 meter take off dash will be declared the winner. 
In the event, there still is a tie, there will be a Hula Hoop competition held to determine the winner, once again, in this instance the winner will be determined by the crowds Cheers or Jeers.

Countdown 3, 2, 1

Frank v B

Guys,

Help me out.  Bruce, the Wizzard of Warwings is meeting me Sunday morning at 9:30 for coffee before heading to the field.  I need protection from his verbal abuse  ;) and endless laughter :).  How about the usual suspects like Rob D., Richard B., Gerald.... even Andy H. helping me out by meeting us there.

Bruce will make me do the Timbit Limbo, The caffeine high jump, then the Donut dunk. ;D.... on my day off. :D

Frank

Michael

(I forgot about this, and I forgot who gave it to me, but ....)

This was given to me by one of our members to be auctioned or given away as a prize.

We can give it as a prize this Sunday, if you guys want.

It looks brand new!

Michael