Working on my New Ultra Sport

Started by octagon, June 24, 2018, 06:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

I always thought the  Ultra Sport was a cool looking plane, and it's excellent flight characteristics are legendary, so when I saw a Great Planes ARF at Pinnacle I decided to get it, as who knows what is going to happen to GPs after the purchase of Hobbico by Horizon. Anyway ordered some good servos for it from Savox. The plane came with mechanical retracts, and this is only the second time I have installed mechanicals, and the first attempt ended in frustration and replacement with servoless gear. This worked almost perfectly right from the beginning  with the servo stalling only in the down position. I fiddled around with the travel adjustment on the radio but could not get rid of the stalling, so I simply moved the connection one hole more toward the centre of the servo so as to reduce the travel. I was very happy when that fixed the problem entirely. I will use an Eflite 52 I have and fly it on 6S I think, but maybe 5. They say the thing flies pretty fast, just over 100 mph full throttle, so it should be exciting. We are going to NYC next weekend, so I will miss the Cub fly (hey I'm the reining champion so I hate to miss it), but I should be able to get the Ultra finished in time for the weekend after.
What could possibly go wrong?

octagon

So, tonight I mounted the motor. Got it all glued and clamped and just gave the motor a twist to make sure everything was good. To my dismay the motor would barely turn, not just notchy but hard to turn. It is an Eflite Power 46 and came strait out of another plane that I flew last summer. So after using thread locker on the screws that attach the mount to the back of the motor, and taking out the long screws that hold the mount to the firewall, the motor was free. Took off the collet on the back of the motor shaft and pulled the motor apart, do discover that a small 1/8th washer had attached itself to the magnets in the motor. Glad it was only that, but what a pain! All good now, 30 minute epoxy is setting and then I will re attach the motor.
What could possibly go wrong?