DH100 Vampire & DH110 Sea Vixen

Started by RogMason, July 09, 2018, 04:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogMason

The latest DH Apprentice Tech School magazine arrived, with a nice bit of background bumph on the DH100 Vampire. 
Thought some of you Vampire fans might enjoy...?
'Roger That...'

Andy Hoffer

Interesting historical notes Roger.  Thanks for posting this!

Andy

octagon

Thanks Rog,
I can remember as a boy, my dad took me to Malton Airport and I remember seeing a number of Vampire Jets in a compound adjacent to the terminal building. I also remember seeing wooden crates labeled Rolls Royce Merlin stacked up outside. Thanks for posting.
What could possibly go wrong?

RogMason

Interesting that there were a number of Vampires there Rob?  6 Vampires belonging to RAF 54 squadron, were the first jet aircraft to cross the Atlantic Ocean but that was 1948, so I doubt they were the ones you saw with your Dad?  They landed in Labrador and then went on a North American tour.
'Roger That...'

Milt

I also remember the lineup of Vampires parked at Malton.  I liked the look of the Vampire as a boy and still like it. My friend and I rode our bikes from Scarlett Road west on Dixon Road to check out Malton Airport.  We carried a crystal set with a 2'x2' frame wound up with fine wire for an antenna to try to listen to the tower.  CFRB dominated every signal but we might have heard a bit of com talk.  I was fortunate in that my parents didn't interfere much in my childhood.
Oh yeah, I saw the Arrow fly 2-3 times flanked by CF100s- quite a sight.

Milt
Milt Charlton