Ben Rodgers, TEMAC#314

Started by Ben Rodgers, July 20, 2018, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Rodgers

Greetings Everyone! 

I had a mirthful time joining TEMAC last summer and earning my wings with great guidance from Michael, Simon, Graham, the Early Morning crew and many others (apologies if I've left you out).  In 2018 it has been difficult to make it to Rogo Field (I've only been once so far!!  :-[) due to a demanding work schedule in the solar power industry that takes me to the US a lot. 

I've been flying since 2013, mostly guerrilla-style, on land and water, at cottages and vacant lots near Mazinaw Lake with my flying and modeling friend Bill, who lives in Ottawa.  We grew up together in Oshawa, and meet roughly halfway to fly whenever our families can spare us for a couple of days.  I have a SuperCub LP, a Valiant, a Radian Pro, a UM Habu and a discus-launch Birdie glider from HK that a neighbour gave me.

I am passionate about electric flight in particular because I see it as a good application for solar power.  Most of my flying is done on energy harvested from the sun, and if anyone is interested in solar powering their aircraft, I can help.

I look forward to being more present with TEMAC and meeting more of you--I don't know when, but everything happens in its time!

Best Regards,
Ben.
per ardua ad astra

sihinch

Nice to have you back Ben!

Is it you that has organized so much sun so far this summer?  ;D

Ben Rodgers

Hey, Simon--great to hear from you! 

I would take credit for the sun if I could, but I only make my living off of it like everyone else!  It's torture seeing all this great flying weather and not being able to get out!

Best Regards,

Ben.
per ardua ad astra

Frank v B

Ben,

Thanks for the update.  Some of the Ryerson University boys (Bill, Travis) will probably want to talk to you about their new project.  It is Solar powered.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Ben Rodgers

That would be great Frank!  Feel free to put me in touch with any of them: [email protected] or through this forum.

Best Regards,

Ben.
per ardua ad astra

Bill B

Hi Ben, nice to meet you. I'm Bill, one of the Ryerson guys. I hope to get a forum post going soon about our project, but in the meantime, here is a quick intro. We have been working for a year or so on a Solar-powered autonomous aircraft, with the main goal being to set the world record for the longest continuous flight (currently 14 days). We would love to talk.... Any chance we could meet up? Maybe meet at TEMAC for some quick flights and we can get you more information.

Ben Rodgers

Hi Bill! 
I work downtown at 20 Victoria, not far from Ryerson, and could meet you there as well if convenient.
Also, I may have a bit of free time in the next couple of weeks--it has been a difficult and busy summer, but if I can get to the field I will definitely let you know.  If you're going please do the same!
Not sure if you've seen this guy before:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2iCj-HSqY  RC Test Flight on YouTube--Kind of interesting, but very trial and error.
Best Regards,
Ben--416-361-1851
per ardua ad astra