Holey Laminated Warwing Batman!

Started by bweaver, August 03, 2018, 07:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicwhit

Where are the holes?

Bruce and I are out practicing now, getting ready for you.
Do it while you can.

bweaver

@sihinch, Re: "The deadly game of cat & mouse continues!  ;D"

And which one are you?   ???

bweaver

@vicwhit and I had a combat dual this morning resulting in the loud "THUD" of a mid-air collision, followed by the hushed silence of the crowd and the rapid pitter-patter thumping of my heart.  But to Vic's and my amazement and to the crowds disappointment, there was no resultant blue foam cascading/raining to the ground as normally experienced after hearing that familiar 'THUD'.  There were only two Warwings bouncing off each other, recovering to fly on further into battle, which resulted in a draw. (No damage to either craft.)

Then @electroflyer arrived at the field as Vic and I had just finished.  He was still wiping the sleep from his eyes.  Glenn was easily encouraged to get into another challenge with Vic and I.  This time I took Glenn's streamer, only to result in my motor starting to choke out with the tangle of ribbon slowing it down.  A few 'ups' and 'downs' on the throttle stick cleared the streamer from the motor, allowing it to power up again, along with cheers from crowd. The challenge continued resulting in nothing else happening other than a few close calls and Vic's ditch into the beans.  So sad, too bad.

I can't wait for the Funfly ...  Get your Warwings ready...  Practice if you think it will help...

Canuke

Sorry guys I agree with an earlier post by Bruce. The current warwings with the laminate are almost indestructible.  Bruce hit Vic's wing  today. No damage to Vic's plane. Both wings carried on and landed at the end of the time period. Wings have to be damaged and perhaps crash to have fun. I won't fly fly against them with my "normal" warwing and I won't laminate mine.  IMO have these laminate wings to fly around and have fun with and have normal (crashable) wings for combat.  I have 2 extra "normal" warwings for the clubs upcoming combat session which I will let anyone that doesn't have one borrow.

bweaver

Quote from: Canuke on August 14, 2018, 05:17:53 PM
Sorry guys I agree with an earlier post by Bruce. The current warwings with the laminate are almost indestructible.  Bruce hit Vic's wing  today. No damage to Vic's plane. Both wings carried on and landed at the end of the time period. Wings have to be damaged and perhaps crash to have fun. I won't fly fly against them with my "normal" warwing and I won't laminate mine. IMO have these laminate wings to fly around and have fun with and have normal (crashable) wings for combat.  I have 2 extra "normal" warwings for the clubs upcoming combat session which I will let anyone that doesn't have one borrow.

@Canuke - Am I correct to interpret your statement to mean that if I have a regular non-laminated non-holey, flimsy as ...t blue foam Warwing, you will still fly combat against me and others because you like to see the blue foam pieces from your plane cascading down from the sky?  If yes, you are on. I will challenge you and anyone thinking like you using a 'normal' Warwing.  I will even fly it!

As we speak (type), I am building a standard Warwing to take up your challenge.  After our future combat session Jim, please don't have Sandra send me another nasty email when you bring your broken Warwing home in pieces again.  You know I am only trying to cut your ribbon, but sometimes things just happen.  ::)

bweaver

Laminated Warwing vs non-laminated Warwing.  Which is stronger?  The challenge when I started this experiment was to improve on @vicwhit 's Warwing modifications to not only make the airframe stronger but to make the motor mount stronger as he suggested. 

Is it possible to make the motor mount on the plane too strong?  You tell me.   ??? ??? ???

The photo below shows the Warwing's motor mount was unharmed, but the motor's mount was destroyed.  This damage resulted after Vic, @Crazyflyer and I had a combat session yesterday in preparation for the upcoming funfly.  Vic took an inch of ribbon off of Glenn's Warwing. (Good try) Shortly after this Vic's plane suffered fatigue and had to bow out of the challenge.  I was able to take half of Glenn's ribbon as the battle continued.  Not be out done, Glenn continued to pursue me until the unavoidable happened.  A mid-air with some shredded blue foam and motor falling from the sky (Glenn's) and my plane coming down as well with the motor hanging by the wires.  Glenn's Warwing is recoverable.  Mine is unscathed, except for having to remove the remnants of my motor from the airframes motor mount.  I hope I have another part for the motor.  (Refer to photos below) 

Canuke

Bruce, your post just confirms my earlier comment. The laminated wings are too strong, when the motor mount is the weakest part of the warwing and your wing was "unscathed" after the impact it proves my point.
In combat all the wings should either be laminated (probably little or no damage when they hit) or all be unlaminated (normal?) and have them take damage when hit and perhaps crash. You know which side of the argument I like.

bweaver

@Canuke , there is going to be more than enough non-laminated Warwings available to challenge you once or twice, because that is all it will take to take your ribbon down in shards/shreds/confetti.  Just try to avoid the unavoidable.  I know you are excited. 

Please wait until the Funfly so that I can be one of the many wishing to challenge you and others with a non-laminated Warwing....

But eventually you will cave...  @vicwhit has tons of laminate made just for you.

sihinch

My laminated wing breaks cover this week.... ;D

Canuke

No Problem. I still have lots of Vic's laminate but I will still still be in combat on the side of the "normal" wings. It will be interesting to see the results if we have 2 combats. One with laminate wings and one with normal wings. Bruce, are you going to combat with both types? As mentioned earlier, I have 3 normal warwings if anyone wants to fly one of them. If so let me know so I don't bring out all 3 if no-one wants to fly one.

bweaver

Quote from: Canuke on August 20, 2018, 06:28:34 PM
No Problem. I still have lots of Vic's laminate but I will still still be in combat on the side of the "normal" wings. It will be interesting to see the results if we have 2 combats. One with laminate wings and one with normal wings. Bruce, are you going to combat with both types? As mentioned earlier, I have 3 normal warwings if anyone wants to fly one of them. If so let me know so I don't bring out all 3 if no-one wants to fly one.

@Canuke ,  I am working on a non-laminated version to fly just when you're flying.  I hope that will make you happy.

Regarding whether you should bring out more than one Warwing because you have three?  Knowing how well you do in our combat challenges, you will need more than one Warwing to fly if you want to participate in more than one heat (let alone lending one or two.)  ;D 

On the other hand Jim, I might wish to borrow one from you depending on how well I do or don't do with my non-laminated Warwing. ::)

bweaver

Well a few more combat incidents revealed further strengths of the laminated Warwing and more failures of steel or aluminum motor components mounting components. (Laminated blue foam structure remains like a rock).

I have had a severe plunge into the ground.  The prop broke.  No other damage. 

Then in another incident Vic and I had a thunderous head on collision resulting in my Warwing crashing into the ground from at least 50 ft.  No damage to the Warwing structure other than having to replace the plywood firewall and repair the motors steel/aluminum mounting component.  (Refer to photos below.)

Canuke

Thanks Bruce. I'm not sure if you are bragging or complaining about the laminated warwings?

bweaver

Quote from: Canuke on September 24, 2018, 09:41:17 AM
Thanks Bruce. I'm not sure if you are bragging or complaining about the laminated warwings?

@Canuke - Jim, in response to your inquiry - actually it is a little of both.  (1) The laminated Warwing is the way to go. (2) I'm sorry that they give you grief.

Let's face it, for those who enjoy flying combat or racing with their Warwing, it's my opinion, while it doesn't take long to repair or build a Warwing replacement, it is somewhat inconvenient and discouraging. It is for this reason that I have taken to Vic's laminating practice.  Obviously laminating the Warwing strengthens the structure, reducing my repair and reconstruction time to a minimum.  Now I can spend more time selecting the color of my combat/racing streamers.

The other day I went into Lowes to purchase a number of 1/2 inch blue foam boards to get started on this winters kitting process.   

AAAAHHHHHH! they didn't have any!   ???