Labour Day flying ...

Started by Michael, September 03, 2018, 09:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Weather is nice now, rain forecast at 2.

I'm flying 11 to 2.

Michael

Michael

Several members, students and visitors came out today. The weather was significantly better than forecast.

I was there from 11 to 2, and did lots of flying. We had 2 competitions with our warwings, at least 6 flyers flying in each.

The first competition was a combination race and combat, and despite a lot of cheating (too tight turns) by me, there was no clear winner. On the second competition, combat only, I snagged two other flyers ribbons (Glenn's and Bruces's)!

My warwings are equipped with plastic screws to help catch the ribbons. They worked well!  ;D

Michael

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Michael on September 03, 2018, 02:41:36 PM
Several members, students and visitors came out today. The weather was significantly better than forecast.

I was there from 11 to 2, and did lots of flying. We had 2 competitions with our warwings, at least 6 flyers flying in each.

The first competition was a combination race and combat, and despite a lot of cheating (too tight turns) by me, there was no clear winner. On the second competition, combat only, I snagged two other flyers ribbons (Glenn's and Bruces's)!

My warwings are equipped with plastic screws to help catch the ribbons. They worked well! ;D

Fabulous idea @Michael .  This greatly increases the catchment area and efficiency of each leading edge.  BRAVO!!   :D

Andy

Canuke

I'm finished with war wing combat. The early days were fun. Trying to hit and knock the other wings out of the air was enjoyable.  Now with cut outs and laminated wings (can't damaged them) and Pegs sticking out to catch as many streamers as possible ( I thought of adding one foot dowels to all 4 surfaces but rethought it, perhaps someone else can try it). My warwings are now going to be regular flying planes (unless someone wants to buy one?).  Athol was enjoying his flying around today. I'll still enjoy watching the combat from my chair.

bweaver

@Michael  , that was quite the Warwing race and combat challenges we experienced today.  Your success at taking Glenn's and my streamers in the same session is unlikely to happen again!  The challenge to do better is on...  (By the way, thank you for being so kind as to return our streamers when you landed.)

@Canuke , you will be somewhat pleased to hear that my ordinary non-laminated blue foam Warwing (I built primarily to challenge you) provided a direct hit to @vicwhit 's laminated Warwing with cut outs.  It took Vic's down, but I think Vic may be looking at rebuild pretty soon!  My left wing was cracked, only spreading a bit in flight, but the hit did not cause my plane to come down.  I was able to continue with challenge and land when the battery gave out.  Nothing a little Gorilla Glue can't repair. 

Come on Jim, don't quite.  I see a yellow chicken pendant becoming prominent in your future.  (Imagine what it takes to chicken out with 3 flyable Warwings in the hanger.)

I foresee a burden possibly being lifted from @Andy Hoffer 's neck.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on September 03, 2018, 11:08:37 PM
@Michael  , that was quite the Warwing race and combat challenges we experienced today.  Your success at taking Glenn's and my streamers in the same session is unlikely to happen again!  The challenge to do better is on...  (By the way, thank you for being so kind as to return our streamers when you landed.)

@Canuke , you will be somewhat pleased to hear that my ordinary non-laminated blue foam Warwing (I built primarily to challenge you) provided a direct hit to @vicwhit 's laminated Warwing with cut outs.  It took Vic's down, but I think Vic may be looking at rebuild pretty soon!  My left wing was cracked, only spreading a bit in flight, but the hit did not cause my plane to come down.  I was able to continue with challenge and land when the battery gave out.  Nothing a little Gorilla Glue can't repair. 

Come on Jim, don't quite.  I see a yellow chicken pendant becoming prominent in your future.  (Imagine what it takes to chicken out with 3 flyable Warwings in the hanger.)

I foresee a burden possibly being lifted from @Andy Hoffer 's neck.

My new yellow chicken buddy has actually become quite comfortable in my shop.  She is great company when I am working on new projects and repairs, and is good conversation when we are driving to the field.  And she really likes my collection of @bweaver photos.  I don't think she will want to move out!!  :D

Andy

bweaver

Re: My new yellow chicken buddy has actually become quite comfortable in my shop.  She is great company when I am working on new projects and repairs, and is good conversation when we are driving to the field.  And she really likes my collection of @bweaver photos.  I don't think she will want to move out!!  :D

Andy

@Andy Hoffer , I am so glad to see that you have made a friend and both of you have achieved an apparent bond. 

I am however somewhat concerned about the circumstances where you state "and is good conversation when we are driving to the field."
1) What is the chicken saying?
2) I wouldn't believe a word it was saying, if it was talking about me.
3) Really Andy, this is the part that I truly can't believe; you would let the chicken get a word in, once conversation started.

While this resulting relationship wasn't what was envisioned when the 'chicken pendant' was awarded to you at last month's Fun Fly;  a solution has come to light that won't take your friend away. 

A second 'chicken pendant' has risen. 

Should the 2nd 'chicken pendant' recipient bond with it too, there could even be a third, fourth, fifth...  The 'chicken pendant' could become a much coveted fashion accessory at TEMAC.

Michael

Quote from: Canuke on September 03, 2018, 07:14:10 PM
I'm finished with war wing combat. The early days were fun. Trying to hit and knock the other wings out of the air was enjoyable.  Now with cut outs and laminated wings (can't damaged them) and Pegs sticking out to catch as many streamers as possible ( I thought of adding one foot dowels to all 4 surfaces but rethought it, perhaps someone else can try it). My warwings are now going to be regular flying planes (unless someone wants to buy one?).  Athol was enjoying his flying around today. I'll still enjoy watching the combat from my chair.

My customized plastic screws are not exactly the pinnacle of modern engineering. After a full season of using them in warwing-combat, this was the first time they were effective.

The plastic screws were pre-approved by our combat master, Bruce.

I don't see why anyone else can't do the same thing; the total cost was about $2, and the installation took 2 minutes.

The new days are also fun.
Michael

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Michael on September 04, 2018, 11:10:17 AM
Quote from: Canuke on September 03, 2018, 07:14:10 PM

My customized plastic screws are not exactly the pinnacle of modern engineering. After a full season of using them in warwing-combat, this was the first time they were effective.

The plastic screws were pre-approved by our combat master, Bruce.

I don't see why anyone else can't do the same thing; the total cost was about $2, and the installation took 2 minutes.

The new days are also fun.

Yup!  A fabulous spectator sport!!!   8)

Me and my Guardian Chicken

Canuke

To each his own. I have no problem with the current "improvements."  I enjoyed the earlier ordinary war-wing combat. Not so much now.  I'll still enjoy participating in the earlier combat versions and watching the latest combats with the new war-wing ideas. The rest of us can sit and solve the world problems as we normally do.