Flight Instructor available for Sunday Sept 9 10-1

Started by Frank v B, September 07, 2018, 08:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

I will be at the field Sunday from about 10 am to 1 pm.... weather permitting.  The forecast on the radio tonight indicated "rains of biblical proportions" Sunday evening.  The morning should be fine.  Maybe I should bring my R/C tug boat. ;)

Will post an update.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on September 07, 2018, 08:25:06 PM
I will be at the field Sunday from about 10 am to 1 pm.... weather permitting.  The forecast on the radio tonight indicated "rains of biblical proportions" Sunday evening.  The morning should be fine.  Maybe I should bring my R/C tug boat. ;)

Will post an update.

Frank

Hey @Frank v B ,

Noah's Ark perhaps, with two of each kind of plane and radio?    :D

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

re:"Noah's Ark perhaps, with two of each kind of plane and radio?    :D"

.. and two photographers? ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on September 08, 2018, 01:05:13 PM
Andy,

re:"Noah's Ark perhaps, with two of each kind of plane and radio?    :D"

.. and two photographers? ;D

Frank

Absolutely!.  That's the only way to keep them honest!!

Andy

Frank v B

I will be at Tim's Woodbine for 9:30 and at the field at 10 am.... come hell and high water. ;D
The forecast looks good enough to get out of bed in time!

Frank

Frank v B

Well, it was dry, cold and yes... the wind was directly across the field (from the east). 
Only Cadez was stupid committed enough to show up with Sophia.  I had 3 flights- one with the .46 size Mustang and two with the 60 size Mr. Shifter pattern plane.  The good news about the cross wind was that I could take off to the south and land from the south and not have to worry about the road.  Both these planes need headwinds to slow down enough for a landing.

The photo is of the 3 planes I brought today.  Did not fly the RareBear because I prefer a hand launch from a helper.  It has poor man's retracts (no wheels).

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on September 09, 2018, 01:22:23 PM
Well, it was dry, cold and yes... the wind was directly across the field (from the east).
Only Cadez was stupid committed enough to show up with Sophia.  I had 3 flights- one with the .46 size Mustang and two with the 60 size Mr. Shifter pattern plane.  The good news about the cross wind was that I could take off to the south and land from the south and not have to worry about the road.  Both these planes need headwinds to slow down enough for a landing.

The photo is of the 3 planes I brought today.  Did not fly the RareBear because I prefer a hand launch from a helper.  It has poor man's retracts (no wheels).

Frank

Hey @Frank v B ,

I never could quite figure out the difference between headwinds, crosswinds and tailwinds, and what they do.  I'd sure appreciate it if you could help me understand how a wind from "directly across the field (from the east)" helps you "slow down enough for a landing" from the south.  @bweaver might also be able to offer some sagely insights.   8)

Attentively yours,

Andy

P.S.  It was a beautiful morning to sleep in!

A

Frank v B

Andy,

re: "directly across the field (from the east)" helps you "slow down enough for a landing" from the south. 

Lemme Splain something to you.

When there is a cross wind, there is no head-wind to make your take-off shorter... before you hit the road.  The luxury of being able to take off southbound and land northbound gave me about three times the space to speed up after taking off and three times the distance to slow down versus having to do it from the north or to the north.
.... but of course you knew that.  Your body just got out of bed way before you found the "on" switch for your brain. ;)

Frank